SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Revisionland

Discussion started on

Not that ambitious, BG Gruff. I actually started a little over a week ago and have been working nonstop.  :bananadance :broccoli :carrot I'd be moving faster, if I didn't have to keep going back to tweak things--but reversing and changing is pretty much the name of the game.

And I have a secret weapon. I bought some cardamon and ginger infused maple syrup and have been spicing my tea with it. Yum and  :flame:
#331 - November 13, 2013, 05:40 AM
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Wish me luck paying the bills.  :dr

Oh we may be in same boat together! I may go back to substitute teaching soon. My kindergarten class turned into a full time class at the end of Sept thanks to last minute legislature funding, which is great for kids but not for my sweet little half-time teaching job that I loved  :bluesad: I had to give it up since I couldn't do full time because of the long commute and my own kids after school. Now not loving my new kindergarten intervention job and its definitely not worth commuting for. Will have to decide soon.

Dews, yeah I do tons of baking! I love baking. I think I'll start this weekend and freeze it. This year its massive cake pops! My daughter got into the Nutcracker in town again and I have to make a ton for the sugar plum fairy tea. They are so fun to make but can get spendy!
#332 - November 13, 2013, 09:48 AM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Member.
Poster Plus
All the talk of baking is making my stomach growl. Watch out, or I might be forced to hold up your kitchens!  :feedkids

I'm back, and tucked away,  :typing. My WIP is starting to come together and it is so so so so much fun. I hope revisions are going well for everyone else!
#333 - November 13, 2013, 11:02 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Hey guys, don't know what time it is where you are. 1a.m here and just arrived in from a getting a train out of Dublin. That journey set off at Six and meant to arrive@  9. The reason for delay: cattle on the track. It could only happen in Ireland.
Work tomorrow - if I can rise.
#334 - November 13, 2013, 05:14 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thundering!  :lol3 cows on the track!

Rae,  :dr

I have done no revising today. Little mundane chores have gobbled up the entire day. And then I decided to play with my art supplies.  That was so fun.
#335 - November 13, 2013, 08:36 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Shanny: it is laughable now but it was not at the time. I am still exhausted. What annoyed many passengers most was that it was not announced until we got onto the train. They could have provided alternative transport via road. A lot lost their connecting transit.
I'm taking this out on paper.
What's happened to me? I'm writing like a madwoman at the moment. Over seven hundred again today. Maybe it is the thought that I will probably come to a sort of confrontation with landlord representative tonight.
My character is wretched which makes me happy for some reason.
Our tiny SCBWI quarterly meeting tomorrow. That usually makes me happy. :pullhair: :coffee :slaphead:
#336 - November 14, 2013, 05:17 AM
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 10:44 AM by thunderingelephants »

Member.
Poster Plus
Yes, Thundering! Use it in a story!

I made revisions based on CP suggestions this morning (thanks, dearest CPs!), and I'm taking the rest of the day off. My littlest is staying with her grandparents, so I'm going bowling with my boys this morning, to an eye appt for the middlest this afternoon, then a Harry Potter movie marathon. Happy Friday!
#337 - November 15, 2013, 07:16 AM

Thundering, I live in the land of cows and Irishmen--though in the U.S. Everytime I drive somewhere, I have to allow for cows in the road delays or avoid milking time when they are more likely to be roaming across the road. But better cows than dark colored moose in the middle of the night. That's deadly.

Shanny, that job change is a tough one. Especially right now.

I'm with you guys about taking a break. I've sent my first 100 pages to my agent and my husband is returning from his vacation sometime soon, so I think I'm going to do something fun and maybe grab something naughty to eat.
#338 - November 15, 2013, 10:04 AM
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
My WIP is going through it's first solo editing workout. A friend of mine does editing of contracts and preposals at his job. I am certain there will be many changes needed and probably not just sentence structure. The story line jumps between long ago past and present and I am sure I will need to get a time-line or something drawn just for my reference.

I am looking forward to reworking it. I have not seen it for about a week and hopefully get that "new set of eyes" thing going and get the buggering thing ready to submit somewhere.

BTW, this is the coolest thread I've seen here at SCBWI.
#339 - November 15, 2013, 03:47 PM
"Typically, it turned out to be a much bigger job than I anticipated, but—everything does, if you aim high enough."

Neil Peart on writing a book.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I've just reworked what I call the cave scene in my novel, & it's so much stronger! It's just...the ripple effect. Must go track them all down now... :P
#340 - November 15, 2013, 07:22 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Yay Leandra! I love when that happens.

Mark, yes this is a fun thread. Wait until Nano is over and I think it will get pretty wild in here!  :partytime

Yay, Patty for sending off those pages! I hope you ate donuts or something really good and naughty!
#341 - November 15, 2013, 07:37 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Mark: welcome.  :grouphug2:
Leandra: That's a unique description of Revision. I like it.

It's started. I have dragged my feet over revising my story today, so I trotted off to El Coffee Haven and brought my manuscript from the depth of my bag. I got a chapter revised,  if I can keep that pace, I'll be happy.

One other piece of news: do you remember I told you I contacted my old teacher? He responded this morning. I was literally shocked.
It was actually quite a quirky reply.

ETA: I removed the lovely letter since it is private correspondence (Vijaya)
#342 - November 18, 2013, 07:47 AM
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 04:45 AM by Vijaya »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
What a lovely letter, thundering! Having great teachers definitely make for wonderful childhood memories, don't they? I always get warm fuzzies when I think back on some of my favs. 
#343 - November 18, 2013, 06:50 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
What a nice letter, Thundering! He has a cool name. Finian. You should name one of your characters this!
#344 - November 18, 2013, 07:09 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
It's just after 5pm here and I have just returned from the writing haven after a two hours revision. Now I truly know the meaning of this place. I have so many little errors going on that my pen is in overdrive.
I've also realised the true reason why I remove myself from home. Spock doesn't remove himself from me. I think he is jealous of anything that commandeers me other than him.
Since I returned he has burrowed inside my top, purring his little motor at full blast. His hot body is still there.
A good afternoon.
Hope you have one too.
Finally our shower is being fixed! It's taken seven years. John was talking to the plumber who regards our landlord as a bit of a twit!! :pullhair:
#345 - November 19, 2013, 09:22 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
Encountered what I now term an "Idea Dump" while in traffic this morning. There is so much bad news on the radio I think my mind runs and hides and starts manufacturing these ideas. I'll never stop it but instead of it being something magic or calling it talent, I think it's just my good ol' friend ADD.

I have conjured up several news chapters and I think I may toy with the idea of making them longer than usual. I am going to let the editor of my first WIP take his time now that have some new ideas to get on with.

I was getting worried since I have not had any new (good) ideas for a few weeks.
#346 - November 19, 2013, 03:53 PM
"Typically, it turned out to be a much bigger job than I anticipated, but—everything does, if you aim high enough."

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
I've sent my first 100 pages to my agent...
Pat, do you send your agent pages in progress? I mean, before you've finished, and polished, and edited, and sat up all night staring at it and eating an entire bag of M&Ms so that your eyes are twirling in different directions?  :twitch

Do you like that? Does she demand that? Does she know the story idea ahead of time?

Answers, madam! I'm full of caffeinated curiosity.
#347 - November 23, 2013, 10:30 AM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Patty and Dews, sending her stuff "you have bled over" that's me too. Sometimes I don't mind and then some days I'm like  :faint

#348 - November 24, 2013, 03:02 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Huh. That's interesting, Pat--thanks. It occurs to me that I don't yet know how my agent works with new stories. A synopsis and first pages sounds...like you'd have to know how the story ends. :shrug: And my first pages are always the worst. Well, no need to :knotted myself now, I suppose.

I think we need to stick a pillow in front of Shanny to ease her face plant, but we don't have a pillow emoticon. I'll just slide one of these  :applepie in front of you, Shanny--it looks cushiony and delicious.
#349 - November 24, 2013, 06:07 PM

Hi all!  :new: I'm diving into revisions on a story I finished 2 years ago. It's time to get this story whipped into shape. It's been a long time since I've been in here, but I'm sure I'll be here a while.  :oncomputer  I spent 2 hours revising today and got through 4 pages. Ugh! :beating  At this rate my story will be finished in another 2 years! Sheesh!
#350 - November 24, 2013, 06:58 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
Well, the good news is that my editor's son took my WIP and read some of it. He is 10 years old and he said it was funny and he liked it.

I gotta take anything thrown my way.
#351 - November 24, 2013, 10:48 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland

Posted by: Tara S. (Rylotajo)
? on: Yesterday at 06:58 PM ?

Insert Quote

Hi all!  :new: I'm diving into revisions on a story I finished 2 years ago. It's time to get this story whipped into shape. It's been a long time since I've been in here, but I'm sure I'll be here a while.  :oncomputer  I spent 2 hours revising today and got through 4 pages. Ugh! :beating  At this rate my story will be finished in another 2 years! Sheesh

Tara: I am exactly where you are now. I've been visiting here for years but never really appreciated this place until I began revising my last story. It's always been a work in progress. Maybe that is because I am a long-hand writer and barely ever bother typing them up! (laziness on my part)

Anyhow, almost halfway my first round of revision and there are so many tiny tweaks I've noticed that I don't see when I write longhand. I know there will be a few more second time around.
Still much prefer the old pen and paper in my hand. :bangcomputer :creativeart: :pages: :coffee3: :coffee3: :coffee3:

Oh, before I leave: I went a bit bonkers with my chocolate yesterday: white chocolate with lemon, orange and carrot. I tried it earlier. It's not quite as disgusting as I thought it might be. :aah :-\
#352 - November 25, 2013, 09:01 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I think we need to stick a pillow in front of Shanny to ease her face plant, but we don't have a pillow emoticon. I'll just slide one of these  :applepie in front of you, Shanny--it looks cushiony and delicious.
:dr
#353 - November 25, 2013, 08:08 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Yay, Tara!!!! I'm happy you're hanging with us now. Katie is bringing us pies and Thundering gives us chocolate so we are all good to go!  :partytime

Mark, that's a great compliment!
#354 - November 25, 2013, 08:11 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Thunderingelephants, it's nice to know I'm not the only one working on the same story for ages! :taz: I don't know how you do pen and paper, I type way faster than I could possibly write.  If you don't like typing, have you ever thought of using one of those programs where you speak into a microphone and the computer types it for you? There's one called Dragon speak. My husband got it for me one year but I haven't even used it yet, I prefer to type.  Just a thought!

Thanks Shanny! Like I said, I'll probably be here a while.  :oncomputer

Mark, that's awesome! :goldstar
#355 - November 25, 2013, 10:02 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland

Posted by: Mark6b
? on: November 24, 2013, 10:48 PM ?

Well, the good news is that my editor's son took my WIP and read some of it. He is 10 years old and he said it was funny and he liked it.

I gotta take anything thrown my way.

Mark: surely a potential reader complimenting your work is just about the best you can get?

Twit alert here, guys: I couldn't find my manuscript and got into a real fluster. Then I realised I had a nice crisp copy in my bag and took out ye olde pen and got to work. It actually turned to be in my favour because I noticed errors I'd missed first time around. My character is still a haphazard "wise" eleven year old boy (that's intentional), his friend is an"ancient relic" (in his own words) and I still like both of them.
My second revision is better than the first. I don't often get to say that. It's been a long time since I have actually enjoyed a real revision.

Tara: I am very adept at typing, I've been doing it well since I was eleven. As a writer, it's just not for me. I love the feel of a pen in my hand and seeing the words appear on paper. It is almost like it isn't me who is writing the story. The character is writing their auto-biography, even if there are numerous profiles. They have a part and it's from their perspectives. I can't get that feeling when typing on a laptop. But I do type up first draft and revise on paper after. Distraction is my obstacle. In public, I put the mp3 on and ignore all around me. At home, television, John, the internet and Spock and choc are all distractions to me.
Does that make sense? It does to me.
I returned home from the writing haven a while ago, went straight on the laptop and came here. I'm on the bed and Spock has parked himself under the screen.
Another reason to write elsewhere. I can't peel myself away from his cuddliness...he insists on it.
Meeting my mum tomorrow. No writing. Unless I can make a quick dash for a brew afterwards.
#356 - November 26, 2013, 10:06 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
 :bangcomputer Any advice for naming characters? A few of my original names are not right, and I have now spent hours pouring over baby name books and the social security website and I feel like it would be more realistic to open the phone book and stab at a name with my eyes closed. I'm pretty sure some writers give thought to this whole character naming business, and it perplexes me. I think I'll switch my tea for wine tonight and see if the name book makes more sense then. 

I have a handful of small scenes to add to my ms, then I am taking a month away from it. Not sure if I'll go back to my PBs, start outlining a new MG, or just use my writing time to read and bake.

Back to it... Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate!  :turkey2: <--- our annual Tofurky roast. Mmm.
#357 - November 26, 2013, 12:21 PM

Glad to see you here, Tara.

Naming characters drives me nuts. A lot of times, I just start writing with a placeholder name until one hits me.  Sometimes it's the name I'm sure of that changes partway through a story. Sometimes I pick one and then it seems to be in every book I hear about--so then I change it. I have done the phone book thing too  :ha

Well, I finished going through another round of revision based on my agent's comments.  Next is a search and find for some problematic words and things while I wait to hear back from a CP. Phew, my brain is feeling pretty toasty.  :winter
#358 - November 27, 2013, 10:43 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Good luck, Tara.  :clover  Mark6b, what a wonderful compliment.   :love4: Pat, hope you find your problem words and give them a stern talking-to. :uhuh

RaeE, I'm having naming troubles, too. I'm just prewriting, but I feel that not knowing this character's name is keeping me from knowing him as fully as I need to. Asked our daughter for a name and she suggested Rob. That would work okay, but it's so evocative, and would symbolize absolutely nothing in this book. I told her I don't think I can use a name that's so layered, but falsely so--almost seems like breaking a contract with the reader. And she said, "You're a crazy lady."  :nanana:
#359 - November 27, 2013, 12:35 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
And she said, "You're a crazy lady."  :nanana:

Dews, I love your daughter. :)

I accidentally named the characters in my MG classroom after many of my kids classmates. Whenever I talk about my characters (not that I talk about them at the dinner table like they're real people or anything...), my kids are perplexed. So I've promised that I'll change the names and I CAN'T. Those are the good names. The names of my primary characters stink and I cannot come up with enough new ones if I have to change ALL the names.  :bluesad:

Happy revising!
#360 - November 27, 2013, 03:23 PM

Members: