SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Great Book Recommendation for 2 year old boy!

Discussion started on

mariaalony

Reading Children books has been a part of our routine everyday. I know this really helps a lot to nurture my son's young mind. Though there are times, he gets bored or distracted easily. Still, he loves to see colorful picture books. I would love to hear your ideas on how to increase his interest more in reading books. Do you know any more interesting books for his young age? Thanks everyone! :bighelp
#1 - July 17, 2013, 05:57 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Hey Maria -

So many books come to mind. Do you have a local library? The children's librarian would be a fabulous resource for you. In the meantime, I'd like to recommend a few of my books that very young boys love - all very short text with colorful engaging pictures:

TOO PICKLEY!
TIME OUT FOR MONSTERS!
ALL THROUGH MY TOWN

My book LIGHT UP THE NIGHT is a little longer. But little boys love it because the verse is cumulative - so they can remember it easily - and the little boy in the story travels through his universe on his blanket which becomes a rocket, plane, train, etc.

Good for you for wanting to make books a part of your son's early life.
Jean
#2 - July 17, 2013, 06:29 AM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
My son is 16 months, and he really seems to enjoy Jean's All Through My Town, for the fact that it is so colorful! I read to him at night when he's getting his last sippy of milk, b/c he actually holds still. During the day is harder b/c he's so squirmy. But he will hold still for a few minutes for a lift the flap book. Have you tried any of those? I just bought a Turbo lift the flap book, about that animated snail movie that's coming out soon, and he has lots of fun w/that.

I also have tried to build up a collection of books that make noise. Your two year old would probably love to be the 'only' one who can press the buttons when you're reading it to him.  :)

#3 - July 17, 2013, 06:54 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Leandra!  :love5: :love5: :love5: to you and your boy!
#4 - July 17, 2013, 07:01 AM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Aw, thanks, Jean- and true story, the last time I read it to him and put it down on the couch, he kept reaching over for it. Our second reading of it was a little disjointed, as he was the one flipping the pages...  ;D
#5 - July 17, 2013, 07:08 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Some of my kids' favorite authors at that age:
Eric Carle, Leo Lionni, Eve Bunting, Rosemary Wells, Richard Scarry, Kevin Henkes, Salina Yoon.

Check out your local library and see what grabs his attention. Also children's librarians are the best.
Vijaya
#6 - July 17, 2013, 08:47 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

I recently fell in love with Open This Little Book by Jesse Klausmeier. It's colorful, wonderfully inviting to little hands, and brilliantly done.
#7 - July 17, 2013, 10:31 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Zin Zin Zin a Violin was a favorite of my kids at that age.

And any of Sandra Boyton's board books (don't forget Fuzzy, Fuzzy, Fuzzy)

We also loved (love) Owl Moon which is more of a quiet book.
#8 - July 17, 2013, 10:33 AM
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 10:38 AM by jeanne k »
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
Boy + Bot by Ame Dickman
The Monstore by Tara Lazar
Dog Gone by Leeza Hernandez
#9 - July 17, 2013, 12:54 PM

Red Truck
Police Officers On Patrol
Firefighters to the Rescue!
all by Kersten Hamilton.

:laugh eab

#10 - July 17, 2013, 01:20 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Seconding the Sandra Boynton and Salina Yoon reccs.

Also, any of the Mo Willems' Pigeon books are great.
#11 - July 17, 2013, 01:32 PM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Hey, my kids ate up the Kersten Hamilton books :) They're still big on NF.
Vijaya
#12 - July 17, 2013, 04:38 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Salina's books! Check out Opposnakes, Deep Sea Diver, Penguin and Pinecone... All fabulous!
#13 - July 17, 2013, 05:10 PM
Robin

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Is GOODNIGHT, GOODNIGHT CONSTRUCTION SITE appropriate for a two-year-old? Anybody know?
#14 - July 17, 2013, 05:33 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Is GOODNIGHT, GOODNIGHT CONSTRUCTION SITE appropriate for a two-year-old? Anybody know?

As long as he's big enough to be into trucks. It references crane trucks, dump trucks, cement mixers, and the like in really simple, sweet rhyme. Besides, a mega-hit like this has to be good, right?
#15 - July 17, 2013, 08:17 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Thanks, Leslie. I think I might get it--along with S'Yoon's penguin book.
#16 - July 18, 2013, 12:36 AM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

My little guy loved it at four, Betsy. I think a two year old would like it, too. :)
#17 - July 18, 2013, 12:39 AM
Robin

mariaalony

Hey Maria -

So many books come to mind. Do you have a local library? The children's librarian would be a fabulous resource for you. In the meantime, I'd like to recommend a few of my books that very young boys love - all very short text with colorful engaging pictures:

TOO PICKLEY!
TIME OUT FOR MONSTERS!
ALL THROUGH MY TOWN

My book LIGHT UP THE NIGHT is a little longer. But little boys love it because the verse is cumulative - so they can remember it easily - and the little boy in the story travels through his universe on his blanket which becomes a rocket, plane, train, etc.

Good for you for wanting to make books a part of your son's early life.
Jean

I haven't checked the local library near our place, yet. Maybe next week, I can go there with my son. My son got a copy of "Time out for monsters!" on his last birthday. The pictures are really nice, but I don't know if he liked it that much. Maybe, I'm worried about his age. But, I keep it for him to read on his own in the future.

Who's the author of LIGHT UP THE NIGHT?

Thanks for your suggestions! How old are yours sons, anyway?
#18 - July 27, 2013, 03:43 AM

mariaalony

My son is 16 months, and he really seems to enjoy Jean's All Through My Town, for the fact that it is so colorful! I read to him at night when he's getting his last sippy of milk, b/c he actually holds still. During the day is harder b/c he's so squirmy. But he will hold still for a few minutes for a lift the flap book. Have you tried any of those? I just bought a Turbo lift the flap book, about that animated snail movie that's coming out soon, and he has lots of fun w/that.

I also have tried to build up a collection of books that make noise. Your two year old would probably love to be the 'only' one who can press the buttons when you're reading it to him.  :)

Good idea, Leandra!

I'm glad to know that you're son is learning how to appreciate books. Where did you get a Turbo lift the flap book? I want to find one for my son, too.
#19 - July 27, 2013, 03:46 AM

mariaalony

Some of my kids' favorite authors at that age:
Eric Carle, Leo Lionni, Eve Bunting, Rosemary Wells, Richard Scarry, Kevin Henkes, Salina Yoon.

Check out your local library and see what grabs his attention. Also children's librarians are the best.
Vijaya

Oh, we got a few copies of mouse books of Kevin Henkes. He loves all the 9 characters very much. All adorable!
#20 - July 27, 2013, 03:50 AM

mariaalony

I recently fell in love with Open This Little Book by Jesse Klausmeier. It's colorful, wonderfully inviting to little hands, and brilliantly done.

Is it an eBook or Hardcover?
#21 - July 27, 2013, 03:51 AM

mariaalony

:yay I'm taking notes of all the books you've suggested. I really hope I can find them all and make a GREAT LIBRARY for my son!

Hooray for all! :thankyou
#22 - July 27, 2013, 03:53 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Don't think any one mentioned it yet, but get a copy of Dorling-Kindersley "My First Word Book". It's like a visual dictionary for toddlers and my daughter and I had such fun with it starting when she was around 18 months. Lots of bright pictures and it really expanded her vocabulary.  :grin3
#23 - July 27, 2013, 07:45 AM
A Smidgen of Sky (Harcourt 2012)
A Sliver of Sun (book #2)
 A Million Ways Home (Scholastic 2014)
Just Left of Lucky (2018)
 www.diannawinget.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
We loved Good Night Gorrilla, and Ten Minutes to Bed Time when our boys were that age. Also the Sandra Boynton -- masterfully tells a whole story in 54 words (and a whole lot of pictures).
#24 - July 29, 2013, 11:03 AM
How Things Work (Publications International, 2006)
Bugs & Bugsicles: Insects in the Winter (Boyds Mill Press, 2010)
Touch the Earth (NASA, 2009)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
I love,
I'm the Best, and, Hooray for Fish! by Lucy Cousins
#25 - July 30, 2013, 07:34 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Trashy Town by Andrea Zimmerman
I Stink by Kate McMullen
Chugga chugga choo choo by Ken Lewis
#26 - July 31, 2013, 04:01 AM
TRIA AND THE GREAT STAR RESCUE, Delacorte
SQUISH, SQUASH, SQUISHED, Penguin 2021

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Can't believe no one's mentioned Eric Carle's Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See. And also Polar Bear Polar Bear What do you Hear, as well as The Hungry Caterpillar.

I'll be honest, some of the books mentioned here wouldn't really fly with the two-year-olds I've known. I've found they love the repetitive books that don't really have too much of a storyline and are all about joining in with the process of reading/looking – so lift the flap books and books that require a response or can easily be repeated.

One book that always entertains is Once Upon a Potty (there's one for boys, and one for girls) and it's useful too! The kids just love the part where the MC gets her new potty and isn't sure what it's for – is it a hat? No! is it a milk bowl for the cat? No! They seem to really enjoy the joining in element.

Modified to add: noticed that Vijaya did mention Carle! Sorry!
#27 - July 31, 2013, 07:14 AM
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:16 AM by Franzilla »

My (2, almost 3 y/o) son loves Curious George, Otis, and Knuffle Bunny at story time... oh, and Cat the Cat. But he's also recently pulled out a lot of his baby/board books again and wants to read them because now he can sort of "read" them himself (using the pictures). Just simple counting books, opposite books, color books etc.
#28 - July 31, 2013, 09:13 AM

mariaalony

When I told my son that he will have new books, he looked very excited. He took his bag and asked me to put his books inside. He loves to share it with his cousins.
#29 - August 01, 2013, 10:51 PM

Members: