SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

DragonCon

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
  • SCBWI PAL
DragonCon is one of the largest SF/fantasy cons in the country. Roughly 80,000 people. It's held every Labor Day weekend in Atlanta. I'll be returning as a guest this year. Anyone else planning on going?

And...the Decatur Book Festival is the same weekend. I'll be there on the Saturday of that weekend to do a zombie panel.
#1 - August 04, 2013, 09:03 PM
Jonathan Maberry
New York Times bestselling author, editor, teacher and comic book writer
www.facebook.com/jonathanmaberry
@jonathanmaberry

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I was planning on going but I think it will have to be next year due to scheduling conflicts. Have fun!
#2 - August 05, 2013, 04:55 AM
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Poster Plus
DragonCon is one of the largest SF/fantasy cons in the country. Roughly 80,000 people. It's held every Labor Day weekend in Atlanta.

Every year I wish they'd move the weekend they hold it! It's one of the cons I'd like to attend, but with school-age kids, it's impossible.  Enjoy! 
#3 - August 05, 2013, 06:24 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Every year I wish they'd move the weekend they hold it! It's one of the cons I'd like to attend, but with school-age kids, it's impossible.  Enjoy! 

:werd
#4 - August 05, 2013, 07:43 PM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
  • SCBWI PAL
Labor Day weekend is a bit challenging in terms of scheduling...but it's worth it. And DragonCon is definitely kid-friendly.
#5 - August 06, 2013, 01:24 PM
Jonathan Maberry
@jonathanmaberry

Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arkansas
This year I avoided all cons to focus on my artwork...yay, me.

However, DragonCon was one convention I'd always wanted to attend, primarily because DRAGONS! and all the fantasy artists/illustrators and writers that inspired me and/or I've gotten to know over the years. But I resisted after hearing details about the alleged child molestation connection by one of its co-founders, enough to inspire a boycott:
http://www.themarysue.com/dragoncon-boycott/

Now that there's been a "separation", it's definitely something I'd like to consider attending next year.  ;D
http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2013/07/08/dragoncon-separates-from-controversial-cofounder-ed-kramer

- t
#6 - August 12, 2013, 09:29 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
  • SCBWI PAL
That person with the shady past has been removed from the organization and all ties with him have been cut. The board would like to have seen him buried at sea, but ousting him was as far as the law would allow.  He has no connection at all with Dragoncon.
#7 - August 12, 2013, 08:01 PM
Jonathan Maberry
@jonathanmaberry

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I'm trying to attend Dragon Con next year (2014) Any tips for a first time attendee? I already reserved a hotel room cause I know those book up!
#8 - September 10, 2013, 07:59 AM

We took our kids this year for the first time and we're already excited for next year!
#9 - September 10, 2013, 10:24 AM
"If you don't get it right the first time, just get it written." ~J. Thurber
http://thebrokentree.blogspot.com
http://gglightandshadow.blogspot.com

I'm trying to attend Dragon Con next year (2014) Any tips for a first time attendee? I already reserved a hotel room cause I know those book up!

To avoid con crud: never touch your face or food unless you have just washed your hands. Avoid communal food (chip bowls, salad bars, bins of unwrapped plasticware/silverware). Take a multivitamin and eat as healthy as you can--there is a great little mall right don from the main hotel that has a Japanese takeout place and some other good options, besides just fast food.

Allow extra time to get in line to attend popular panels. Allow extra time to get from place to place through massive crowds of people gawking at costumes (and to allow yourself time to gawk at costumes and take pictures).
#10 - September 10, 2013, 03:57 PM
Youth Services librarian and YA writer. Wisconsin SW (Madison area) Rep.
@amandacoppedge on Twitter

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
To avoid con crud: never touch your face or food unless you have just washed your hands. Avoid communal food (chip bowls, salad bars, bins of unwrapped plasticware/silverware). Take a multivitamin and eat as healthy as you can--there is a great little mall right don from the main hotel that has a Japanese takeout place and some other good options, besides just fast food.

Allow extra time to get in line to attend popular panels. Allow extra time to get from place to place through massive crowds of people gawking at costumes (and to allow yourself time to gawk at costumes and take pictures).

Ahh yes I have heard speak of con crud! I will definitely try to avoid that at all costs as it sounds like no fun at all! Thanks for all the great advice! There's definitely a lot to consider.
#11 - September 11, 2013, 06:27 AM

Labor Day weekend is a bit challenging in terms of scheduling...but it's worth it. And DragonCon is definitely kid-friendly.

Yes, they've started a Kaleidoscope track for kids and their parents and it was fabulous!
#12 - September 11, 2013, 07:14 AM
"If you don't get it right the first time, just get it written." ~J. Thurber
http://thebrokentree.blogspot.com
http://gglightandshadow.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
  • SCBWI PAL
Apart from Con Crud...there are so many fun things to do. Don't carry a lot because you'll be doing a lot of walking. Good shoes help. Bring a camera. Tweet often. And plan your panels well in advance.

Also, if you're published, you can apply to be a guest at DragonCon. If they accept you, they pay air and hotel.
#13 - September 13, 2013, 06:59 AM
Jonathan Maberry
@jonathanmaberry

Members: