SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Revisionland

Discussion started on

Big thanks to Pat, MGH, Ruth, and Jody and all the others who gave me support and kept me sane because I finally have good news!

:getmail The book contract my agent revised was accepted by MuseItUp Publishing. The book, a YA Horror/Romance called SOUL CUTTER, is scheduled for release December 2013. And they've assigned me an editor who promises me notes in two weeks. Then I'll be in Revisionland for REAL! Yippie!  :yeah
#31 - June 11, 2013, 01:15 AM
Soul Cutter ~ YA Horror/Romance (MuseItUp Publishing Dec 2013)
Blog: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/

That's fantastic, Laura. Congratulations!!  :star2 :fireworks :yay :fireworks :star2

:partytime :partytime :partytime :partytime :partytime :partytime :partytime :partytime :partytime :partytime :partytime :partytime
#32 - June 11, 2013, 04:35 AM
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Congratulations, Laura!!! You must be so thrilled (and relieved)!! This calls for dancing carrots! :carrot :carrot :carrot :carrot :carrot
#33 - June 11, 2013, 07:04 AM
2017:
Sibling Split series (Stone Arch)
Gender Wage Gap (Abdo)
Smooth Road Trip (Capstone)
www.mghiggins.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Yay, Laura!!

Well, June is not really getting any LESS busy, but I did manage to look at my revision a bit yesterday. The wedged-in additions need smoothing. !! Hopefully I can work with some of that today. Then I've got to figure out what to do with it. My usual CPs have seen a lot of versions of this, and so I think I might need to think up some new victims er, beta readers. I'm still not sure I'm doing enough/going down the right track--it's just hard to take something already polished and try to revise it for editor or editors unknown. Yes, there's fixing problems, but there's also an element of revising for the personal taste of someone I haven't met yet that's hard for me to grasp...
#34 - June 11, 2013, 07:14 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Congratulations, Laura! That's fantastic news.   :gogirl
#35 - June 11, 2013, 07:53 AM

:partytime  Hooray, Laura!  :yay for your good news!
#36 - June 11, 2013, 08:28 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
  • SCBWI PAL
Oh my goodness, Laura!  :clapping

:yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay

I am SO excited for you. You have worked so hard and been SO patient. I am inspired!

And December 2013? Wow. That's soon. I will be looking for it.
#37 - June 11, 2013, 09:23 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
 :balloongroup :thewave :congratulations :thewave :balloongroup

Congratulations, Laura! What WONDERFUL news!!
#38 - June 11, 2013, 10:17 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Yay, Laura!  :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay

:dancer :dancer :dancer :dancer :dancer :dancer :dancer :dancer :dancer :dancer :dancer :dancer :dancer :dancer

Can't wait to welcome you back to Revisionland!
#39 - June 11, 2013, 11:59 AM

Z-cat

:yay Laura!!!    :partytime :partytime :partytime

Can't wait to see the finished product!!

Yesterday and today were kind of a wash on writing. It's the first week of summer vaca, and we're all readjusting to our new routines.

Tomorrow, though, it's on.
#40 - June 11, 2013, 02:37 PM

Vampyr14

:hairdude :hairdude :hairdude :hairdude

:gogirl

That's how I feel about your news, Laura!

X K8
#41 - June 11, 2013, 07:55 PM

Z-cat

Up to 33k today - over the halfway mark!
#42 - June 13, 2013, 02:36 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Finally have a minute to get on here and I get to see Laura's news!!!  :fireworks:proud I'm so happy for you, wow!! So are you going to stay in here?

Guys, I have nothing to revise at the moment  :cry2
Probably time for me to head back to the trench, and the fast draft thread which is what I need to be working on but I so dislike first drafts!
#43 - June 13, 2013, 10:52 PM
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:30 AM by Shannywriter »
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Vampyr14

That's weird...  I'd much rather draft than revise.  Revising gets SO boring.  There's nothing like letting your brain just spill out across the page in a messy, ugly first draft.
#44 - June 14, 2013, 02:41 AM

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Shanny, that's exciting you're on sub! I hear you about first drafting. I've been revising for so long, it will be hard to start from scratch again. Good luck! (You can always come back and visit us.)

I'm doing a few more touch ups today then sending this revision to my agent. I hope she won't find much wrong with it. I'd like to be on sub before the August doldrums.
#45 - June 14, 2013, 06:54 AM
2017:
Gender Wage Gap (Abdo)
www.mghiggins.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Fantastic news. All of your hard work has paid off at last, Laura.

A busy few days for me. Wicked stepfather still on my back, but he can wait.
My birthday break away with mum was brilliant. If you ever want to visit Leprechaun land, go to Kilkenny. It's a real tourist trap with tact. There is a wonderful castle, plenty of small tea-rooms, hotels and much more. I had a great time without the beast of a male in sight. (actually there's only one - John and Spock are exempt).

I still haven't touched my ms as I had intended. We have our quarterly SCBWI meeting tomorrow with a guest speaker so it might spur me into working.
Hope you're more productive. I'm off to buy some cupcakes to bring the meeting as post-celebration for my birthday.

I WILL WORK NEXT WEEK!!!! :muscles
 :wine :wine :wine :wine I've never been a wine drinker, but you will join me in a drink for the weekend, won't you? :grouphug2:
#46 - June 14, 2013, 09:46 AM

Well, I'm diving into Revisionland with a HUGE novel rewrite. Started yesterday and so far it's going pretty well! There is a long, long, long, long, long, long, loooooooooooooooooong way to go, though. Here's hoping I can make it safely to the other side! :oncomputer
#47 - June 14, 2013, 01:25 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Okay -- I'm cruising toward the end of this revision. I was about to write a scene I knew was needed, but didn't know what would really happen between the two characters. Instead, that boy stopped off at home and got involved in a scene with two other characters. It seems I have no more control over my fictional boys than I do over the real ones!
#48 - June 14, 2013, 01:58 PM

Thank you so much Pat, MGH, Olmue, Laurel, Ruth, Jody, Rae, Jude, Lindsey, Vampyr, Shanny, and Thundering! I love all those happy, happy emoticon celebrations!  :grin3

Jody - Yeah, December is soon, but little publishers move faster than big ones. :flame:

Shanny - Good luck with the fast draft and we'll see you back in here when you're done! Uber good luck on the subbing - it's so exciting!  :goodluck

MGH - Good luck with the touch ups. I'm sure your agent will love it!  :gogirl

Thundering - I hope you have a lovely vacay and visit with your mum.  :)

Joanna - I love your enthusiasm. You're an inspiration.  :dancer

#49 - June 14, 2013, 02:15 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks guys! I'm off to hang in the ol' trench!
#50 - June 14, 2013, 11:03 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Pat: I hope your cat gets better. My SCBWI meeting was good yesterday with a small group of and a guest speaker (an author, but his name escapes me). It's kind of given me the spur I need to get back to work.  I got some excellent birthday cupcakes too. Rotten day so I'm stuck with the boys. Work tomorrow.
#51 - June 16, 2013, 07:39 AM

Pat - That was an exciting bunch of events. I'm glad the stomach bug is gone, the nail didn't require surgery, and good luck on the :snail -y progress! :)

Thundering - Yay for inspiring meetings!  :dancer
#52 - June 18, 2013, 12:02 AM

Z-cat

well, we survived the first week of summer break!
Whew!
Revising time has been few and far between, but I made it past 40K.
The end doesn't need quite as much attention as the beginning, so hopefully I can get through the last 20K this week.
Then there is a very, very short list of little things I have to go and tweak in the first few chapters (those little changes that have a ripple effect on the rest of the story.)

Good luck in the trench Shanny!

Hope the old puppy is feeling better soon, Pat!

Jude - boys are just trouble, even when they only exist on paper! You should see the shenanigans my characters have gotten into.

Joanna - You can do it! I myself love revising and rewrites - sometimes it can be hard for me to stop and leave it alone, though!

thundering - get back to work!  :moose And I'll gladly join you  :wine after we get through a few pages!

mghiggins -  :crossedfingers that they like it!! Very exciting!

#53 - June 18, 2013, 09:58 AM

Well, completely rewriting my first chapter from scratch has resulted in needing to write the next chapter or two from scratch. And then maybe after that there will be less from-scratchiness, but somehow I'm doubting. Too many good ideas and too much to add. This will be my third go-round with this story. But maybe after this time I will feel like it is ready for just finishing touches? I can dream, right?
#54 - June 18, 2013, 04:25 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Lindsey - Characters up to "shenanigans," huh?
AmandaSue - "from-scratchiness" ROFL!

You guys are hysterical!  :haha
#55 - June 18, 2013, 09:34 PM

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Awesome website, Pat! I love it!   :fireworks
#56 - June 19, 2013, 07:30 AM
2017:
Gender Wage Gap (Abdo)
www.mghiggins.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Mike: I obeyed your orders, of sorts and wrote about a page. The sunny, sunny sky might have inspired me. Spocktacular is still demanding his fetch quota which proves difficult when attempting to do any other type of work.

Pat: John is drooling over your website! (that sounds gross, but he has just finished his first year in website design)
Speaking of him: he's rather proud of himself. He just received his results: 3 distinctions and 1 pass for his course and an automatic graduation into the second year. I'm dead proud of him.

My SCBWI membership card arrived today!
It might encourage me to work: if I can peel Spock away.
Enjoy the sun, guys. It's a glorious day over here. For once.
#57 - June 19, 2013, 07:59 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Pat - love the website!

It's freakin' be-oo-ti-ful here today, and should be all week! Finally!  :sun

Here's to revising on the deck!
#58 - June 19, 2013, 02:56 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Oh, Pat--pretty, pretty! :hearts :hearts :thewave :hearts :hearts
#59 - June 19, 2013, 03:34 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Z-cat

Pat, that site is gorgeous!

It's been sunny and cold here. Weirdly cold, but husband and son have been gone for the last day and a half (one on business, one on an overnight at grandma's) and so I've had Quiet Writing Time!!
Which meant I got up to 60k on this pass. Whew! Only a couple of chapters to go, and this revision will be d.o.n.e.
#60 - June 19, 2013, 04:39 PM

Members: