SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Examples of women who started small but achieved big things

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I'm writing an article for MSN about things you can do in your spare time that can enhance your life. I've got tonnes of stuff but I'd like to include a section on starting a project for fun (like blogging, or painting postcards, or making jewellery out of sea glass, for example) that then ended up being a major part of that woman's life. I'd like people to read it and feel inspired to try something for fun themselves, with the idea that you never know where it'll take you

So if you, or someone you know, has had that kind of experience and would like some exposure (this is to go live throughout Asia initially, then in 48 countries following that) for your business/idea/whatever, post here or PM me.

Thanks!
#1 - July 16, 2013, 06:21 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
My friend has a craft blog that is pretty well known and has led her to a couple of book contracts. And she started really small - sewing soft toys while her daughter napped. In fact, the name of her blog is While She Naps. I have no idea if she'd be interested but I'm sure she'd reply if you wrote and asked her.

http://www.whileshenaps.com
#2 - July 16, 2013, 06:46 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (July, 2020)
DON'T HUG DOUG (Spring, 2021)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Perfect! Thanks. Will look it up now.
#3 - July 16, 2013, 07:32 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
A lady who used to live in my neighborhood years ago started a blog called "Momastery.com". It started out as a way for her to "live truthfully." Essentially it was one of the many "Mom blogs" out there, but it's become so much more than that. She started to get traction when the Huffington Post posted some of her blogs. Now it helps out so many people doing "flash mobs" etc. , I can't explain it, but go to her website and check it out. Her name is Glennon Melton Doyle. Her book came out on April 1st, called "Carry On Warrior." It became the number one fastest climber on Amazon BEFORE it came out. On the day it came out, she was on the Today show. I know she's been to LA and NY to see where else this small idea of living truthfully and being there for other people can go. "Love always wins" is a common sentiment for her.
#4 - July 17, 2013, 06:54 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Verla Kay. Need I say more?
#5 - July 17, 2013, 07:50 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Anne beat me to it! Yup Verla Kay and the Blueboards.
Vijaya
#6 - July 17, 2013, 08:41 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Anne beat me to it! Yup Verla Kay and the Blueboards.
Vijaya

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that! I'm ashamed to admit I don't even know the full history behind the boards, just that Verla started them and slaves over them without getting paid to do it!

Thank you!
#7 - July 17, 2013, 09:14 AM

Poster Plus
Katie Davis did an interview on her podcast with Verla where she talks about the history of these boards.

http://katiedavis.com/episode-59/
#8 - July 17, 2013, 09:30 AM
ANNIE B. MADE FOR TV, Running Press Kids 2018
MAURICE THE UNBEASTLY, Sterling 2017
SOPHIE'S ANIMAL PARADE, Sky Pony 2015
MARATHON MOUSE, Sky Pony 2012

Members: