SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Revisionland

Discussion started on

Rae - Revisions are so much fun? Are you sure you're doing them right? For me, revisions are a neverending bout of  :beating

Pat - Mystery/Thriller. Cool! :trenchcoat Thanks very much for the blog invite! You're such a sweetie.  :)

Laurel - Yes, the more you revise, the more you get used to the sparkly things and they stop sparkling.  :exactly: On the other hand, the rough patches definitely get better. Being ultra picky IS part of being a writer. But you'll end up being very proud of it.

Aaaaaand I still haven't managed to revise yet. Worked on a newsletter and finished sending a bunch of Review Requests. Tomorrow for sure.  :snork:
#301 - November 03, 2013, 10:54 PM
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 10:56 PM by Laura_6 »
Soul Cutter ~ YA Horror/Romance (MuseItUp Publishing Dec 2013)
Blog: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Oh, golly - just realised I could have been in this thread for the last 5 weeks while I was revising my MS for my agent. I would have been in here sharing the  :chocolate2: and  :wine around. Oh well, it's back with her now, but I may be back in here depending on whether it's submission-ready or not.

Like Rae, I'm a fan of revisions. I'm writing something new for NaNo right now, and I keep comforting myself with the fact that I will enjoy fixing and polishing in revisions. And on that note, I'm must go and write some more!
#302 - November 04, 2013, 02:14 AM
http://sarahepsteinbooks.com/
https://twitter.com/SarahLEpstein

"Act as if it were impossible to fail." - Ashanti Proverb

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
The only pitfall I have found of writing in public is the distraction of bumping into someone you know. Thankfully, she has now gone and I am back in the mode with a top-up cappu and a borrowed pen. Let the nastiness continue, until later anyway. I have bowling later and intend to take it out on the pins.
Chat to you tomorrow, probably.
#303 - November 04, 2013, 06:03 AM

Hi, I back in revisionland and I'm going to be living here for a while. I just finished a shiny, new WIP, and while I let it rest I have pulled out my old WIP to play with for a month. I put this one aside because my agent thought the market was over-saturated, but I still love the story and want to finish it eventually. So--a month of this revision, and then who knows how long on the new WIP. I think I will need to move some furniture in here and hang wallpaper.
#304 - November 04, 2013, 11:34 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
First round revisions turn me into :bluesad:feelbad :pullhair:spaz I love revising once I get away from thinking that my first draft is set. But all of my deadlines are still self-imposed, I'm not under pressure to live up to previous works, and I maybe enjoy obsessing about the same things over and over... :) 

I just finished this round of revisions today. I have a few things left on my To Do list, but then I can send to CPs. Then I have to ignore work writing for a little while and clean my house. (Or not. I have a mountain of books to be read, and I'd hate for them to make my nightstand collapse. It's probably smarter to ignore the dust bunnies and read.)

Enjoy the old WIP, Michelle!

I hope you get good news, Sarah. And if you get to stay with us for a little longer, there is :wine to share!

Good luck with the revisions, Laura and thundering!

Laurel, is it time for a crit? I bet others will have a better opinion.

#305 - November 04, 2013, 08:14 PM

Sarah - Yay for you , Brave NaNo-er!  :goodluck

Thundering - I hope you had a great time bowling. :)

Michelle - You're very disciplined to put the new WIP away for a whole month. I can't do that - I'm like a kid who knows the X-mas presents are under Mom's bed, and I have to peek!! What genre is oversaturated? The only thing I know that isn't selling is Paranormal. People *say* dystopian isn't, then there's a new sale every other week.  :shrug:

Rae - Yay for sending revisions to CPs! Boo for collapsing nightstands. I vote for READ (over taking care of dust bunnies) ==>  :book4:
#306 - November 05, 2013, 12:01 AM
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:03 AM by Laura_6 »

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
I'll be checking in here properly later. Just one thing: it's crazy what you can find when you find by omitting one character into the address bar. SBWI is a small business endorsement organisation, apparently. I might check it out. Must remove purr ball and go shopping, then writing.
Catch up with you guys after.
#307 - November 05, 2013, 03:42 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
That last post was from my mobile and I didn't bother scrolling to see previous comments.
It's great to see so many people back. I love this group of ours.
Bowling was great, it must have inspired me. We only won one game out of three, but that's better than how we have been playing lately.
Laura: sometimes putting away the manuscript for at least a month is the best thing to do. It gives a fresh outlook when you return. I've heard that before.
Laurel: I haven't been a member of a critique group for years. Good luck! I might suggest it our SCBWI chapter meeting at the end of the month.
Spock has sprawled himself across the keyboard with the motor running (his, not the laptop's), but that's working too.
Wrote six hundred today.
Johnny's shocked. So am I. It is amazing what you can write when you have a nasty character. Eavesdropping is a powerful tool! :writing3 :coffee3:secrets :whistle :writing3
#308 - November 05, 2013, 09:33 AM

Hi everyone,
Hope you don't mind if I join your revision party. My writing partner and I have just finished the first complete draft of our MG novel and are now officially in revisionland.
I looooooove revising! It's staring at the blank page that makes me crazy. It's so invigorating to prune away the nasty bits, and so gratifying when the addition of details turns the whole thing three-dimensional.
Pons, a hug to you. That's a tough one, isn't it? But the alternative is not showing our writing to others, ever. You just do the best you can and keep moving forward. And someday, when you've "made it," whatever that means to you, you'll be able to look back and be very glad you had the courage to be vulnerable.

#309 - November 05, 2013, 09:55 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Welcome, Wonderview! Congrats on making it to Revisionland! :)

I'm hopping out of Revisionland for a little while so my CPs can have at my manuscript. Happy  :typing everyone!
#310 - November 06, 2013, 10:15 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
 :feedkids Anyone else think these kids were trying to shoot the frying pan? Everytime I see it...

Wonderview, welcome! I love revising so much. I think this is why I'm so slow at writing period!

Rae, good luck with your CPs!

Thundering! 600 is great!

Laura, you have to ask people to review your book? That sounds kinda scary and comparable to selling magazines door to door. Is this the norm? I know nothing. And I would love to have you on my blog too like Patty! Actually I was going to put some kind of call for authors here on the boards on mine. Because I've decided when it comes to blogging, my favorite thing to do is interviews and give stuff away. So fun! Lemme know when you want to do it and if you want to.

Michelle, have fun working on the old WIP!

Sarah, one of these years I will have time and do Nano. My timing is always off. Nano needs to be in the summer (I think it is for you, huh? Or almost?)

Agent has sent back my first chaps of WIP with lots of concerns *sigh* but also very helpful direction. I just love her.

:autumn
#311 - November 06, 2013, 09:30 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Anyone else think these kids were trying to shoot the frying pan? Everytime I see it...

:dr
Me too.
#312 - November 07, 2013, 03:57 PM

Me, three about the kids shooting the frying pan.

Welcome to the party, Wonderview!

Shanny, can we cry on each other shoulders about first chapters? I've got a week without my husband. My best revision week of the year. And I'm working on chapter 1 and 2, then 1 and 2 again... :sigh Maybe, I'll advance to 3 before the weekend hits.

#313 - November 07, 2013, 05:56 PM
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Oh good Pons and Patty, I'm glad I wasn't the only one. pow pow  :feedkids

Patty, I am there with you! All day tomorrow and I can't wait. Except for I am getting dizzy with all the directions I could go or should go  :bewildered:
#314 - November 07, 2013, 09:57 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

:welcome Welcome Wonderview!

Posted by Shannywriter
Laura, you have to ask people to review your book? That sounds kinda scary and comparable to selling magazines door to door. Is this the norm? I know nothing. And I would love to have you on my blog too like Patty! Actually I was going to put some kind of call for authors here on the boards on mine. Because I've decided when it comes to blogging, my favorite thing to do is interviews and give stuff away. So fun! Lemme know when you want to do it and if you want to.
My small pubber has a some bloggers they send to, but that guarantees nothing. I'm a DIY person, and I've been researching and sending requests myself, just like I did when I was querying agents. And I'm ignored a lot, much the same as when I was querying agents.  :lol4  Thanks very much for the invite. I'll keep you and Pat in mind. You're both wonderful!  :thankyou

I'm running a blog hop and thank goodness my agent has agreed to donate crit giveaways. Now maybe some people will join in. I need to get so much done. It won't be until mid Dec until I can get back to revisions.  :shame

Wishing all Revisionlanders happy revising!! :cheerleader
#315 - November 08, 2013, 01:50 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Wonderview: I misread your first sentence and pondered why you would love to look at a plank! :bewildered: :welcome
Very lazy yesterday. I did nothing, not even made chocolates which is rare for me.
I will be making truffles and taking the refill pad and pen in with and write over a :coffee3:.
Pat: what on Earth are you doing with that frying pan?  :feedkids
#316 - November 08, 2013, 03:34 AM

Thundering, it looks like I’m doing self-hypnosis with an egg. I can't think of any other reason to not notice the shooting children.

Okay, guys, I'm tackling chapter 3 today.  :ballchain:
#317 - November 08, 2013, 05:35 AM
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:39 AM by PatEsden »
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Haha, Thundering! Also, you make chocolates?! Oh, my. (searching in vain for a salivating smiley) I don't suppose you live anywhere near Northern Ontario...

Revisions are creeping along for me - just 30 minutes to an hour per day. I really prefer to dive in for hours at a time, but creeping is better than stopped, right?

We got a rejection on a grant application yesterday, too, which kind of puts a damper on things. Oh, well. Onward!
#318 - November 08, 2013, 07:14 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Online Christmas shopping is distracting me from revisions today. I never want to go shopping, like hardly ever. And right now its all I wanna do.
#319 - November 08, 2013, 10:22 AM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Wonderview: yes, I do make chocolates. It diverts my attention when characters, both fictional and breathing are distracting me from my writing. Also great stress therapy, but I hardly ever eat them. Thirty minutes are a nice steady pace.

Onto another subject: I took a really crazy/big step today and looked up an old teacher of mine. He taught me when I was aged between ten and twelve (fourth to sixth class), whatever grade that is for you. He was a huge influence on my writing, simply because he believed strongly in the beauty of English language. Literature was important, of course, but he always told us that to appreciate literature, you have to enjoy language and conversation first. That stuck with me and still does.
Anyway, when I put his name in the search engine and an image came up and I just thought that's got to be him, thirty years older. So, I sent him a polite email.
I think I am mad, but all he can do is ignore it or reply.
John's not here tomorrow. He's visiting his villainous mother.  I may be able to write.
Talk to you guys in a few hours, no doubt.
#320 - November 08, 2013, 11:46 AM

Oh, Thundering, I bet your former teacher will be thrilled to hear from you. I taught high school for just a couple of years, and just last week I got a Facebook message from someone I taught 10 years ago saying what a positive influence I'd been on her and how much she appreciated it. I was blown away. Everyone likes to know they have made a difference.
Nowadays I work very part-time teaching creative writing to students in grades 1-6, and I can only hope that years from now some of them will be writers whose love of words and narrative was nurtured in our little writers' workshops.

#321 - November 08, 2013, 01:36 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Congrats to everybody with time to revise. It's such a delicious, Christmas-morningy feeling to have big chunks of time in which to create, or polish.

I sent a revision to my agent last night. She'd asked for three modest changes. I made 'em--and added three major scenes, some minor things--upped the word count by 12K words. A little nervous--I may have over-revised. (Who, me?) :nanana:
#322 - November 09, 2013, 10:14 AM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I can't figure out quotes anymore on here. Anyone esle have that prob

Anyway, Dews, no such thing as over-revising! Well not in my opinion. There probably is. I'm probably doing it. :typing
#323 - November 10, 2013, 09:09 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Thundering, I'm sure your teacher will love getting that email.  :love4:

:ohm Good luck and I hope you don't have to wait very long to hear back, Dews.  Hopefully, your additions will add to her suggestions and blow her and some editors socks off (I'm surprised there isn't a smilie for that  :dr )

I'm diving into chapter 6 today. I love what the changes are doing to the ms, but I'm feeling like this tweaking and going back to adjust will never end. I just need to remember how far it's come. The end is in sight.  :crazy
#324 - November 11, 2013, 08:47 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Pat: I haven't received a response yet.

On a positive note, I got another six hundred written.
On a negative note, a new tenant moved in yesterday. It's a real pain now because for the past seven years we have asked for an electric shower to no avail. Ours is run off the central gas heating with no separate timer switch. That means the heat for all three flats in the building will be used at all times of the year and it takes an hour to heat the water.
It will be sweltering in Summer and I can't afford to get out of here.
I took it out on my characters earlier.
#325 - November 11, 2013, 09:14 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Another 600 is great Thundering!! I hope your heat/shower problems get worked out.

Patty, yay for being so happy about revisions! I'm starting to convert scenes into chapters now and I had to update my outline. Feeling a clearer direction now for this story so I'm happy about that and hoping I can be a little faster about revising. Holidays are already distracting me! I bet for you too since its your day job. I just want to Christmas shop and bake cookies and I even watched a Christmas movie on Lifetime this weekend.  ;D
#326 - November 11, 2013, 07:23 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Posted by: Shannywriter
? on: Yesterday at 09:13 PM ?

Insert Quote

Another 600 is great Thundering!! I hope your heat/shower problems get worked out.

Shanny: It doesn't look like it. I emailed a housing advice centre yesterday with a query. I was informed that as long as there is a provision for access to a shower, there is nothing the landlord is obligated to fulfil.
The heating was switched on for five hours last night and I used our own shower. I was cold by the time I'd finished ten minutes later. Words with my landlord's rep on Friday. ::) :rejection

A revised email from the housing advice asked me a few questions and I am awaiting a response.
In the meantime, I got another six hundred written. Anger can be a positive emotion sometimes. I'm just glad my characters are fictional. :shrug:
#327 - November 12, 2013, 03:12 AM
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:44 AM by thunderingelephants »

Not many holiday distactions this year, Shanny. I've semi-retired. In other words, after many many many years, I've decided to close the florist end of my business and just continue with the antiques and collectables. It's just too hard to write, enjoy life and work six days a week at another job--and the florist part is where most of my stress piled up. However, I am going to do some evergreen decoraation to sell on weekends through the holidays. But mostly, I'm focusing on my revision. Wish me luck paying the bills.  :dr

So, I've promised my agent that I'll have the first  9 chapter revised and back to her by the end of the week--that's about 100 pages--and where a majority of the work had to happen. My brains a bit fried, but I'm getting there.  :bewildered:
#328 - November 12, 2013, 07:25 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Hurray for more time, Pat! Since you're  :notworking  as much, I'll chip in a  :dollar for those pesky bills.

Thundering, hurray for more words! :chocolate2:

Shanny, do you do much baking at Christmas? I go nuts.  :crazy (Course, you might not notice the difference.)
#329 - November 12, 2013, 07:43 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

So, I've promised my agent that I'll have the first  9 chapter revised and back to her by the end of the week--that's about 100 pages--and where a majority of the work had to happen.

That's ambitious! I'm stressed out just at the thought. But it's good to have lofty goals because there's no room for procrastinate. You have no choice but to plow through.
#330 - November 12, 2013, 10:30 PM

Members: