SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Revisionland

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Wow, Laura, your illness really seems to be taking its toll on you. Hope you get better soon.
John's birthday yesterday so after he had visited his mother's (always a stressful event) :voodoo, I brought him for a quick drink in our local bar. I should really apologise but that mummy of his constantly sends him home feeling nothing but contempt and it's my fault in her opinion. Twice she's blamed me for the fact he was made reduntant.

Aside from that, I received a good critique from a writer acquaintance. Apparently my villainous headmaster is someone he can very much someone he can identify with.
Not certain how to take that one.

Must dash, my prat of a cat is demanding play-time and his hints are never subtle.
#91 - July 02, 2013, 07:58 AM

Thanks Ruth and Thundering. :)

Ruth - That's exactly the way I do it -- a number of dedicated passes. Good luck!  :goodluck

Thundering - Boo on nasty MILs. But your prat of a cat sounds cute. :cat

Pat - Yay for finishing the 3rd round! I hope the feedback comes back with few changes and gives you the green light to the "nit picky" revision.
#92 - July 02, 2013, 10:22 PM
Soul Cutter ~ YA Horror/Romance (MuseItUp Publishing Dec 2013)
Blog: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Hope you're feeling a little bit better today, Laura.

Thundering - I wonder why there aren't fairy tales about mean MIL's.

Good luck sending your ms off to your agent, Pat.

My subconscious seems to have been doing its job. I rewrote a scene in chapter two that accomplishes two specific things I know need emphasizing, and it just sort of evolved.

I think my subconscious is my new muse.

Laurel
#93 - July 03, 2013, 09:22 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Hmmm. Did the mods dump more pages last night? I just lost about 140 posts. Not that it really matters; but it's still something I notice. Silly of me, I know.
#94 - July 03, 2013, 09:25 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
  • SCBWI PAL
Pons, I think you are right. I'm feeling a little weight off my shoulders today as well.

Pat,  :yay. Take a little break and enjoy the summer for a few days. Light some  :star2 or  :fireworks. This latest revision is different from the manuscript that is on submission, correct? Are they related? A series?

Laura, wow, I'm so sorry you are still feeling so  :feelbad. Take care of yourself.

Happy 4th of July to those of you celebrating in the US.
#95 - July 03, 2013, 10:51 AM

Been a while since I checked in. After writing 3-5 different versions of my first three chapters, I think I've finally figured out the best scenes to put in. Thanks a million to my awesome CP who read every version and helped me figure it out. I'm leaving the beginning now to refresh my creative spirit in the battle scenes! Gah! So overwhelming!

Pons, the novel I'm working on is one big fairytale retelling, mish-mash. I've read a lot of fairytales as "research" and I can tell you that there are definitely some nasty mother in laws in there. They are mostly queens trying to kill their daughter-in-laws.  :aah
#96 - July 03, 2013, 01:25 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Hope you're feeling a little bit better today, Laura.

Thundering - I wonder why there aren't fairy tales about mean MIL's.

My subconscious seems to have been doing its job. I rewrote a scene in chapter two that accomplishes two specific things I know need emphasizing, and it just sort of evolved.

Laurel
Laurel, I wouldn't inflict that type of pain on any reader! John celebrates his birthday with his mother and twice she's changed the "celebration" lunch. I've only ever been invited once and that was enough! She took poor John back to the jeweler's where he had bought her birthday present because she didn't like. Unfortunately, that was the time I was there. I chose that gift and really had to bite my tongue.
Sorry guys, but I just know John will return in foul humour and I'm preparing myself!

There is a plus side to all of this horrid business: a wonderful character profile. I'll probably spend the afternoon creating it. And truffles!
Write on!
#97 - July 04, 2013, 05:57 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Oh, dear, Thundering. Your MIL does sound like one for the books.  :)
#98 - July 05, 2013, 07:45 AM

I think I'm counting this round of revisions as Round 3, 4, and 5. Since that seems to be how many times I end up rewriting each of the chapters I'm working on. haha

But, oh, I really do think it's getting better. Slowly but surely. More voice. More humor, More little theme nuggets. More foreshadowing. I just hope that one day it will be ready for the world. Heck, at this point ready for beta readers would be nice.
#99 - July 05, 2013, 10:23 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
I shouldn't really type this here, I suppose, but I have probably started too many threads to begin a new one.
I have a little bit of good news: I having a reading in a fortnight's time. It is only in a children's art class in a fortnight, but opportunities like this are unheard of. It happened by chance as I walked through a mall and passed by a children's art session. I gave the kids a sneak preview of the story and they seemed keen.
It might seem daft to get so excited, but I haven't done this in seventeen years. It will feel strange.
OT: I think you have all realised I have a daft cat. He's sprawled across my elbows, licking my chin. Time to get his yellow ball and distract him.
Talk to you guys after the weekend.
#100 - July 06, 2013, 05:57 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Yea, for good news, Thundering! Congratulations and good luck.

I think I'm counting this round of revisions as Round 3, 4, and 5.

I can so relate to this. Officially, I am only on my second round of revisions, but each chapter already has at least 10 different versions. I save all the earlier versions so I can go back to them if I need to.
#101 - July 06, 2013, 08:00 AM

Pat - Sorry about your FIL, but yay for all the cool antiques you're finding!  :dancer

AmandaSue - It's wonderful to feel that an ms is improving with each revision pass. Yay!! :)
Thundering - Yay for the reading! That's so exciting! You'll do awesome!   :gogirl

Laurel - Sounds like you're doing really well. (I just write over old versions; I don't save them. Is this wrong?  :embarrassed2 ). I definitely lost posts. One of these days I'll be down to 0.

I'm feeling better this week. My editor finally wrote me to say why she was late (someone else's ms required more work, not mine, thank goodness!) and that she'll be sending the notes Tues or Wed. I can't wait! I want to feel like this book is actually going to be published!  :moose
#102 - July 08, 2013, 12:19 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
I'm only here to tell you that for once, on this leprechaun land, WE HAVE SUNSHINE!  A rarity over here. Hence, writing and alien were abandoned yesterday and half of today to take advantage of it. Sadly, no work has occurred since Spock will not permit it. He keeps parking the ball on my keyboard!
I did see one good thing on my travels yesterday: Patsy's Kitchen. I have a character who is a dab hand at cooking and she would love to see her namesake own a kitchen.
Must go, my batcat is demanding play-time.
I might get writing tomorrow, if the sun doesn't drive me, erm, batty.
#103 - July 08, 2013, 08:02 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
My editor finally wrote me to say why she was late (someone else's ms required more work, not mine, thank goodness!) and that she'll be sending the notes Tues or Wed. I can't wait! I want to feel like this book is actually going to be published!

I don't blame you. Some day I hope I'll be waiting for an editor's letter, too.
#104 - July 08, 2013, 03:05 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I definitely lost posts. One of these days I'll be down to 0.

Each time I start closing in on a thousand posts, I get knocked down a few hundred.   :ohno I know it's all for the good of the boards, and I appreciate the mods. I must have a lot of old posts.  :)

Laurel
#105 - July 08, 2013, 03:08 PM

Thundering - Yay for the :sun and I hope you had a fun time with bat-kitty!  :lol5

Laurel - I had close to 600 posts once upon a time... I hope you'll be waiting for editor's notes soon too.  :clover
#106 - July 08, 2013, 11:51 PM

:jump:  My WIP is off with CPs and I really wanted to take a break from it to gain some distance, so I started brainstorming a new project. Usually it takes me a good four months of thinking before I get a solid idea, but
I got an idea right away and my agent approved it. Not really news for the revision trench other than that it's a mid-revision distraction.

Good luck this week to everyone!  :star2 :sheep :star2 :crossedfingers :star2
#107 - July 09, 2013, 04:56 AM
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

ameyers

I'm stuck on my revisions at the moment - but I believe it's because I need to do a bit more research.

Ann Marie

www.annmarie-meyers.com
#108 - July 09, 2013, 08:15 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Bad news - ending didn't work.
Good news - thought of better ending.
Bad news - better ending requires additional chapters throughout.
Good news - when this sucker is finally done, I think I'm gonna like it!
#109 - July 09, 2013, 08:48 AM

Oh Jude. I'm right there with you. The ending, the beginning. I'm on my third version of the ending, and at least this time I think the plot/events work. Now I just need to actually get it on paper, but my word count has slowed down to about 500 words per day (and some days are just revising what I've already written). It's a good 5 new chapters at least, so it's going slow.

Of course, now that I've totally changed my beginning and ending, there need to be changes made to the middle. I've added a little talking mouse character and I suppose now that he should show up somewhere inbetween the beginning and ending.
#110 - July 09, 2013, 10:43 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Good news - when this sucker is finally done, I think I'm gonna like it!
:)
#111 - July 09, 2013, 12:50 PM

Z-cat

Hi all!

Poking my head out of my hut for just a moment  :duh
Still tinkering on the first four chapters. I keep coming up with *great* improvements that will probably get chucked down the road during some later edits, but hey, I'm liking my story right now!

And I had a minor moment of clarity on another ms I've set aside to simmer - and it's going to get a lot bigger in scope when I finally get back to it.

Also, I applied to an art show in the fall. It's a very cool show, with a very limited number of accepted artists and crafters. So, not getting my hopes up about getting in, but it gives me a new reason to stalk the ol' inbox, besides just writerly news!
#112 - July 09, 2013, 09:55 PM

Why is revising so hard??? I'm still stuck in my beginning chapters, but I MIGHT have made an amazing breakthrough yesterday that should give me some forward momentum. Here's hoping!!
#113 - July 10, 2013, 02:14 PM

Why is revising so hard???

I know. Soooooooo hard.
#114 - July 10, 2013, 03:51 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I have to chime in on the SOOOO HAAAAAARD wail!

When will I ever be past Chapter 13, that's what I want to know? Of 31! This revision has to be done by the end of next week. It needs to get rolling.........
 :2brickwall
#115 - July 10, 2013, 05:26 PM
THE CABINET OF EARTHS -- HarperCollins, 2012
A BOX OF GARGOYLES -- HC, 2013
THE WRINKLED CROWN -- HC, 2015
www.annenesbet.com

I'm trying to push through and keep finishing this round of revisions. But I feel like my writing has lost something. It's voice? Heart? I don't know. I can't put my finger on it. The thing is, I want to see progress on this story, I want to completely finish this revision before putting it away for a bit. Any suggestions for refilling my creative juices without stepping away from the ms?
#116 - July 10, 2013, 06:24 PM

AmandaSue--here's some tough love. Sometimes you just have to keep slogging. And, you know, after you're done and take a break, you'll probably find out that it was the head monkeys messing with you and not a lack of voice or heart. Besides, if some of the voice has faded, you can deal with that in the next round. Now get 'er done.

:thewave Go, Amanda!  :thewave

I'm in a good mood because I'm now revising a synopsis. My favorite thing.  :voodoo
#117 - July 10, 2013, 08:00 PM
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Thanks Pat! Your post and my CP's email saying she loved the changes I made have helped tonight. You're right I just need to keep going. Even when I'm not "feeling it" I know my character well enough to get his voice "close enough" for now. And it will feel so good to have this huge battle scene done with!
#118 - July 10, 2013, 08:45 PM

Pat - You got a good idea already? Your muse must be working overtime!  :flowers Synopsis already, huh?  :goodluck

Annemarie - Doing research and thinking counts as working on the ms! Do what you have to do and good luck!  :clover
Jude - Yay for progress! I'm sure your ms will glow once you finish shining it up!  :star2

AmandaSue - You and your mouse-character are funny! Good luck finding places to stick him in. Maybe if you tempt him with cheese, he'll crawl in there! :hahaha And don't worry so much about losing "the thing." It's easy to get to the point where you've been revising so long you can't see how great the ms really is. Power through!  :horse:

Lindsey - That's lots of good news! Yay for your new idea in the current WIP and the simmering one. And that art show sounds awesome. Keep us updated on if you make it in :)
Joanna - Good luck with yesterday's idea. I hope it works out great!  :goldstar

Ruth & Anne - We all know revising is like being trapped in the 7th level of heck. But all the work will pay off. Keep on going! :cheerleader

#119 - July 10, 2013, 11:13 PM

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
I've been on vacation the past two weeks, which included a social-media break. It's great to get back here and see what everyone is up to!

My agent sent me more notes during my vacation and as of today we're on submission. Yippee!! With nothing to revise, I'm bowing out of Revisionland for a while :bluesad: but I'll check in to see how you're all doing.

Go Revisionlanders!!!   :shootingstar
#120 - July 11, 2013, 07:23 AM
2017:
Sibling Split series (Stone Arch)
Gender Wage Gap (Abdo)
Smooth Road Trip (Capstone)
www.mghiggins.com

Members: