SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Thanks a lot, Harry Potter

Discussion started on

Sometimes, when I want to feel bad about my own plot-weaving and story-pacing abilities, I pick up the Harry Potter series. And then I don't put it down again for another week and a half.

"It was just supposed to be a slow, easy, analytical read-through," she says, as she rips through the series at the same desperate, on-the-edge-of-her-seat pace as the very first time she read it.
#1 - August 28, 2013, 12:48 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Lol, I have that problem, too.

Then I sit for another week in despair because I could never write anything half as amazing.
#2 - August 28, 2013, 01:02 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
 :haha Yes! I have never been able to read them critically, either, and I have to end each binge with HP-let-down books. (Collections of EB White's essays, Dear Genius... something brilliant and NOT a novel, because even the best will be awful by comparison.)

Code Name Verity is the same way. I've tried three times to read it critically... and I end up devouring it (and in tears) each time.
#3 - August 28, 2013, 01:07 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Speaking of Harry Potter. I love our local library. Last week was the 15th (?) anniversary of the 1st book and our library had a Harry Potter-Polooza. Every day for a week and a half they had something going on for young kids, teens and adults. My 8 y/o and 7 y/o did three of them: "shopping" in Diagon Alley, playing Quidditch for almost 3 hours (did you know that college teams actually play Quidditch?) and then a hat sorting event with a bunch of crafts. It was the perfect thing for this "oh my gosh, everyone else in the world seems like their back in school, but not us, last two weeks of summer.

My 8 y/o has read more than half of the series, so he asked me to read them too. He's taking a break, they're getting a bit dark for him. Not really my genre, but they are fun to read - I really am enjoying them!
#4 - August 28, 2013, 01:15 PM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids, Spring 2021)

Olmue- :exactly:

RaeE- Yeah, same. I usually find my hand inching toward the first book again, thinking 'Well, it seems so long ago that I was reading Harry as a first year, so it really must have been a while.' And then I regretfully restrain myself.
I've never read 'Code Name Verity', but I keep hearing about it. Maybe when this Harry Potter binge subsides? I'm trying to analytically reread all my childhood's favorite novels before November, when I plan to NaNoWriMo up the novel I've been planning, but adding new, great books to my list would be helpful, too.

dkshumaker: Wow! That sounds awesome! I love when I see how in love with the series everyone still is. I remember all the waiting in line parties that would happen for the midnight releases - I hope that I live to see another book craze like that happen; it was great to see such a vast amount of people that excited about reading. It was a great community thing, too, for the people who grew up as the series was coming out.
Actually, I played a bit of Quidditch in college! It was a rough, gritty sport at the college level (a lot rougher than a sport derived from a book would lead you to believe - like a mix between rugby, dodgeball, and football, but without any of the protective gear...), but it was fun! Mind you, it was the only sport my art college had, so everyone was obsessed with raising money for the team to fly from Florida to NYC for the yearly World Cup. I ended up stopping after a semester because I was worried some nasty, oversized opponent from one of the more competitive teams was going to seriously hurt my drawing hand - a much bigger priority :yup
I might have continued if we had a Madam Pomfrey to wave her wand and fix broken limbs in a blink.
#5 - August 28, 2013, 01:38 PM
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:40 PM by GoldenBird »

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I have pretty much decided that I need to plan an annual HP reading binge. Basically, it's a stay-cation all its own.
#6 - August 28, 2013, 02:05 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
GoldenBird, that is so funny that you played in college! My two sons would probably want your autograph. They now want to start their own league. . .. .

Yes, it is great to see the community love a book. My one son is hoping that the library does a Percy Jackson Jamboree now, he had so much fun with the Potter Palooza. I suggested it to them, so you never know. . . .
#7 - August 28, 2013, 02:31 PM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids, Spring 2021)

is kooky.
Poster Plus
*sigh* This happens to me EvErY tImE i PiCk ThEm Up.
#8 - August 28, 2013, 02:46 PM
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become." ~Buddha   

Blog - http://yarghing.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
There's no way I could play Quidditch- the whole time I'd just be thinking 'I wish I were on a broom...I really want a broom...'

I've been rereading HP too(is it something in the air?), but I started a bit wonky, w/The Half-Blood Prince through to Deathly Hallows, and then started back at book # 1. But I'm stalled right now, b/c my baby bro has Chamber of Secrets and now, for some reason, I want to read them in order!  ;D
#9 - August 28, 2013, 03:09 PM

Me, too, GoldenBird! I discovered HP while I was *supposed* to be writing my dissertation: cost me a semester, going back and rereading through them all. Happy, happy times.
#10 - August 28, 2013, 04:07 PM

Champagne Supernova
Member.
Poster Plus
I went to a lovely riverside pub today and found this inside. Made my day!! https://twitter.com/Girl___Friday/status/372842103811756032
#11 - August 28, 2013, 04:23 PM
THE D'EVIL D1ARIES April 2015
HELL'S BELLES Oct 2015
Twitter: @Tatum_Flynn

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • SCBWI RAE
After the last book came out I read 7, then I read it again and I read them all in reverse order, 7-1. I re-read them last year and I'm also getting that itch to re-read the series. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does that.

LindaB
#12 - August 28, 2013, 05:40 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
Harry Potter is addictive! Always!
#13 - October 31, 2013, 04:13 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I just picked up volume one yesterday for my eighth or ninth read through of the series - always intending to be analytical. Doesn't work. The only way I can do that is to listen to them in the car. I have the last two on CD's, and I listen to each section over and over again before moving on.
#14 - October 31, 2013, 04:58 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
We had the cutest Harry come for trick or treating tonight. We gave him the best candy we had. Because. You know. He was HARRY.
#15 - October 31, 2013, 05:59 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
We had a Hermoine come by and I wish I'd taken a photo. She was adorable!
#16 - October 31, 2013, 06:01 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Even though I have a TBR pile, you now have me wanting to read them again.  I think I have already read them this year, perhaps in January...  I find myself waving pencils at things and trying out wand commands.  Especially 'scourgify' at my dishes.  :catmoon:
#17 - October 31, 2013, 06:43 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I could use a little post-Halloween "scourgifying" around here, too.  :lol4
#18 - November 01, 2013, 09:37 AM

Members: