SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Escapist YA recommendations :)

Discussion started on

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
So I'm coming out of a traumatic move, and seriously need to rest my brain. Sometimes when you're going through stuff, you need something serious to validate your challenges, but right now...well, I just want something gentle. Funny. Exciting and full of plot, but someone else's plot, you know? A mental rest. And one of the perks of this otherwise-challenging move is a library 4x the size of the one I left. Which means new choices! So. Bring it on. What wonderful YA have you read lately? Recent books that have hit the spot for me include Kerstin Gier's Ruby Red series (time travel romance adventure with a lot of humor and action), Voss by David Ives (funny satire about an illegal immigrant from "Slobovia" who gets involved with Slobovian mafia and has to think his way out), anything by Rachel Hawkins (ie Hex Hall), among others. Others? What have you read/what are you looking forward to that would fit this?
#1 - August 22, 2013, 07:57 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
New!
It's not necessarily YA, but I'm in the middle of The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic and loving it.

ETA:  Further along, and loving it even more.  I'm so happy when a book has the ability to make me turn off my internal editor and just go along for the ride!
#2 - August 22, 2013, 09:15 PM
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:03 PM by Marissa Doyle »
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Member.
Poster Plus
I loved the Assassin's Curse books by Cassandra Rose Clarke for just that reason. Sometimes your brain just needs something fun, and what could be more fun than pirates, assassins and magic?
#3 - August 23, 2013, 05:26 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I really enjoyed Robin LaFever's series of assassin nuns. Grave Mercy is the first book.
And my all-time favorite: A Fine and Pleasant Misery by Patrick McManus. You will relate having lived in that area.

Happy relaxing and writing.
Vijaya
#4 - August 23, 2013, 06:01 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I agree with Vijaya on Grave Mercy. Thinking on more right now. What about Rowlings new book, Cuckoos Calling? Not YA, but it sounds like a fun read.
#5 - August 23, 2013, 06:07 AM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I picked up LaFever's second book yesterday and the others I don't know (well, I have heard of Rowling's, of course, but I'm sure I'd be #237 on the hold list...). Yay! New books!
#6 - August 23, 2013, 06:41 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I loved the RUBY RED books--so much fun. Have you read THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS by Rae Carson? It's not as light as the others you mentioned, but it's such an engaging and thrilling read.
#7 - August 23, 2013, 07:12 AM
www.annastan.com
Tween novel and picture book author

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Yes, Anna! Definitely thrilling. (Problems in the story = okay. Just as long as they are not real-life problems I am likely to meet. Seeing as I don't have a godstone in my navel, I'm okay. :) )
#8 - August 23, 2013, 07:32 AM

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Austenland by Shannon Hale (not YA, but wonderful - also the 2nd book set in same world, Midnight in Austenland)

Prophecy by Ellen Oh

The Jenna Fox series by Mary Pearson (love this series)

Happy Reading! Hope it takes your mind off of the move!
#9 - August 23, 2013, 08:41 AM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Oh another one I just thought of is UNEARTHLY by Cynthia Hand. I was hesitant because I was afraid it would be "just another angel book," but it was a great read (as were the sequels).
#10 - August 23, 2013, 09:54 AM
www.annastan.com
Tween novel and picture book author

Members: