SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

What is your childhood's favorite book?

Discussion started on

mariaalony

When I was a child, I love reading the Anne of Green Gables. Until now, I still keep it on my old bookshelf. I would like to share it with my son. Do you think its okay? Having a son is very challenging to find appropriate books for his interest. How about you and your child? Have you shared any of your fave books? :flower
#1 - August 06, 2013, 02:50 AM

Poster Plus
Reading Anne of Green Gables to your son is absolutely okay, Maria!  (In fact, my screen name is "carrots" in her honor!)  As long as he is interested, go for it!  It's very well written and there is nothing objectionable about it.   How special to have Mama hand child a book that was *hers* at the same age!

I have a nine year-old boy and agree that it can be challenging to find stuff for him to enjoy, but *not* because there isn't ten tons of worthwhile material - it's because he is so very picky.  Just this week, he received the gift of a very popular book that is appealing to kids his age.  He hasn't yet cracked it because he doesn't care for the illustrations!  Mind you, this is 200-page chapter book that has few illustrations to begin with.  Aaaargh! (As an aside, I think the illustrations are perfectly suited to the style of book.)  Thankfully, my boy loves to REread all his old faves.  If you let us know how old your son is, we might have some good recommendations.

But, in answer to your question, my favorite childhood book to share with my three cherubs is The Fourteen Bears by Evelyn Scott and Virginia Parsons. 

:carrot
#2 - August 06, 2013, 07:30 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
When I was a child, I love reading the Anne of Green Gables. Until now, I still keep it on my old bookshelf. I would like to share it with my son. Do you think its okay? Having a son is very challenging to find appropriate books for his interest. How about you and your child? Have you shared any of your fave books? :flower

Blimey, I can't stop pulling out my favourites to read to my kids! PBs and MG, they have to sit through MY favourites as well as theirs. Luckily, some of mine are theirs too. Ferdinand the Bull, There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly, Beatrix Potter books, the Mister Men books. And then for MG or chapter books, Enid Blyton, Gerald Durrell, The Worst Witch...

If you read what you enjoy, they'll likely enjoy your enthusiasm too.
#3 - August 06, 2013, 12:17 PM

Poster Plus
If you read what you enjoy, they'll likely enjoy your enthusiasm too.

That.  Exactly.

:hug
#4 - August 06, 2013, 02:32 PM

When I was a child one of my preferred books was.... :oops wait I have to look the right name in english....here it is: Childcraft-the how and why Library. Loved it,it was full of rhymes for children :)And even if it's old and used it's always there in my library :)
#5 - August 07, 2013, 09:35 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I mostly read boy books when I was growing up, much to my mother's horror. Anything by Edgar Rice Burroughs and I was all over it, Tarzan, Pellucidar series, etc. but maybe not the best for sharing with your son.

One of my all time fav was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which I read to my step daughters when they were young and it was a really FUN read-aloud.
#6 - August 07, 2013, 10:04 AM
ICE DOGS, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
FALCON WILD, 2017, Charlesbridge
SLED DOG SCHOOL, 2017, HMH
SURVIVOR DIARIES, 2017, HMH

www.terrylynnjohnson.com

I loved Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time books.  I am gutted that my children do not.  My favorite was probably her A Ring of Endless Light, which they are slightly young for.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams was another favorite in middle school.  I read it to my son and edited out all the bad bits that I probably just skimmed over as a kid as for the life of me I did not remember them! Definitely NOT a kids' book!

But both my kids love The Velveteen Rabbit.  I still cry every time I read it!

I read them whatever I want to.  It's part of the fun of being a parent. :)
#7 - August 07, 2013, 09:15 PM

When I was younger I enjoyed the PB's about the monkey and the guy with the yellow hat, Curious George because I thought everything was interesting.
#8 - August 07, 2013, 09:28 PM

:yoiks Salem's Lot by Stephen King...Yeah, I was a weird kid. A true fanpire before it was even popular.
#9 - August 07, 2013, 09:31 PM

My sisters and I loved the Enid Blyton series: The Enchanted Woods (a.k.a. Faraway Tree series) and the Wishing Chair series. Also, one of the first books I picked out for myself was 'The Wind in the Willows' but back then, I was probably too young and I found it difficult to read. This year I read it again and it was sweet & glorious.
#10 - August 07, 2013, 10:33 PM
Writing & Illustrating Quietly Bold Kidlit

https://carryusoffbooks.com/
My Clearest Me
Little Orchid's Sea Monster Trouble

Harry Potter! I started reading the series when I was about nine, and the releases were staggered throughout my teenage years, so Deathly Hallows came out about a month after I turned eighteen.

I grew up alongside those characters; I can't imagine my childhood/ teenage years without them. If I ever have kids, I know what they'll be listening to as bedtime stories! ::-)
#11 - August 07, 2013, 10:35 PM
MG/ YA Fantasy from PRH (Aus):

* ƇᕼAᔕIƝG ƬHƐ ѴALLƐƳ trilogy (2013-2014)
* Tɧe HµSɧ (2015)
* Aℊeηt NøмAⅾ series (2017)

http://twitter.com/SkyeOhWhy

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton and How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss.

Laurel
#12 - August 07, 2013, 10:47 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Little Black, A Pony by Walter Farley. I think I learned how to read because I wanted to read this book so badly.
#13 - August 08, 2013, 05:32 AM
www.andriawarmflashrosenbaum.com
Twitter: @andriawrose
Trains Don't Sleep, HMH 2017
Big Sister, Little Monster, Scholastic Press, 2017

Harry Potter! I started reading the series when I was about nine, and the releases were staggered throughout my teenage years, so Deathly Hallows came out about a month after I turned eighteen.

I grew up alongside those characters; I can't imagine my childhood/ teenage years without them. If I ever have kids, I know what they'll be listening to as bedtime stories! ::-)

I read my kids the Harry Potter series at bedtime - it took me an entire year to do it. :)
#14 - August 08, 2013, 09:11 AM

When my son was little(about seven or eight), I would start reading my favorite books to him and then realized they were really violence. I love the Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, and Animal Farm. Funny how you don't notice the violence scenes until you read aloud to a child.  Then we found The Magic Tree House series and we would take terms reading chapters. He also liked Judy Bloom and anything by Dave Pilkey. There was also a Time Warp Trio he liked too. Yes, it can be difficult finding good reads for boys. He started reading young adult book in fifth grade (proofed by me of course). Now he's into zombies and werewolves.
#15 - August 08, 2013, 09:31 AM
http://www.samposey.com/
The Last Station Master, Feb. 2013

mariaalony

:yay, you mentioned great books to read. Now, I realized that my son can read any books, as long as he learns something good.
#16 - August 12, 2013, 03:57 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
My son was never too fond of older books, like Phantom Tollbooth.  But he did (and does) tend to like a more modern tale.  When he was 7 he loved Captain Underpants and the Franny K. Stein books.  (He's big on humor.)  That said, he does like Roald Dahl.  He loved The Twits.
#17 - August 12, 2013, 05:10 AM

I have a nine year-old boy and agree that it can be challenging to find stuff for him to enjoy, but *not* because there isn't ten tons of worthwhile material - it's because he is so very picky.  Just this week, he received the gift of a very popular book that is appealing to kids his age.  He hasn't yet cracked it because he doesn't care for the illustrations!  Mind you, this is 200-page chapter book that has few illustrations to begin with.  Aaaargh! (As an aside, I think the illustrations are perfectly suited to the style of book.) 

Wow, he sounds like me as a kid. I can't count the number of MG books I put down because I couldn't stand the illustrations - they weren't pretty enough or correct enough or the characters didn't look relatable enough to me (or I was embarrassed by the 'low quality' of the cover art). I was that picky even as young as picture book age, and disliked a lot of the popular PBs because the illustrations were more abstract and cartoon-y than illustrators like my childhood favorites Jan Brett and Wesley Dennis.

Maybe he'll end up becoming an illustrator, too  :yup
#18 - August 12, 2013, 08:05 AM

New!
My favorites included Harry Potter, the Redwall series, Tamora Pierce books (especially the Immortals series), Watership Down, Lord of the Rings, Marguerite Henry books, and Black Beauty.

Mostly I preferred adventurous good-versus-evil stories, with a smattering of animal-centric stories. (Still do, actually.)
#19 - August 12, 2013, 09:07 AM
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:09 AM by GoldenBird »

Members: