SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Help! Expert wants to make sure she's accredited!

Discussion started on

I just had an article accepted by HL. I e-mailed one of my experts to thank her for all of her help and and hard work during the interviewing and reviewing process. She said she was happy for me and then said, "I'm sure I'll be accredited." She helped me so much that she should be accredited, but I didn't get any photos from her, just expert information about dogs. I know she just wants a line in the "sources" section. But I don't know if HL publishes an articles sources. Do they?

Is there any way I can ask HL to put just a small byline of acknowledgement at the end of the article?
#1 - July 06, 2013, 08:06 AM
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 08:08 AM by AmandaSue »
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
I think it couldn't hurt to ask. Just explain the situation as you have here, and ask if it's possible. They have photo bylines in very small print at the bottom of the page; maybe they could add a line about your source. I would think, with all the expert reviews that have been done on their articles, that they've run into this before.

And if they say no, then you can tell the source that you tried, at least.
#2 - July 06, 2013, 08:53 AM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
It's common courtesy to list a source if you've utilised their expertise, I think. I usually include a person's details within the copy (ie "Dogs are very sociable animals," says Joe Bloggs, trainer for Dogs R Us.). But if your story is what I'm thinking it is then I can see why that wouldn't work, in which case I would think a 'Thanks to XXXX, of XXX, who provided expert comment for this article.' would be ideal.

And if this IS the story I'm thinking of, YIPPPPPEEEEEEEEEE! And actually even if it's not, YIIIPPPPPEEEEEEE!
#3 - July 06, 2013, 06:51 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I'm with Sara--just ask. And I think the word you want is "credited" rather than "accredited." Good luck!
#4 - July 07, 2013, 05:26 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Thank you everyone. I sent an e-mail off to Debra, so we'll see what she says.

Fanzilla, yes, it's the article on the same subject as the PB you helped me with.

JodyJS, you are right. I knew the word sounded wrong, but it is the one she used so I just stuck with it.
#5 - July 07, 2013, 07:59 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Congrats on your sale to HL, Amanda!  Since you've emailed Debra to ask her to credit your source, you can at least let the source know you've requested she be credited. But if she's hoping for something soon, you should let her know that it could be quite a while before the article will appear in print.

Your experience could be different, of course, but I sold HL an article in October of 2010 and am still waiting for it to appear in print. And this is after meeting my editor at a Founder's Workshop and having her tell me she loved the piece and was pushing for it to appear soon.  STILL--it is very exciting to make a sale to HL and at least they pay on acceptance. Congrats again!!
#6 - July 07, 2013, 01:13 PM
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Thanks Bobi! Yes, I let her know that it will probably be a while. I said a couple years, but it sounds like I should have just said "several".
#7 - July 07, 2013, 01:52 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
You never know; your topic might be so timely that HL will use it sooner. Mine, on non-people type scarecrows around the world (think sun reflectors, noisemakers, etc.), can be used at any time.

#8 - July 07, 2013, 01:57 PM
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I think you've gotten good advice on your question, Amanda. I just wanted to add my congratulations to you!! What an exciting sale!
 :star2  :star2  :star2
#9 - July 07, 2013, 03:28 PM

Members: