SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Allowance for a 14-year-old?

Discussion started on

First question: Do most kids still get an allowance? And second: How much would a 14-year-old girl be likely to get? What is the range?
Thanks!
#1 - July 13, 2013, 08:11 PM
WHISTLING WINGS
Sylvan Dell, July 2008

I don't think there is really a consensus. All different parenting styles. Some give allowances, some don't.  Some parents base it on chores done, others on grades, etc. I think your rate is pretty variable too, depending on how much the parents will pay for after an allowance. For example, is this 14 year old responsible for paying for their own clothes? Entertainment? Cell phone? 

I think the other thing that kids this age may run into with an allowance is that they can start working certain jobs and so parents might have those jobs replace the allowance. Think babysitting, mowing lawns, teaching swim lessons, etc.

When I was 14 I got my first job. Swim lesson instructor. That summer I was made responsible for buying my own school clothes. No allowances in my family.
#2 - July 13, 2013, 08:29 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
My daughter is 15, and we give her $20 a month basically for fun money. We also put $25 a month in her savings account, which we do let her tap into occasionally for things like shopping, season tickets to an amusement park, ect. When I have a lot of book related activity going on, I hire her to be my secretary and pay her minimum wage.  :grin3
#3 - July 13, 2013, 09:12 PM
A Smidgen of Sky (Harcourt 2012)
A Sliver of Sun (book #2)
 A Million Ways Home (Scholastic 2014)
Just Left of Lucky (2018)
 www.diannawinget.com

Poster Plus
My 14 yr old gets a weekly check in his Visa Buxx account (which works like a Visa but is a debit acct). As of last year, he also gets paid for grades. We have always said that for the kids their "job is school," so when he pointed out that my analogy failed bc "jobs pay," I instituted a pay schedule. 

I think he gets $20/week currently (he's had annual raises since he was 8yr old), and he averages $150-$200 a semester for grades.  Since we started the pay-for-grades, his grades went up, & he's become quite the little price minder. Last year for school (even though I pay for his clothes), he insisted we go to thrift store bc "clothes at department stores cost far too much."   So, while a number of friends don't do the allowance or grade scale, I think it's worked for HIM.

We didn't do that with my daughter. The idea of grades for pay was "too much pressure" for her (her theory), so we didn't do it.
#4 - July 13, 2013, 09:44 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
"Your job is school." Melissa, I tell my kids that too! But I also told them that mine is to be a mother, but I don't get paid for it even though it's the most important thing I do. We started giving our kids an allowance at the rate of $20/mo. A third of it is for school, a third for behavior, a third for household chores. I usually don't have trouble with school or chores, but the mouth, oy! They routinely lose it because of disrespect.

Also now that my son is 14 and earning some $$, we are thinking he should be investing more into his own education. He can begin with paying for his own books. I don't want him thinking that the $$ he earns is just for fun or nonessentials. And we remind our children that one doesn't suddenly become independent at 18, but work their way up to it.

Vijaya

#5 - July 14, 2013, 06:37 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
The most effective thing I did with my kids money-wise, though we've changed now (we should go back), was to give them very large allowances, but they were responsible for everything except basic clothing.  They had to buy all treats, movies, birthday presents for friends, Christmas presents for each other, pay their cell phone bills, any clothes other than basic, etc.  We are not rich, so the allowance was way out of proportion to what many kids would get at our income level, but I paid for nothing, so they truly learned to manage their money.  They all had debit cards and checkbooks, too.  My youngest was 7, I think, when we started, and she quickly learned all I needed her to learn about money at that age because it was real money.
#6 - July 14, 2013, 06:45 AM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Member.
Poster Plus
We give our daughters $20.00 biweekly but is attached to their chores (dishes, laundry, that sort of thing). We pay for anything that is clothing or food and they use the money for miscellaneous like posters, make up, or games. We monitor how they spend their money just so we can explain and teach them what sort of moves are not money smart. We don't give them anything for grades, but they usually get a small gift if they get good grades at the end of the year. This year it was a little larger for one of them because she really did had an uphill battle to earn her grades with two of her classes. She also had a very disappointing experience at the end of the year with the school. So to wash out the experience we indulge on a larger gift that would help her wash the tears away.   :banghead
#7 - July 14, 2013, 07:39 AM

I think you can write this any way you want and make it ring true. My kids didn't get an allowance. Their only sources of cash at 14 were birthday money from relatives and occasional babysitting.
#8 - July 14, 2013, 09:05 AM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
My "allowance" when I was a kid was to pay for school lunch and a little fun money.  I had chores, but I was not paid for them, they were expected as a part of the household routine.  If I went out with friends and needed money, I had the choice of using my money I received as birthday, Christmas money or I was given a few dollars depending on the time of year. (birthday was in Oct and then Christmas, thus money dried up during the summer.)  I also did babysitting jobs and had my own money.  However, I was also expected to save some of that money for school.

No one in my family was ever aware of how much money I had, but they were aware that I was a hoarder of money.  So I had to be careful on how I asked for money.  :lol5
#9 - July 14, 2013, 09:22 AM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Totally dating myself here. When I was a little kid I hoarded my 25 cents a week and usually saved up for ceramic horses. Occasionally I'd spring for a comic book or candy.

My brother, who was 7 years older, would occasionally borrow money from me when he went out for an evening with his friends--he'd borrow a whole dollar! Once I was shocked, shocked when he came back and wanted to borrow another dollar! I grilled him on how he'd spent the first dollar and why he needed the second before I lent it to him, with him having to promise that he pay me back!
#10 - July 14, 2013, 09:43 AM

We never gave allowances.

My kids made their money by a. reading and doing a detailed oral report/discussion on books. The Bible cover to cover with reports/discussion of each book as it was finished  was worth $200--that was my eldest sons idea, and my mistake. He was seven when he asked if it would be worth $200, and I foolishly said yes. After he collected they *all* had to read it!; b. chores above and beyond what they were expected to do; and c. for grades at each report card

When they were old enough for a work permit, they were expected to get a job if they wanted money.

:) eab  aka mean *and* Evil Aunty Books
#11 - July 14, 2013, 02:21 PM

Kids do. Mine don't. Most 14 year olds I know make their own money by babysitting and things like that...
#12 - July 14, 2013, 03:33 PM
Robin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
  • SCBWI PAL
We did something similar to Anne Marie without the bank accounts and debit cards. They got a dollar for every year each week. So a fourteen year old would get fourteen dollars each week. They had to pay for all their own activities. I pay for clothes, makeup, that sort of thing. The other thing we did is make them put at least a dollar a week in their savings and a dollar a week in their giving account. Then at Christmas time, we take all the giving money and buy stuff for kids in need, dropping it off at our local fire station. They have always loved that part <3
#13 - July 15, 2013, 12:58 PM

My 13 year old gets $20 a month. It's for things like going to Starbucks with her friends. She's both saving and investing her money she earns from babysitting and other jobs.

On this, I agree that parents are probably all over the place in what they do or don't do in terms of allowance.
#14 - August 05, 2013, 01:18 PM

Members: