SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Payment Reminder System?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hi everyone,

I am starting to get more magazine work and am wondering the best way to remind myself to follow up on invoice payment?

Most of my work-for-hire pays quickly, and follow up on invoice is not an issue. However, when working on a magazine piece that might be accepted six months before publication, how do you remind yourself to check on invoices when payment is due?

I have an Excel spreadsheet with submissions, acceptances/rejections, etc., and I guess I could just get into the habit of going into the file periodically, but there are a lot of worksheets since I have one for each article.

Does anyone have a better way?

Kirsten Larson
Children's Science Writer
http://creatingcuriouskids.wordpress.com
#1 - July 18, 2013, 08:52 AM
Kirsten W. Larson
--
WOOD, WIRE, WINGS, illus. Tracy Subisak (Calkins Creek, 2020)
THE FIRE OF STARS, illus. Katherine Roy (Chronicle, 2021)

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
I print out a copy of each invoice and put it with my monthly book keeping. The first Monday of every month is book keeping day; all invoices are reviewed. Those which need to be billed go out, those that are late on payment are reminded and the remainder are put back on the pile until the next month. Rinse and repeat as necessary.
#2 - July 18, 2013, 03:01 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Also, if you use Outlook, you could go into the calendar section and insert reminders for six months in the future (or whatever). Then the reminder pops up when that day arrives.
#3 - July 18, 2013, 03:25 PM
I've Got a Tail! - Amicus Ink 2020

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
New!
Does your computer have a calendar function such as iCal (for Mac) or maybe Outlook? You can probably set it to nag remind you on a certain date.

eta: crossposted with JulieM! Great minds...
#4 - July 18, 2013, 03:31 PM
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 03:46 PM by AnneB »

Members: