SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Revisionland

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
My previous posts (particularly the last one) always make me realise I could really do with revising what I type more than my own work. That is one reason why I write longhand. I can rarely think and type! :slaphead: :slaphead:
Clumsy vulcan (Spock, of course) stepped his paw onto the cooker ring last night and let this tiny little whimper. Thankfully it taught him a lesson not to step onto hot surfaces. He spent most of my cooking time in the bread bin this evening.
I just thought I would show you some of my latest batch.
Work tomorrow. I'll be on my own in the coffee haven.
Talk to you after.
Pons: I reckon you could almost do something with those outcasts elsewhere.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
#241 - September 07, 2013, 01:35 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
They look yummy, thundering! And I just finished eating supper so I could really go for a sweet finish!  :laugh
#242 - September 07, 2013, 05:18 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I've made it through 8,000 words in my first major revision, and I keep struggling with my MC's siblings. They keep interacting with each other and ignoring my MC. It's time to unleash this guy:  :grrr By the end of the night, her brothers will become singular.
#243 - September 09, 2013, 06:07 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I'm just popping into say hi and I haven't been able to revise more than a page in the past two weeks because of being back in the classroom  :sigh

I hope all revisions are going awesomely (i know thats not a real word)
#244 - September 10, 2013, 10:12 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Hi all!

I spent so much time in the last couple days ironing out major subplots and writing things down so I wouldn't forget them. Have you ever done that? Figure something out then think, "What was this character going to do again?"

Overall though, I am feeling really good about this YA!

But stick around, I'm sure those feelings will take a 180 degree turn again;  :ranting:  it amazes my husband how we writers have moments of such optimism and such despair.

XO

Lisa

#245 - September 11, 2013, 06:52 PM
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:54 PM by Lisa Marnell »

Member.
Poster Plus
it amazes my husband how we writers have moments of such optimism and such despair.

:werd

I made it through more than 4000 words today. I'm rewriting my doc into Scrivner and making note of plot holes and jumps in voice. I'm getting a clearer picture of what I need to do, though. I'm excited to mess around with the scenes once I finish typing in the story and fixing the obvious problems.

Does anyone else use Scrivner? Any suggestions or favorite tricks?

#246 - September 12, 2013, 01:13 PM

I like using Scrivener. One thing that has been useful for me is to make a folder for characters and a 'card' for each character. Then I paste important stuff in the ms into the character card's document. That way I can easily find stuff like what town the character said she's from way back when.

Actually, I had a recent blog post on my agent's blog about Scrivener and how I use it.

http://theblabbermouthblog.com/2013/09/05/guest-post-writing-using-scrivener-how-its-done/

#247 - September 12, 2013, 01:29 PM
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:31 PM by W.E. Larson »
Blog: www.welarson.com
Twitter: @WELarson

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
AAAARRRRGGHH!  :gaah  :bewildered: :gaah
#248 - September 13, 2013, 07:14 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

kategoka

Oh no dewsanddamps... hope everything's okay....

RaeE: I use Scrivener (although I'm going the ol' notebook route for this particular draft as I mentioned in another thread). One thing that helped me with an earlier draft where I was working on plot was creating my own labels with various color codes for different parts of the plot. So when I look at my corkboard I have all the usual information: chapter title and summary but it also jumps out as a certain color and I can visualize the plot really quickly. I used the colors of the rainbow:

red: hook
orange: set up
yellow: first plot point
etc. etc.

I also love the project word targets. I always feel good when I hit those during my writing session.
#249 - September 13, 2013, 09:18 PM

:bus2:   Me too, Shannywriter--pesky old work.

I have Scrivener, but haven't really used it much. Lately, I've been experimenting with Trello--it's a free download & easy to use. I made 4 columns and relabeled them as Act 1, Act 2A, Act 2B, and Act 3. The first entry for each column was the goal of that act. Then I put in a quick summary of each scene under the appropriate heading. It's a nice visual, and I can quickly see where I'm at.

Errands to do this morning, but this afternoon I'm gonna write no matter what!
#250 - September 14, 2013, 08:05 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Thanks for all the Scrivner suggestions! I've been using the labels for interactions between the MC and others (I think she accidentally forgets about some of them for huge chunks of time), but I love the idea of using it for plot points. I'll have to relabel once I fix the characters.

W.E. Larson, excellent ideas. Thanks!

Hang in there, dews... I hope everything is okay!

I'm almost 2/3 of the way through this pass... Getting closer!
#251 - September 14, 2013, 08:24 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Finished Chapter 18 last night. That leaves 5 more chapters, before I might be ready for betas.
#252 - September 14, 2013, 08:41 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Oops--sorry to spill my crazy all over you.  :crazy This revision's just kicking my (self-censored).

Thanks to all who posted the Scrivener info--interesting stuff. Maybe if I were more organized, there'd be fewer clumps of hair on my floor right now.
#253 - September 14, 2013, 01:34 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
AAAARRRRGGHH!  :gaah  :bewildered: :gaah
Dewsanddamps: I wholeheartedly agree. But that's due to my lack of work.
John's back to college tomorrow!!!!

Just one thing, your latter comment makes wonder if there is an opportunity for character building somewhere.
I've not done much so I have no excuse now.

Right, I am off to :busstop so I can deliver  :chocolate2: to a barman friend in return for some  :wine (beer actually, he works in a brewery) so I can make more :chocolate2:

I'll be back working at some stage.
Pons: congrats on your progress.
I WILL WORK BY THE END OF THE MONTH!! :embarrassed2
#254 - September 15, 2013, 07:29 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Oh I'm glad you guys posted about Scrivener when I was just googling about it yesterday! Was thinking about getting it but when I looked at the pictures I thought dang I'm never gonna be able to figure it out!  :duh
#255 - September 18, 2013, 08:37 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

It's really not as complicated as it looks. They have a good trial though, they let you use it free for 30 days (30 days you actually use it not 30 days from installing it).
#256 - September 19, 2013, 03:47 AM
Blog: www.welarson.com
Twitter: @WELarson

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Good to know!! I have some birthday money so I'm thinking...
#257 - September 19, 2013, 08:34 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Oh, Scrivener is awesome! If you're thinking about buying it and don't want to pay full price, lately they've been providing coupon codes to NaNoWriMo winners! (And even if you're not a winner, there are a ton of very nice WriMos that already own Scrivener on the NaNo forums who are willing to share their codes after November is over, when they have them.)

On a revision note, I have one! chapter! left! in my first round read through and holy crap am I excited. I've been doing an index card outline of the scenes as I go, so the next couple days will be dedicated to organizing those and filling in the blanks with different colored cards for new scenes. Woo!
#258 - September 19, 2013, 09:38 PM
@kstinek

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Nothing to add really, except that I met purely by chance, the headmistress I spoke of in my previous post. She seems adamant I should leave the opening the way it is. It's good to hear.

I am sorry guys, but I am referring back to this post since I met the headmistress today in regular haunt coffee shop. I hadn't seen her for a fewlogue between the characters and with a little revision, I have an excellent story for nine to eleven year old boys.

I'd also been petrified that the elder character shouldn't be spending so much time with two young boys, but she assured me the relationship between was an appropriate one.
She also loved my dialogue. I know I'm but it's made my year, which so far has been quite rubbish.

Does anyone have space for around two hundred truffles in their cooler? I made around two hundred and fifty so far and I'm not going to eat them.
Tuck in. :bottled
Back to revision when I get rid of John. That won't be hard...I go to town alone on Sundays.
#259 - September 21, 2013, 01:46 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I am in love with Scrivner. I have folders and subfolders and note cards and color-coded labels and character labels and I love them.  :love4:

It sounds like you got fantastic feedback on your ms, Thundering!  :flowers2

Kristine, I LOVE the organizing index cards phase. :) Congrats on making it through the revision pass!

Happy revisions!
#260 - September 22, 2013, 02:08 PM

I don't have room in my fridge for 200 truffles, but my stomach could probably handle them  :whistle

Actually, I bought my husband a big box of handmade chocolates for his birthday and I'm having a hard time not raiding them.

I've finally gotten through the first fifty pages of this revision and am headed into an easier section. Thank goodness.    :star2  My characters have become very food obsessed. I'm not sure which one is the worst or who started this obsession!   :drink :breakfast :cupcake :taco :fridge :cake :pinacolada :sundae

#261 - September 22, 2013, 03:16 PM
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Yum, truffles!!! I'll take a handful  :ceilingdance

I think I've gone a little crazy. I finished the index card portion of the revision, but now I'm planning on re-typing my entire ms before school starts... and school starts Wednesday.

Time for a battle cry? :grrr

This is probably a bad idea. But I feel like I'll be able to better edit my sentences and add content if I feel like I'm rewriting, rather than reading something that's already on the page and trying to tweak it. Eeeep.

*ETA: I should probably clarify that my ms was 56K before edits. Waugh. Not the longest ms, but I'm not used to typing that much in 2.5 days.
#262 - September 22, 2013, 07:42 PM
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 07:44 PM by Kristine »
@kstinek

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Just checking in to tell you that I used my phone to type that last post. Never again.
My grammar was atrocious.
Those truffles will be available for a long time to come.
#263 - September 23, 2013, 06:56 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks for the Scrivener love everyone! I definitley want to get it but my laptop is half dead so I may wait until I can get a new computer  :crossedfingers
#264 - September 23, 2013, 08:21 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
If that's your only problem right now and you want it sooner rather than later, the Scrivener activation keys are good for an unlimited number of computers. So if you buy one copy of Scrivener for Mac, you can use the same activation key on multiple computers, as long as they're all Mac. At least, I think that's the case, or it was the last time I checked (I may be wrong). But it's a good idea to save your activation key.

I think I even saw them post on Twitter that if you switch operating systems (Mac to Windows, for example), you can contact the makers of Scrivener to see if you can swap keys. :) The Literature and Latte team is super great, even though I've never had to deal with them personally.
#265 - September 23, 2013, 08:49 PM
@kstinek

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I feel like an ad rep. Not endorsed, I promise! I just like Scrivener a lot. ::-)
#266 - September 23, 2013, 08:50 PM
@kstinek

Member.
Poster Plus
I couldn't get my manuscript off Scrivner. I wanted to compile it into a word doc so I could read through without breaks, but I couldn't get all the sections to transfer and the formatting was nuts...

Anyway, revisions are going a bit like this:  :bangcomputer

Coffee. Coffee will help.
#267 - September 27, 2013, 11:03 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv

Anyway, revisions are going a bit like this:  :bangcomputer

LOL Mine are too. I think I need chocolate.
#268 - September 28, 2013, 09:52 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Ooo. Chocolate. Yes, chocolate is my friend. If this book is ever published, I must dedicate it to Chocolate, without whom the book could not have been written.
#269 - September 28, 2013, 10:45 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
Hahahaha. That would be AWESOME.
#270 - September 28, 2013, 11:41 AM

Members: