SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

The Nuts and Bolts Guide to Writing Picture Books

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
I just read Linda Ashman's brand new book about writing picture books and I can't recommend it enough. It's short---150 pages---very clearly written, and filled with practical information that had me scribbling down revision notes for the picture book that I've been trying to write. There are great examples from published picture books, including from some of Linda's own books (she has about 30 out from major publishers), which are keyed to manuscript samples on her website. Many of her books are written in rhyme, and she often critiques rhyming books at conferences, so her chapters on rhyme are particularly good. So is the chapter on narrators, which opened my eyes to a problem in my own draft and gave me an exciting new idea to try. She also includes some interviews with professionals in children's lit: an enlightening one with a publicist that any writer could learn from, one with her agent, and some with editors she's worked with (some of whom are at houses that take unagented submissions).

The book is available for purchase as a PDF file on Linda's website (lindaashman.com) but even if you don't buy it, it's worth it to check out the material, including those manuscripts, on her website.

(Please note: Although I've never met Linda, I once vetted one of her pb's for historical accuracy, and she asked me to write a blurb for The Nuts and Bolts Guide. I'm glad she did---I learned a ton from it!)
#1 - July 28, 2013, 02:05 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Thanks, Rab. I will check this out!
#2 - July 28, 2013, 06:03 PM

Thanks for sharing this. Looking forward to reading this. She writes wonderful books.
#3 - July 29, 2013, 12:58 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Hi Rab, is the book out yet? I would like to be added to the mailing list when it is released. How to? Thanks!
#4 - August 25, 2013, 09:46 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
It's a downloadable format which you can purchase on her website. I purchased it and read it. It's very well done. I recommend it as well, to be used in conjunction with other great PB resources like Ann Whitford Paul's book.
Jean
#5 - August 25, 2013, 10:54 AM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Hi Rab, is the book out yet? I would like to be added to the mailing list when it is released. How to? Thanks!

As Jean noted, it's available to purchase as a PDF on her website. She is working on making it available as an e-book, too.
#6 - August 25, 2013, 06:25 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
I will have to check this out.  I have Ann Whitford Paul's book too, Jean.  Love it!  :love4:
#7 - August 26, 2013, 02:03 PM

Members: