SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Consequences for high-school bullying?

Discussion started on

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Okay, BBers, I'm getting conflicting info on the internet and need your help. At your local high school, what are the consequences for bullying? In the context of my story, a girl is harassing my main character with name-calling, much of it racially motivated. The perpetrator is caught when she threatens the MC with physical violence. (There's online harassment going on, too, but it's my understanding this is outside a school district's jurisdiction.)

What would be a typical consequence for the perpetrator? Suspension for a week or two? Expulsion? Attending counseling or some kind of anti-bullying program?

Thanks for your help!
#1 - September 03, 2013, 07:28 AM
2018:
Start Your Babysitting Business (Capstone)
Deadly Bites (Saddleback)
Hip-Hop Bios: Future (ABDO)
Twitter: @mg_higgins

Word Nerd
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Our school system just added online / text threats to the zero tolerance policy. I believe your character would be expelled or possibly sent to an alternative school here.
#2 - September 03, 2013, 07:46 AM
POETREE coming Spring 2019
Uncommon stories for uncommon children: http://www.shaunalavoyreynolds.com
find me on twitter @slr

In school suspension, out of school suspension - expulsion here is very rare. Name calling would probably first be in school suspension.

We had a Facebook bullying situation last year, and since all of our students have issued school laptops, it was an out-of-school suspension consequence. I believe the parents also pressed charges.
#3 - September 03, 2013, 08:44 AM
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

This is a rapidly changing topic. Most schools either have recently or are in the process of adding online harassment to their discipline policies. In this area it would range from suspension to alternative school depending on the district and the circumstances of the situation.
#4 - September 03, 2013, 11:14 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region germanyaustria
it depends
Same school system (these are both parent reports and I wasn't present) Both happended about 2 years ago:
High school freshmen female typed on FB "take that back or I'll give you a cyber punch" (apparently thinking like a "Poke") in a conversation with classmates and was suspended 2 days -unable to make up missed work, grades suffered
First grade girl had her pants and underwear pulled down on the bus by a third grade boy -- no action other than taking with him and sending a note to his parents. Parent had to make repeated requests so that the boy wouldn't sit near her on the bus and would be "supervised" on the bus and anytime he had contact with the girl (ie lunch / recess). According to the parent, she had the feeling that everyone at school thought she was over reacting.
#5 - September 04, 2013, 05:44 AM
The Safest Lie in stores now
The End of the Line - VOYA Top Shelf & YALSA Quick Pick
www.angelacerrito.com
FB/twtr/Tmblr AngelaCerrito

Angela- Oh my gosh. That's ridiculous! That's more than bullying - that's sexual assault. And he got the barest of slaps on the wrist for it :ranting: If I was that girl's mom, the school would never hear the end of it.
The cessation of rape culture starts with teaching young boys that certain things are NOT OKAY under any circumstances, not just shrugging and sending a note home...
#6 - September 04, 2013, 12:02 PM
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 12:08 PM by GoldenBird »

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Thanks for your input, everyone! You really helped me out.

Angela, that incident is atrocious. Unfortunately, I don't think it's a-typical. Rules and policies on bullying and harassment are all over the place. Some states are requiring that all bullying be reported to the state and that consequences be consistently carried out. Other states leave consequences up to their school districts. Some school districts let principals to use their discretion. Online bullying is being addressed more, but that's not consistent, either. What a mess! At least it allows me a little leeway in what happens to my characters.
#7 - September 04, 2013, 01:19 PM
2018:
Start Your Babysitting Business (Capstone)
Deadly Bites (Saddleback)
Hip-Hop Bios: Future (ABDO)
Twitter: @mg_higgins

Members: