SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Revisionland

Discussion started on

Thanks, guys.

And tell John he can drool all he wants. It's amazing how much time it took me just to pick the images and get everything ready for the designer.

Now, I have no excuse not to get cracking on these revisions.  :bangbreak
#61 - June 19, 2013, 06:23 PM
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Z-cat

Aaaaand... done!

Saved and sent!

Now, back to the other three mss that need attention!
#62 - June 20, 2013, 01:18 PM

Pat - Love your new site - it looks exactly like what you write! :)

I'm still waiting on revision notes, but I started outlining a new WIP today and it doesn't suck!! :carrot
#63 - June 20, 2013, 09:53 PM
Soul Cutter ~ YA Horror/Romance (MuseItUp Publishing Dec 2013)
Blog: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/

Yay! Lindsey.   :star2 :music: :star2 :fireworks :star2 

Laura, :gogirl No sucking is good. 

I'm  :snail :star2 :snail :star2 :snail :star2.

I'm a bit worried because I'm really loving some of the changes.  Sure sign I'm deluded? Maybe.  Maybe, not.  :crossedfingers
#64 - June 21, 2013, 07:33 AM
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
I'm a bit worried because I'm really loving some of the changes.  Sure sign I'm deluded? Maybe.  Maybe, not.  :crossedfingers

Sometimes I find that the stuff I'm crazy in love with when I write it actually sucks the worst when I reread it. Why is that? (But that's just me. I'm sure you're not deluded, Pat!)
#65 - June 21, 2013, 08:01 AM
2017:
Sibling Split series (Stone Arch)
Gender Wage Gap (Abdo)
Smooth Road Trip (Capstone)
www.mghiggins.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Aaaaand... done!

Saved and sent!

Now, back to the other three mss that need attention!
Well done, Lindsey. Still no work. I WILL DO IT...eventually.
#66 - June 21, 2013, 08:21 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
When I finished my first revision, I decided to take two weeks off before starting the second revision, so I haven't been here at all. I hope everyone's revisions are progressing nicely, and I hope my subconscious has been doing its job and working on my WIP while I've been gardening, cleaning, and stitching.

The work begins again on Monday, so I'll see ya'll then.

Laurel
#67 - June 22, 2013, 08:30 AM

Pons, I think you're very wise. The power of the subconscious never ceases to amazing me.

I haven't made much progress word count wise, but I've put a lot of thought into how to make things worse and worse for my main character. She's dug her own grave, now she's reaping the results.  :voodoo  Tomorrow she'll have to start digging  her way out  :batman---> then I get back to a couple scenes which need less intense revision.  :snail :snail :snail :star2
#68 - June 22, 2013, 09:17 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
 :bighelpSunday tomorrow. A day of work for me.
That's all I'm saying. Except one thing: will you check this out for me and let me know your thoughts. I'd be interested in them.
http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=67943.msg819372;topicseen#msg819372
It helps to have your work with you when to review it. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.
#69 - June 22, 2013, 12:07 PM
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:09 AM by thunderingelephants »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
  • SCBWI PAL
Pat, I like your website. Great colors, font...really well done. Good luck on that submission. I hope you hear back soon with positive news.

Shanny, I know you may not be here anymore, but good luck with your submissions too. I hope to join both you and Pat very soon.

After a whirlwind week of travel, company and planning a 50th wedding anniversary celebration for my parents, I am finally feeling like it's summer. I heard back from my agent on my latest round of revisions and he loved it! The only thing he wants me to consider changing is ....the title. Gah! How I struggle with titles. I sent him a new list of ideas and am now waiting on his response. Like mghiggins, I'd like to be on submission before August gets here as well.

#70 - June 23, 2013, 01:39 PM

Laurel - You're smart to have taken time off. Good luck when you start again.  :clover

Pat - Yes!  :voodoo Torturing the characters! That's exactly what I'm doing as I outline. Heh-heh. Good luck to you and your poor tortured characters!

Thundering - I've never written outside my home, so I don't know anything about creativity and coffeeshops.

Jody - Congrats on the agent's approval. I hope he likes one of the new titles. :)

Still waiting on revision notes from the editor ... and a cover artist to be assigned. :waiting
#71 - June 23, 2013, 04:55 PM
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:57 PM by Laura_6 »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
  • SCBWI PAL
Laura, do you get any input on the cover art? One of my CP's published with a small press and she threw out her own vision for a cover and they went with it. She was very pleased.
#72 - June 23, 2013, 05:42 PM

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
That's a great description, Pat. It made me squirm! I hate yellow jackets.

I get a lot of work done in coffee shops, as long as I can't hear any one conversation too clearly. I always want to listen in.

I'm back in Revisionland for a few days, at least. Agent is reading my latest revision in chunks. She loves the first four chapters (*sigh of relief*) but she thinks the next section is too slow. I agree with her, but gah!! More cutting. My YA will be the length of a chapter book by the time this is done. :scissors:
#73 - June 24, 2013, 06:46 AM
2017:
Gender Wage Gap (Abdo)
www.mghiggins.com

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Pat, it looks like I'll end up at about 57k. (The novel is sci-fi, which is why that length bothers me.) But Agent tells me it doesn't matter. Plus, it's not "pure" sci-fi, more like a contemporary novel with sci-fi elements.

I prefer tight novels where every word counts, so I agree with your instinct to avoid fattening just to up the word count. I think I was unconsciously doing that when I wrote my first draft.
#74 - June 24, 2013, 08:12 AM
2017:
Gender Wage Gap (Abdo)
www.mghiggins.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I have a hard time writing in public or noisy places. I need silence or peaceful background sounds like birds heard through an open window.

I don't necessarily need silence, but I do need a place where I can create my own reality and not be threatened by outside intrusions like aggressively loud conversations or demands on my attention or anything that pulls me out of my writing world. My favorite place to write is at my desktop computer with the window open to outside noises. If it rains, that is the best, but that doesn't happen very often.

I did get some significant revising done once when I was waiting in the hallway during jury duty. No one knew me and I didn't know anyone else, so I found a corner, sat down, and revised. Juries spend lots of time waiting in the hall.

And I never play music.  :star2

Laurel

#75 - June 24, 2013, 09:08 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
I'm disgusted with myself right now. Between today and yesterday, I have done zilch. Nothing to speak of anyway.
Unless you consider taking a break and creating a completely unique method of making ice-cream. 
I will back to work at some point-should I be permitted.
Spock is in his cuddly mode and is making it impossible. I made the fatal mistake of buying him a toy and he keeps trotting after me, expecting play-time.
Watching a cat play "fetch" with a rubber chicken is a sight to behold. :aah :haha
#76 - June 24, 2013, 09:32 AM

Z-cat

So, I had plans to revise an old manuscript, thinking I had finally figured out a few key issues.... well, this "revision" is going to be a full on rewrite. So perhaps I should be in a drafting thread, but it feels so homey here, I want to stay!
I've been here so long, I'm growing into the scenery. I have a little moss covered hut over at the edge of the property,  where I sit cackling and scratching away with my tattered quill pen.

Yesterday, I cranked out 2k of brand new first and part of second chapter.
Today, so far, I have another 880 words, and hopefully another k or so in the works. (perhaps more, if the rain keeps up, and junior's baseball game is cancelled. Again.)

#77 - June 24, 2013, 12:26 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Day one of second round revisions went well. I went through Chapter 1 completely and am happy with it. Of course, I've rewritten Chapter 1 about 30 times, so it was already pretty shiny. I can't expect later chapters to go as well, but I'm counting today as a good day - especially after slogging through the last few chapters a page at a time.

Sending happy cyber thoughts to all other revisers.  :writing3

Laurel
#78 - June 24, 2013, 05:58 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Great news, Pons!

Lindsey, definitely stay. I love moss covered huts, and cackling is my native language. ::-)

Thundering, I hope Spock let you get a little work in today!

We've been without power since late last week, so I made my way through my stack of library books with a flashlight. The power is finally on, and I'm excited to get back to revisions tonight!
#79 - June 24, 2013, 06:09 PM

Z-cat

Made it through 6k of new material last night!
Brand new first 3-possibly-4 chapters. Now I can get back into some of the original material for a bit. Then the ending is going to be brand new as well.
#80 - June 27, 2013, 09:05 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Wow, 6K! That's great. After my good start Monday, I had a computer issue and lost it to the repair guy for a couple of days. It's back now and I'm ready to tackle Chapter 2. It's been so long since I've read this chapter that I've almost forgotten what happens.  :lol4
#81 - June 27, 2013, 09:12 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Hope all is going well in Revisionland! I just handed my revision to my neighbor to beta read. Eek. Aside from relatives, I haven't ever handed anything to a non-writer in person and asked them to read it. Especially not someone I see all the time. I really hope she likes it! But I'm nervous about turning it in in case I haven't done enough (even though I don't know what else to do to it), and I needed someone articulate who loves MG, and she fits the bill, so...
#82 - June 28, 2013, 01:37 PM

Olmue, if you still need a reader near the end of July, I'd be happy to take a look for you. Unfortunately, I have to get this revision done, then I'm involved in the Like a Virgin manuscript contest for YA and NA. I suspect it's going to take up my free time. 

*hint, hint* to anyone in need of an agent, it's going to be a great contest. I'm sure it'll be announced here soon.

I went through my notes and have a plan for tackling my story's climax. I don't think it's going to take as much work as I feared. Hopefully.  :bananadance :carrot

#83 - June 28, 2013, 05:56 PM

Jody - Sorry I'm late responding. The flu has kept me running at a quarter speed for a few days and it doesn't seem to be letting up. Yes, MuseItUp will let me have some input into the cover, they'll let me give suggestions as to how I want it, and the artist will remake things if I have a problem with it, but the final say is theirs. I tried to get it into the contract that I could hire an artist at my expense if I was unsatisfied with their artwork, but they wouldn't go for it. About 75% of their covers are good, so I hope it'll come out well. :angel3 *praying*
#84 - June 29, 2013, 10:55 PM

Laura, I hope you feel better soon!

I'm in the middle of the climax--about 5,000 words from the end, maybe. Gah, I forgot some of the details in this part and have been saying "gross," aloud as I revise.   :dr I'm glad no one's listening.
#85 - June 30, 2013, 11:42 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
  • SCBWI PAL
Laura, I hope you feel better soon.

Pat, good luck on that climax!

Olmue, I handed off the first three chapters of my current manuscript to a non-writing friend for the first time also. She is one of my book reading buddies and she likes YA (even though mine is MG). I was a nervous wreck asking her to read it, but she gave me some good specific feedback and she was so flattered that I asked her to look it over.
#86 - July 01, 2013, 09:39 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Laura, sorry to hear about the flu. It just doesn't seem like anyone should have the flu in the summer. Almost makes it worse.

I'm ready to dive into chapter 3 on my second round of revisions. The early chapters are in pretty good shape; the later chapters - not so much.

:sun Plenty of heat outside.  :sun
#87 - July 01, 2013, 12:27 PM

This revision is kicking my butt! I seemed to be trapped eternally in the first two chapters, but hoping to break through and figure it out soon. It didn't help that I dumped a glass of water on my computer last week :aah . Thankfully, after letting it thoroughly dry out for 5 days it's back and working again. Of course that means I no longer have that as an excuse to not revise………   :duh

Feel better, Laura!

Here's some revising sparkles for July:  :star2 :star2 :star2 :star2 :star2 :star2 :star2 :star2 :star2
#88 - July 01, 2013, 01:51 PM

Pat, Jody, Laurel, and Joanna - Thanks so much for the good wishes. I can't believe I'm still feeling bad. I'm taking medicine but it doesn't seem to be helping. Blergh...

You guys are doing great! Yay for progress!! :cheerleader
#89 - July 01, 2013, 11:01 PM

Ugh, feel better, Laura.  :flowers2
Joanna, glad the computer is okay!   :drowning:
Hope everyone is making progress, seeing a clear way thru revisions, and/or getting valuable feedback from betas.
Off to shower, then tackle another couple chapters of my rewrite. If I do 2 to 3 chapters a day & then a couple of dedicated passes for specific stuff, I'll have it ready for betas in about a week and a half. I have to stop getting bogged down in minutiae and GET MOVING.  :crossedfingers
#90 - July 02, 2013, 07:39 AM

Members: