SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Revisionland

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Ooo. Chocolate. Yes, chocolate is my friend. If this book is ever published, I must dedicate it to Chocolate, without whom the book could not have been written.
:dr  :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr
#271 - September 28, 2013, 02:08 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Ooo. Chocolate. Yes, chocolate is my friend. If this book is ever published, I must dedicate it to Chocolate, without whom the book could not have been written.
LOL Mine are too. I think I need chocolate.
RaE: what on Earth would I do? I'd have ask for one of my characters to come and provide me with a truck-load (literally) of her specially made brown (or white) stuff. I think she has a laboratory speciliasing in making it, so it should not be a problem.
 :gogirl
FINALLY, my revisions on that last story have begun. Only the first chapter or two done and I had to dust off a lot of cobwebs. I will forge ahead tomorrow.

Today, I will be busy in my attempt to poison John with a pie I am making later. :voodoo  I think I will have a  :coffee3: whilst I mull over it.

Keep going guys. And don't forget your chocolate.
#272 - October 05, 2013, 04:05 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Deep in the middle of revisions (I had to add an extra leaf to the table to make room for my stacks of paper) and there is NO CHOCOLATE IN THE HOUSE. Not even a single chocolate chip. The story is about to take a much darker turn. Thundering, truffles! Truffles, please!
#273 - October 05, 2013, 07:02 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
Not even a chocolate chip???

You may need to leave Revisionland to rectify this problem.
#274 - October 06, 2013, 03:27 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
No kidding, mirrors! Although I made it through a huge chunk of my MG revisions last night, so maybe I work better without chocolate? What a horrible thought.

I'm hoping to finish this round tonight, then jump into the next round in the morning. I have revisions to finish on a PB and an article, too...  :coffee3:

Good luck with revisions, everyone!

ETA: Revisions are finished for this round! The fun work starts tomorrow!  :chickendance
#275 - October 06, 2013, 05:15 PM
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 07:46 PM by RaeE »

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Deep in the middle of revisions (I had to add an extra leaf to the table to make room for my stacks of paper) and there is NO CHOCOLATE IN THE HOUSE. Not even a single chocolate chip. The story is about to take a much darker turn. Thundering, truffles! Truffles, please!
No problems. I've a load more in the fridge that won't be eaten. On their way to you. You might get a bit tipsy: they're pretty potent with the beer I used. But that's a bonus, isn't it?
No work, but I did yesterday so I am not completely lazy.
That's my excuse anyway.

Tenant (and his terrible singing voice) moved out yesterday and already landlord has been showing people around. I thought he would have tidied the place first...but that's not his style. I'm bowling so I'll have his head in my hands. Those pins had better watch themselves. :fury

I might work tomorrow.
PS: I was looking for this guy :voodoo when I spoke about my landlord and said it aloud when John actually informed me that my evil flat owner was outside. That won't change my mind. He's horrid.
My characters might cheer me up tomorrow.
#276 - October 07, 2013, 08:21 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Thanks, Thundering! I'll take them--and these revisions are making me a bit nuts, so tipsy will fit right in! ::-) Sorry to hear about the tenant/landlord troubles.

Sometimes crazily ambitious ideas seem like a lot of fun when I'm drafting. Now I'm drowning in revisions and can't remember why I ever thought this was a good idea.  :drowning: Anyone have a lifejacket to spare??
#277 - October 08, 2013, 12:06 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Thanks, Thundering! I'll take them--and these revisions are making me a bit nuts, so tipsy will fit right in! ::-) Sorry to hear about the tenant/landlord troubles.
The won't change, RaeE. He was here again today and despite two filled bins of rubbish (that wasn't ours), the garbage men only took one bin. They can only take one a week. In a house the has four separate tenants, that is a silly situation.
Then the landlord came down and instructed John to go out and clean the window, so I sent him out with a bowl of warm water laced with vinegar and a smile on my face. He was not happy. :pullhair:
Sorry frustrations make me a bad lady and a moaning witch.
I got a little done today, despite the fact Spock insisted on retrieving red chillies several times and placing them at my hand. I thought that had died with Moggy, but I'm not complaining.

Sometimes crazily ambitious ideas seem like a lot of fun when I'm drafting. Now I'm drowning in revisions and can't remember why I ever thought this was a good idea.  :drowning: Anyone have a lifejacket to spare??
No life jacket, I'm afraid. Isn't there a superhero out there to save you?
Not even a chocolate chip???

You may need to leave Revisionland to rectify this problem.
Three hundred sweets in my fridge. Will that keep you going? I'm making more tomorrow. John won't be around.
#278 - October 09, 2013, 10:48 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Ok I love when the Halloween smileys are up
 :pumpkinhead: :bananabat: :bat :pumpkin :jackolanturn: :blackcat :witch: :zombie :coffin :catmoon: :skeleton
Did I get them all?

How's everyone doing? I haven't been able to check in for awhile. Doing serious revision on first chapters so I can send to agent next week.

Thundering, I think this is my fave smiley  :voodoo
#279 - October 15, 2013, 08:40 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland

How's everyone doing? I haven't been able to check in for awhile. Doing serious revision on first chapters so I can send to agent next week.

Thundering, I think this is my fave smiley  :voodoo
[/b]
Shanny: you wouldn't believe the amount of times I want to use that on a daily basis. Thankfully, I've got a really nasty character in W.I.P. I just take it out on him.
A really good day for me actually. I met one of my fellow SCBWI'ers for a coffee and chatted about the coming meeting in November. Then I wrote almost five hundred words. My hand seems to have extended immensely between last Monday (our bowling night) and today. At least it's only one hand...I just wish it wasn't the same one.

OT (big time)Re truffles: A guy who works in the off-license I source my beer (that makes me sound like an alcoholic, but most of it goes into chocolate) has offered to buy a number of truffles from me. I'm still trying to decide how much to charge him. Most of the time it costs 10 cents to make them (each). John reckons I should charge 75 cents since I source the alcohol from his shop.
What do you reckon, guys? If I was to buy them from a shop (which sells concentrate, I use the real stuff) they'd cost at least 1euro.
I'd appreciate your suggestions.
#280 - October 17, 2013, 08:57 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I'd definitely go on the higher side and if he doesn't like it, then come down a little. Good luck!
#281 - October 17, 2013, 07:42 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Hi Shanny! Hi Thundering! It's been ages since I checked in. Line edits will make you crazy :eh2 and I needed a long rest after that.

I'm working on a novelette. It was supposed to be a short story, but as it creeps up to 9k, I have to admit there's no way to  :press: it into a short story. I'm chugging away at revisions, hubby's staying at his hotel (where he works) so I have no distractions except Facebook -- drat that thing!!

Wishing you all happy revising!  :flowers2
#282 - October 18, 2013, 12:32 AM
Soul Cutter ~ YA Horror/Romance (MuseItUp Publishing Dec 2013)
Blog: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I have been in the middle of a solid month of visiting family and having family visit me. It has been lovely in so many ways, but I absolutely cannot write or revise under these circumstances. On Monday, everybody leaves and I can write again. I am looking forward to it. (grin)

Laurel
#283 - October 18, 2013, 09:32 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Welcome back, Laurel and Laura  :grouphug2:
#284 - October 18, 2013, 06:43 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Nice to see you back, Laura.
A lot of work written yesterday which was then scuppered by my demanding purrball. But I am always up for a cuddle.
#285 - October 19, 2013, 05:25 AM

Hi Laurel! Glad to see you here. Good luck with your revisions.  :clover
Shanny - Thanks, and loved your blog post.  :goldstar
Thundering - Getting a little work done and the having a cuddle sounds pretty good to me.  :)

My CPs were way harsher with my novelette than I expected. I have a lot of revising to do ... BUT first I have crits to do, a newsletter to write, and I'm doing my cover reveal on Friday. :yeah  Maybe I'll get to revisions next week.  :witch:
#286 - October 23, 2013, 10:03 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
It's amazing what you have to resort to when there's a shredding kitten residing with you. Sitting here with Spock who is fluctuating between attacking my feet and nibbling my hands. I love it, but it's a little distracting.
On the positive side, I went to the writing haven and became dosed up on coffee. Mulling over two cappuccinos I got five seventy written. My character's father is a vile piece of work.
There's a festival (a beer one! :wine this weekend. I might just take it off and get back to work on Monday.
#287 - October 24, 2013, 09:59 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Laura, ooooohhh cover reveal!!! Remind us okay so we can check it out!  :fireworks 

Agent has my revised first chapters of WIP so I'll be here for awhile  :hiding
#288 - October 24, 2013, 08:36 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Thundering - A beer festival! :cheers: Cool. Have a great time!  :jump:
Shanny - I'm sure any feedback from the agent will not require cowering under a chair. You both want the same thing - for the WIP to be awesome - so you'll work together on it and it WILL BE AWESOME!  :star2 (I gave my agent my previous novel to look at 'coz she wanted it ... and that was 4 months ago. :shrug: )

:balloongroup It's time for the COVER REVEAL GAME with PRIZES on my blog! :partytime Click the bloglink below and give it a look! :party3: :phat 
#289 - October 24, 2013, 09:45 PM
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:46 PM by Laura_6 »

Laura, what a fun way to do a cover-give away! And I love the cover too, by the way. You must be thrilled.

Shanny,  :star2 :crossedfingers :star2 

My agent had her interns read my WIP and I'm expecting to receive her input soon. So I'm now back in the revision trench. I don't think this round of revision is going to be too evil, but it looks like I'm going to give ANOTHER stab at chapter one. This time from a different pov. I hope it works!  :star2 :crossedfingers :star2 :spider
#290 - October 25, 2013, 10:41 AM
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
My company stayed longer than expected. I still haven't gotten back to writing, but I have high hopes for next week.
#291 - October 25, 2013, 02:50 PM

Pat - Thanks!  :) Good luck with the not-too-evil feedback!

Two people made me countdown-to-release widgets, and they aren't appearing correctly for me -- and now the TV IS BROKEN!!  :poopfan  Not a happy camper.
#292 - October 26, 2013, 12:19 PM

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!
 :bat :pumpkinhead: :catmoon: :zombie :coffin :blackcat :bananabat: :jackolanturn: :spider :witch: :vampire:
#293 - October 31, 2013, 12:06 AM

:grouphug2:, Laura.  You don't need those kind of hassles right now.

Still waiting on my agent's feedback, but I've transferred all the other comments I received onto a hard copy.  Actually, it looks like I'm not going to write a new chapter one as much as add another snippet on from a different pov. Luckily, Halloween is the perfect time to be thinking about what is needed.  :muahaha:

:star2 :bat :star2 :star2 :bat :bat :bat :bat :star2 :star2 :bat :star2
 :star2 :star2 :bat :star2 :star2 :star2 :star2 :bat :bat :star2 :star2 :star2
                   :star2 :star2 :star2 :bat :star2
#294 - October 31, 2013, 06:25 AM
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Pat - Thanks! I was whining over nothing. Turns out hubs quickly brought back a TV he'd lent a friend, and my countdown widget won't work w/Firefox on my own blog,  BUT I can see it perfectly on others' blogs and they can all see mine perfectly. :haha  Is your book a horror novel, Pat?

I'm trying to get book review blogs to review my novel before its release Dec 6. It's hard to find people interested in YA Horror, and some good ones are overbooked, and some have confusing policies. Last month I asked 17 and 8 said yes. (Apparently, this is considered good.) Now I'm sending 30 and hope I'll get another 8 reviewers. :bow:

Plus, I've gotten no writing or revising done. Argh! :turtlego:
#295 - November 03, 2013, 12:21 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Good luck, Laura!

The ms sounds delightfully spooky, Pat. Have fun!

Pons, I hope you were able to get back to work last week.

I'm lost in revisions, and they are So Much Fun! I hope to have the ms ready to send to CPs in about a week and a half. Can't wait to hear what they think! :)
#296 - November 03, 2013, 06:15 AM

I really LOVE my new first sentence--so much so that I'm sure it will be the first thing that gets cut in the long run. :shrug:

Laura, I'm headed into the only week of the year when my husband is gone, so I have to revise until my brain bleeds and not think about anything else. But I'd love to do an interview with you for my blog just before your book comes out. If you'd like to do it, just remind me mid-month ( like DM me here) and I'll come up with some fun questions. I'm working on a mystery-thriller, so talking about writing horror and your book would fit in nicely. 

Good luck, Rae. Was that SO Much Fun sarcastic? It sounds like you're making super great progress.  :bananadance :broccoli :carrot
#297 - November 03, 2013, 07:34 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
No sarcasm! I love fast drafting, but deep revisions are my favorite why-I-write thing. ::-)
#298 - November 03, 2013, 07:47 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
No sarcasm here. I'm about to get extremely wet in the name of my writing. Even I am baffled by why I do it,but it seems I can concentrate better being wet in a coffeehouse than I can at home. I am off to get nasty
#299 - November 03, 2013, 08:11 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I've been away from my ms long enough that I am really looking at it with fresh, disappointed eyes. What sparkled a month ago sounds flat and awkward now. I suppose I should be happy my editing skills are progressing, but I feel deflated instead. Eventually, I'm going to have to let other people read this. Will I send out something I think is all shiny and then be embarrassed a month later.

Probably.

Part of being a writer, I guess.  :sheep
#300 - November 03, 2013, 09:02 AM

Members: