SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Getting a character from one point to another.

Discussion started on

bookworm452

I'm struggling on how to get a character from one place to another? I'm trying to get a character into through this cavern-tunnel type thing so she through these catacombs and into a temple. The character finds important plot information in the temple...

That was all I can recall right now, though.

In the same script, I sort of need there to be a 'trial ritual' so I can get the character from the temple into where that ritual is taking place... Is it believiable for characters to be captured and escape but left the person they were going to rescue behind because they can't rescue her just then and the enemies know she's valuable so they won't hurt her?

On another note, would be alright to have one character go on a rescue mission while the others try to call the rescue helicopter and all of that business happens 'off-screen'?

Okay, I'm asking a lot of questions in this thread but it's easier for me to do this because they're all at the top of my head. Is it fine to just write 'they fight. Character X wins.' in a spec script and all of the weaponry is 'shown' in other parts and mentioned by characters?
#1 - July 18, 2013, 04:21 PM

I'm struggling on how to get a character from one place to another? I'm trying to get a character into through this cavern-tunnel type thing so she through these catacombs and into a temple. The character finds important plot information in the temple...

Is it fine to just write 'they fight. Character X wins.' in a spec script and all of the weaponry is 'shown' in other parts and mentioned by characters?

Nope -- you can't write "they fight," and expect a director or actor to come up with something. YOU are the writer!  :yup

All fight scenes are different according to who is fighting, what they are fighting for, if the movie's a hard R rating or a soft PG-13.

You didn't answer my PM from the last formatting question -- I sent you a script link then, you might want to check your PM's.  ;D

Here is a link to a bunch of movie scripts from Simply Scripts. Scroll down until you get to the INDIANA JONES scripts. Click into one. You'll be reading a PDF that you can easily save on your computer. Those scripts are well done and also have the caverns and caves and fighting and discovering things along the way that you need an example of.
http://www.simplyscripts.com/cgi-bin/show_link.pl?title=S..

READ SCRIPTS!! It's very hard for someone else to tell you how to write a script in a message board situation. READING is best. Then you can see it right there before you, in black and white. It's truly one of the only ways to learn, because as you know, the formatting for scripts is different from any other writing.
#2 - July 20, 2013, 10:06 AM
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:36 PM by CC »
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
CC, mod dropping by to note that Bookworm doesn't appear to have enough posts to have PM privileges.
#3 - July 20, 2013, 11:42 AM

CC, mod dropping by to note that Bookworm doesn't appear to have enough posts to have PM privileges.

Gotcha -- I updated that last thread (writing video camera recordings) with what was in my original PM to bookworm.
#4 - July 20, 2013, 12:38 PM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Just echoing what CC said above.  Go read some scripts.  Go read A LOT of scripts.  If you want to write scripts, you have to read them.  That's just the way it works.  Same way you'd find it crazy if someone wanted to be an author but never read books.  There are LOTS of different ways to write action*, but it sounds like you need a sense of how to write scripts IN GENERAL and that's not something you can find by asking a bunch of questions on a message board.  I think it's awesome if you have a passion for movies, but learning to write them isn't something that comes overnight.  People go to film school.  People STUDY screenwriting.  People move to Hollywood and work as assistants so they can learn.  It's not like you CAN'T do it from the safety and comfort of your own home, but you're going to have to start reading scripts.  Give your dream some solid ground so it has a place upon which to stand.  :)

*Quentin T., for example, usually doesn't write out his action... but that's because he knows he's going to direct his own script and carries it all in his head.  Because, y'know, he's Quentin Tarantino and can do that.
#5 - July 20, 2013, 01:01 PM
GREY'S ANATOMY writer
SHUFFLE, REPEAT (2016, Random House)
JILLIAN CADE: (FAKE) PARANORMAL INVESTIGATOR (2015, Soho Teen)

Give your dream some solid ground so it has a place upon which to stand.

YES. Amen and Hallelujah! Otherwise you're just feeling around in the dark.

#6 - July 20, 2013, 02:15 PM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Members: