SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Revisionland

Discussion started on

Hello everyone. I'm back! Third round of revisions. I had a lot of great crits on my first five from writeoncon that really helped me to see where I was slowing things down or using too many words, etc. So, armed with that knowledge, I've already made big cuts in word count and combined a couple chapters. Maybe I won't end up with a 100,000 MG novel afterall!  Just finished chapter 10, which used to be chapter 11. I'm trying to get two chapters in a day with the thought that maybe, just maybe, I can finish this round of revisions before having a baby.
#211 - August 19, 2013, 10:38 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Laura, I'm glad you're safe!

I now have an official deadline for finishing. And, you remember that first scene I had nailed a few days ago? Well, I've rewritten it from scratch again. But, lucky #7 is a charm. This one has the officlal go ahead. Phew--at least for now.   :star2 :crossedfingers :star2

Good luck with all the first drafting and edit finishing. I'm jealous.

AmandaSue, sound like you're making some serious headway.  :clapping

#212 - August 20, 2013, 06:01 PM
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Member.
Poster Plus
Congrats, Pat--way to keep going until you got it!

Amanda, I'm sure the baby will understand that you have edits to finish, right?!?  :pregnant

Nice work, Leandra!

And good work with all the first drafts!

I'm starting to find my way back to writing as summer vacation winds down. I'm taking another look at the ms I have on agent sub before sending out a fresh round of queries.

I've started writing PBs again this summer, too, and I cannot believe how much I love it. I have one ms that is in a pretty good state, I'm getting a second ready for critiques this weekend, and a third is an absolute mess, but it is goofy and crazy, and that counts for something.  :nanana:

Happy writing to all!
#213 - August 20, 2013, 07:24 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
AmandaSue- whew, you're doing some good work for being about ready to pop! When I was almost there, all I wanted to do was loll around on the couch like a beached whale, lol. You go! And when I finally finished the first draft of my YA ms, it was at 107, 000 words- when my goal was to be in the 80,000s- but since then I've cut 11, 000 words. A super great feeling!  :superwoman

Pat- An official deadline? Makes me sweat just thinking abou it!  ;D But I'm sure you'll have no probs!

RaeE- I would love to attempt a PB someday, but it just seems so daunting. No idea why! But glad it's going great for you!

#214 - August 21, 2013, 12:52 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
I've been really lazy lately and not worked for a substantial time. But I have the manuscript in my bag, for that's a start. John will be away with the witch mother tomorrow, so I might just get on with it.
Speaking of that woman, she's now on the phone to John in the sitting room, asking if I've stopped him from ringing her. I couldn't and wouldn't. :ranting:
Sorry, but that woman drives me nuts. I'm so glad I don't have a ring on my finger!
Perfect character building exercise there and it wouldn't be nice. :grrr

:wine :wine I need a few of these since I can't find a beer bottle.
Hope your day is better.
#215 - August 23, 2013, 09:39 AM

AmandaSue - Yay for your progress and for tightening up your MG! :)
Pat - You're such a hard worker. I'm sure it will pay off with a sparkling ms!  :goldstar

RaeE - Yay for PB love! Good luck!  :clover

Leandra - Yay for cutting :scissors: and making that ms leaner and meaner!  :dancer
Thundering - Sorry for the aggravation. I'm sure Spock is on your side. :cat

I finally got my line-edits from the copy-editor, but I've been so busy with chores I haven't started revising yet. Thank goodness I've (mostly) finished the cooking/cleaning, and I'll embark on the revision cruise soon.  :cruise
#216 - August 24, 2013, 10:10 PM
Soul Cutter ~ YA Horror/Romance (MuseItUp Publishing Dec 2013)
Blog: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/

Ah, up to chapter 17 and I think I'm going to be able to combine it with 18 (both used to be 19 and 20). Sweet!

Had a new reader today read my first two chapters. I sent her my whole ms up until ch. 16 and asked her to just read the first two. She went ahead and read the whole thing because she was so intrigued and wanted to find out what happened! Yay! Talk about motivation.
#217 - August 24, 2013, 10:33 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
AmandaSue- thats so great about the MS feedback!! Is you due date very soon?

Laura- Yay for being 10K into new WIP! I'm so happy you are safe! I was wondering. My agent's son lives there too and his office is right in the middle of it. Looks very scary from over here!  :hug

Thundering- oh you poor thing! But this will make for a great horrible character someday maybe?  :ha

RaeE- good luck with your queries, and yay for PB writing! I want to do that someday.

Leandra- I like how you celebrate with chicken fingers! I'd be all over the chocolate or some  :wine or maybe both!

Patty-hope that scene is all done, finito and perfect now.  :star2

I am beyond thrilled to be done with my first horrible draft! Now I get to come back to my Revisionland home!!! And I'll be here for a long long long time since I am super slow with revising. Revisions will distract me from checking my email every half hour  :pullhair:
#218 - August 25, 2013, 10:04 AM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks for checking in, Laura, and I'm glad you are safe.

I'm just checking in too because I'm not currently revising, but rather first drafting, and it's slow, but I'm plugging along. I hope to be a true revisionlander again in a few months.

Pat, way to rock that first chapter!  :goodluck
Keep going, Jody! I'm just back into R-land. Hope your first draft is done soon!
#219 - August 25, 2013, 10:06 AM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Ah, up to chapter 17 and I think I'm going to be able to combine it with 18 (both used to be 19 and 20). Sweet!

I love it when this happens. I came across a chapter where I needed to cut 3/4 of it. The ms was improved and I enjoyed a big kick forward in revising.
#220 - August 25, 2013, 11:20 AM

Z-cat

Look at everyone working away! I love it!  :clapping
It' been BUSY around here!

I was just getting the steam going on my new WIP when I had an agent update. She really liked the last revision. One more read through to make sure it's as perfect as I can make it, and then it'll be out the door. Eek!!

So, off to do some reading for me.

As for the rest of you - keep up the good work!
#221 - August 25, 2013, 11:42 AM

Laura, bon voyage!  :beach And welcome aboard, Shanny. It feels good to have the trench filling up again.

:goodluck times a million, Lindsay. That's scary and wonderful news.

I'm moving forward at a more normal pace  :snail.  On chapter 3 right now. Its first scene was strong and polished in the last draft, but now it has to change because of my new chapter 1 & 2.   :P
#222 - August 25, 2013, 12:35 PM
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 12:57 PM by PatEsden »
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Look at everyone working away! I love it!  :clapping
It' been BUSY around here!

I was just getting the steam going on my new WIP when I had an agent update. She really liked the last revision. One more read through to make sure it's as perfect as I can make it, and then it'll be out the door. Eek!!

So, off to do some reading for me.

As for the rest of you - keep up the good work!

Yay Lindsey!!
#223 - August 25, 2013, 06:46 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
 :woo for Lindsey!

Pat, I think revising is like house cleaning. Everything I do just seems to make the rest of the house look dirty.  :mop:
#224 - August 25, 2013, 07:02 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Thanks for your kind thoughts Jody, Shanny, and Pat  :grouphug2:

Shanny - You finished your new ms already? Awesome! :yeah  I'm afraid I wont be done until Nov. I'm bogged down with line edits, and I may write a free short story to promote my book. But I'll meet you back in Revisionland some day! :grin3  (Strange coincidence about your agent's son being here, but I think everything's settling down. And the media is focusing on Syria now, so they'll stop scaring all our tourists away.)

Good luck Laurel and Lindsey!  :goodluck

Pat - I'm glad 1 & 2 are done! Good luck on Chapter 3!  :goldstar

DewsandDamps -  :haha
#225 - August 26, 2013, 11:28 PM
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 11:34 PM by Laura_6 »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Congratulations to everyone making such good progress. I was plugging along pretty well until yesterday when life applied the brakes. I won't be able to get back to revising until Thursday. I'll be sitting in court with a friend of mine, which is an energy draining experience.

Good luck to all!

Laurel
#226 - August 27, 2013, 07:34 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Laura: I got seriously worried for you until I went back through the posts here. Males (since one beasty is in heaven, John's now back in his human status)around have prevented me from doing any great deal of work. John is being a real grouch, but I am attributing that to his mother, as I always do.
A guest speaker at our SCBWI meeting on Saturday. She was actually the head of our country's chapter until the start of the year when her book was being published. I'll be glad to see her, we haven't met since a conference in 2010.
Hope you guys continue to work more diligently than I have.
It will change in September...in theory.

Best of luck, Laura. I'll miss you around here. :hug1
Don't forget to stuff yourself with with my chocolate. Purely for therapeutic reasons, naturally.
#227 - August 28, 2013, 07:35 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Yesterday went better than we thought in court and we don't have to go back today. Yeah!  :shootingstar  I think the afternoon is clear for revising.
#228 - August 28, 2013, 09:20 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Laura, I'm happy things are settling down over there. Be safe and pop in here whenever you can  :hug

Patty, I'll give you some lovely candles for hiding away to revise! You can do it!! :cheerleader

Laurel, that's great news you don't have to go back to court, and you sound like a great friend!

Thanks always for chocolate, Thundering. I will take it.
#229 - August 29, 2013, 09:58 AM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Thundering - your truffles sound so good, I think I'll try making some when the weather cools off. We are in the middle of a heat wave at the moment.
#230 - August 29, 2013, 03:11 PM

Thanks, Shanny and Thundering - I'm still okay over here!  :grouphug2:

Wishing Shanny, Thundering, Pat and Laurel good luck with revisions and life in general!  :flowers2

I finished my line edits (this round anyway). She still has to edit my blurb, and I'm waiting on a cover artist. (There's a lot of waiting in publishing, ya know?) I have a writing.com newsletter to write, a short story to outline (a freebie to promo my book), and my WIP to work on. I need more hours in the day!!  :inbox:
#231 - August 31, 2013, 10:47 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Thundering - your truffles sound so good, I think I'll try making some when the weather cools off. We are in the middle of a heat wave at the moment.
One tip, Pons: NO CREAM!! I got that from a guy I buy the chocolate and he sourced the answer from a chocolate manufacturer. Every recipe says to use heavy cream, but it just makes them gooey. It's always hot in a kitchen. Heat shouldn't really an excuse. :ha

Had a brilliant day yesterday, apart from when taking a trip to shopping mall and buying the most burger I've had in a long time. Don't sandwich bars exist everywhere? Apparently not.

Anyway, it was of the SCBWI meeting so I had other things on my mind. Since the last one, we've taken on four new members so it's still tiny (we fit into a small meeting in a public library) but we are expanding. I was first to do a reading and I hate it.
It is a good point to see where I am going wrong...and there's plenty of that.
Laura: can you pass on those revision points to me? I'm still useless.

Spock's assuming his rightful status as laptop number two, but he doesn't come with an in-built keyboard either so I will shift him soon.

More chocolates on their way next week, probably.
#232 - September 01, 2013, 06:14 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Thundering - What should I use instead of cream for the truffles?
#233 - September 01, 2013, 05:08 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Thundering - What should I use instead of cream for the truffles?
More chocolate! :grin3  Actually, in all seriousness, that is the truth.  For white chocolate: use the required weight of chocolate and use 1/3 of that weight of unsalted butter. Melt the chocolate over the pot of water and stir until it coats the back of a spoon. Take off the heat and add the butter, stirring very quickly until the butter incorporates. It has to be really quick and I can't stress that enough. Otherwise it will split and you'll will end up with gloop (which I usually end up using a hot chocolate).

Dark chocolate is much easier. Around 400g chocolate and 50g butter.
Sorry, I might sound all technical and know-all, but it took me ages to learn. I suppose John did me a favour by rejecting my cake. I would never have started all the sweet-making.

Revisions start next week. John won't be around!
#234 - September 03, 2013, 07:34 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Thanks, Thundering. I've never heard of making truffles with butter instead of cream. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Is that Spock in your avatar?
#235 - September 03, 2013, 09:37 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Congratulations, Pat.

I'm on my second round of revisions and I keep finding chapters that need a lot of work and chapters that don't. It's like two different people have been writing: this chapter is nice and tight and that chapter definitely isn't. Right now I'm in the middle of a pretty shiny chapter, so I'm happy about that.

Laurel
#236 - September 04, 2013, 07:24 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
No work: I'm truffling again.
Pons: yes, that is Spock. The slouch potato. He is probably there now, but since I am in my room, I can't see him.
Actually, I got about a page worth of revision done today. It's something.

Spock has now moved over: John is playing on PS2, sprawled on the living room floor. Spock is perched on John's hip, preening himself. It's quite amusing. Not for John, he's got a body. Spock, that is, not John. I don't intend to find if he has. :spaz

Hope you carry one, peeps. I will too, eventually.
#237 - September 05, 2013, 08:31 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Well all, I'm done w/the revision camp for a bit! Just sent it off to my critique partners and will hear what they have to say in a few weeks. Then it'll be back to this:  :typing
#238 - September 06, 2013, 08:52 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Congratulations to Leandra and Pat for finishing revisions.

I got through almost a whole chapter yesterday, which is pretty amazing for me. I have discovered that when a sentence or paragraph absolutely will not behave, sometimes the best thing to do is delete it. I've done this several times and I don't miss any of the outcasts. Maybe I should do it more.  :lol5

Laurel
#239 - September 06, 2013, 09:16 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
That sounds like a good method, Pons, I'll have to try that sometime!
#240 - September 07, 2013, 11:38 AM

Members: