SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights Current Needs

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Hello! I recently returned from a Highlights Foundation workshop. As we toured the HL magazine headquarters, the editors gave us tips for submitting. Here they are, in case any of you would be interested:

Fiction editor:
-needs holiday stories, mysteries, and historical fiction
-She looks for a character who feels believable, someone she’d want to spend time with.

Science and Nature editor:
-Magazine wants readers to get connected with nature; is less jazzed about saving endangered species. When they do go there (talking about endangered species), they try to look for a ray of hope.
-Want kids to understand that science is an ongoing process, not a collection of facts
-Big appetite for big furry animals, plus sharks, alligators, sea turtles
-Need articles about kids involved in science. Examples: 2/13 issue (kid’s science experiment), 12/11 issue (“Living Near Pronghorn”)
-Don’t send science experiments—they have a ton
-Huge appetite for Spotlight articles on the science page. They can’t always spotlight animals for these, so another idea would be welcome. Send the info on the photo (where it can be found) along with the text in your submission.

Nonfiction:
-Fiction editor gets 800 subs a month, NF editor gets 200.
-Mentioned both What a Pro Knows and Gallant Kids articles as needs

Crafts:
-Needs games, boy-related crafts, crafts that get kids moving
-Crafts about less-celebrated holidays, esp. 4th of July and Jewish/Muslim/cultural holidays
-Should use cheap, easy-to-find materials
-Crafts with a purpose (not just decorative)
-Prefers samples with submissions, but is okay with a really good picture of the craft
#1 - July 06, 2013, 03:45 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Thanks so much for posting, Sara! Great info!  It must have been wonderful to participate in the HL workshop and tour the magazine headquarters.  I'd love to do a HL workshop sometime.   

Sue
#2 - July 06, 2013, 03:55 PM
FAIRIES, Focus Readers, North Star Editions, 2018
GET OUTSIDE IN WINTER, Focus Readers, Jan.  2019
GET OUTSIDE IN SPRING, Focus Readers, Jan.  2019

Thanks Sara! I've been thinking of  trying another NF article. Now I know what to look for as I gather ideas!
#3 - July 06, 2013, 03:56 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Thanks so much for this, Sara. I used to get a periodic email from them sharing their wish list, but I haven't in a good while, so I'm especially glad to see this from you.
#4 - July 06, 2013, 07:18 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
Thanks, Sara! Great info!
#5 - July 06, 2013, 07:23 PM
COWHIDE-AND-SEEK (Running Press Kids, 2019)
Twitter:  @sheridillard
Blog:  https://tellmeastory120764850.wordpress.com/

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
You're welcome, ladies!

It must have been wonderful to participate in the HL workshop and tour the magazine headquarters.  I'd love to do a HL workshop sometime.   

Sue G.: Yes, it was wonderful. I went to Chautauqua in 2009, but this was my first HL Foundation workshop. It was worth EVERY penny. I came home chock full of information!
#6 - July 06, 2013, 07:47 PM
--Sydney Smith

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Thanks for the update!   I'm already brainstorming new ideas to sub.
#7 - July 07, 2013, 06:15 AM
http://laurasassitales.wordpress.com/
Twitter:  @laurasassitales
GOODNIGHT, ARK (Zonderkidz 2014)
GOODNIGHT, MANGER  (Zonderkidz 2015)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Thanks, Sara! Just got my story returned from the fiction contest. Maybe I'll try something else.
#8 - July 07, 2013, 06:55 AM

Sara (or anyone) is there a way to look through some sort of index for the last 5-10 years of HL to see what subjects have already been done? I have an idea for an article, but I don't want to waste anyone's time if it has already been done.
#9 - July 07, 2013, 09:24 AM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
I don't think HL has an index on their site anymore, AmandaSue. I go to the online databases, either ProQuest or InfoTrac Student, available on my library's website--from there I look up Highlights, and then within that, I enter my article subject. That should bring up all the articles and stories done on that subject in recent years.
#10 - July 07, 2013, 10:35 AM
--Sydney Smith

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thank you for all of the information, Sara! Do they need holiday stories for middle-grade as well or just beginning readers?
#11 - July 07, 2013, 11:11 AM
Anita N. Amin
THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
The Founders Workshops are great; I went to one a couple of years ago before the new "barn" was finished. Hope to get to another one soonish.  Starfish, if you have a holiday story for mg readers go ahead and send it. Remember it has to be UNDER 800 words though.

Good to know we're getting responses from the contest--I'm out of state though and about to go out of the country, so won't know my fate for three more weeks.
#12 - July 07, 2013, 01:04 PM
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Sara thanks for posting this here. I posted mine under blog news and that was dumb ... but here's the link: http://www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com/2013/06/highlights-and-boyds-mills-press.html 

Vijaya
#13 - July 07, 2013, 08:15 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Thanks for posting this, Sara! It pays to be a mole, I mean workshop attendee  :)

What exactly are "Spotlight" articles?  (I kinda get the gist, but I want to make sure...)
#14 - July 07, 2013, 08:37 PM

Thanks Sara! It was a wonderful workshop, and I was amazed by all of the information Jan and Paula shared with us. Unfortunately, I was unable to take the tour. It's kind and thoughtful of you to share this information. My head is still spinning with everything we learned!  :thankyou
#15 - July 08, 2013, 08:36 AM
I've always said I'll write someday...my someday is now.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Thanks for sharing what you learned with us.
#16 - July 08, 2013, 10:08 AM
Flowering Minds - Children's Book Review Site
www.facebook.com/floweringminds
www.flowering-minds.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Starfish: I think she just said holiday stories in general--so, for both age groups, I guess.

Vijaya: You have a lot of details that I didn't have. (You're a better listener/note taker, maybe? :)) Why don't you post them here so they'll all be on one thread?

Purpleyams4ever: (like your name, BTW!) If you look on the science pages (the two-page spread that always has a dinosaur, among other things), there's a feature called Spotlight. Most of it's an image--in the July issue, it was a sneaker--and then there is text that relates to the photo. From what he said, the text is what you submit along with a link to where they can find the photo. All the info he gave I included in the post, so I can't tell you more than that.

Audrey: We missed you on the tour! Where did you go? :)
#17 - July 08, 2013, 10:50 AM
--Sydney Smith

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Thank you for sharing, Sara, Vijaya!
#18 - July 08, 2013, 12:34 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thanks, Sara, Vijaya and Bobi!
#19 - July 08, 2013, 01:25 PM
Anita N. Amin
THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019)

Poster Plus
Thank you all fro the great information! 
#20 - July 08, 2013, 01:58 PM

BillyBurgess

Thank you for posting this, maybe I can come up with a story idea to send to them.
#21 - July 08, 2013, 02:06 PM

Members: