SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights for Children Response Time

Discussion started on

Hi friends!

OK, so maybe someone in here can help me out.  About 2-3 months ago I submitted poetry to "Highlights for Children".  Usually I receive a response within one month (almost exactly), but now it has been almost 3 months.  I was wondering if a longer response time meant possible consideration?  Also, anyone in here ever been published in "Highlights"?  How did they inform you of your poem's acceptance?  Did you need to revise?  Did you get that famous post card?  Please tell me about the process!

Cheers!
Sara  :crossedfingers
#1 - August 30, 2013, 09:11 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
They published one of my stories this year. It was accepted in 2011, bear card about 2 weeks after submission. No revisions on my part.

Not sure when bear cards are coming now. I would be interested to know, too, as I recently subbed to them. The response times section of the boards shows a 2-3 month wait for an overall response so hopefully you will hear soon.

Good luck!
#2 - August 30, 2013, 11:41 AM
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 11:43 AM by Starfish »
Anita N. Amin

Thank you very much for your response!  And wow!  Just 2 weeks later you got accepted?  Awesome!

If you don't mind me asking, what was the title of your story?  I'd like to read it!   :sun
#3 - August 30, 2013, 11:48 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Actually, the bear card came 2 weeks later. The final acceptance came 2.5 months after that - a contract in my SASE. My story was "A Valentine for Nanima" in the Feb 2013 issue. Good luck!
#4 - August 30, 2013, 12:04 PM
Anita N. Amin

Member.
Poster Plus
I subbed a poem on 2/16/13, received a bear card on 4/20/13, and received the contract via email on 7/1/13. This is my only poetry acceptance from Highlights.

I had  rebus that was published in the August 2011 issue. I subbed the rebus 6/18/10, received a bear card on 7/12/10, and received the contract via regular mail on 9/29/10. I was sent a proof and noticed some minor changes they had made, but I was not asked to do any revisions.

Hope this info helps.  :flowers2
#5 - August 30, 2013, 12:28 PM

I really appreciate your replies.  Thank you so much!  :thankyou

By the way, what does a bear card look like?  Also, how many attempts did it take you before they accepted your works?
#6 - August 31, 2013, 11:43 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
The Bear Card is a white postcard picturing a bear family. The text on the postcard says, "Please bear with us while we consider your work" - or something like that. The title of your manuscript is usually written on the card.

I've subbed 5 poems to Highlights since 2011. Four were rejected and one was accepted. The one accepted was my fifth submission.

I've also subbed poems/rhymes to Hello/High Five. Those are not included in the numbers above. I've subbed 7 poems/rhymes to Hello/High Five since 2012. One was purchased, three were rejected, and three are still under consideration. The one accepted was my third submission.
#7 - September 03, 2013, 08:08 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Wow, that's pretty good, Stacy!
It took me 8 tries. And then of course after the acceptance, I got another rejection. :)
#8 - September 03, 2013, 09:53 AM
Anita N. Amin

I've had about 12 poems accepted by them (half of those being with High Five/Hello).

I'd say one month sounds like their typical response time (with a bear card usually coming after only 2 or 3 weeks). But sometimes they take longer. At least twice they've taken a little over 2 months for me. I do think summer is particularly slow.

Three of my sales came after revision requests (via email). Two were minor and one was very substantial (In fact, I rewrote it from scratch. Twice! So that was a double revision request.)

If you are a registered member, you can search through the Response Times thread and get a good sense of things.

The delay could certainly mean that they're considering it! Best of luck.

I can't remember exactly how many times I received rejections from them before my first acceptance. I think it was about eight times. But I usually send several poems at once.
#9 - September 03, 2013, 10:40 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

I am so happy I found the Verlakay website!  These are answers to questions I had a hard time finding in Google or Writer's Market!  Thanks so much!   

When you were published it Highlights, did you find it easier to have other works accepted into other magazines if you mentioned it in your cover letter?  I know Highlights is highly-recognized publication.
#10 - September 03, 2013, 01:33 PM

Getting something published in Highlights definitely looks good on a cover letter. You can proudly list it among your credits/publishing experience. But I wouldn't say it necessarily makes it easier to get published elsewhere. In the end, it just depends on the quality and potential fit of the particular manuscript you're subbing.
#11 - September 04, 2013, 04:57 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Thank you DianaM, Starfish, and Stacy!  I better get to writing some more poetry now!  :oncomputer
#12 - September 04, 2013, 06:18 AM

I hope you hear soon, Poodles!  I submitted a poem  to High Five on 4/8/13, got a rejection 5/20/13.  Submitted a story to Highlights 6/18/13, still haven't heard.  Submitted three little poems to High Five on 8/5/13, got a bear card 8/19/13.  Yesterday Jack and Jill sent back a manuscript, with no rejection letter!  But I'm assuming they meant to enclose one.   :shrug:
#13 - September 04, 2013, 07:02 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Awful Waffles, I feel your pain. I've had a string of rejections lately, too.

And, Starfish, I know exactly what you  mean. Rejections seem to come right on the heels of acceptances.

Good luck to all!
#14 - September 05, 2013, 09:05 AM

Congrats on the bear card, Awful Waffles!  I recently published in "Humpty Dumpty" (part of "Jack and Jill"), but they accepted my poem via e-mail and not snail mail.  I wish "Highlights" used Submittable like they do...I go through so many stamps!   :mail
#15 - September 05, 2013, 10:50 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
We can submit to Humpty Dumpty via email? I knew Cricket started online submissions but didn't know USKids did that
#16 - September 05, 2013, 01:42 PM
Anita N. Amin

Whoops!  You are right!  Sorry about that, Starfish!  Pfffft, sad that I couldn't even remember where I've been published! 

Sorry again!
#17 - September 05, 2013, 05:22 PM

Members: