SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Italicize or Underline?

Discussion started on

Howdy Folks!

If I want to italicize a certain word in my manuscript, should I underline it or actually italicize it?  Which is the proper way?

Thanks!
#1 - September 06, 2013, 02:04 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
italicize
#2 - September 06, 2013, 02:15 PM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) and OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) out now.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Yes, italicize. But remember to emphasize rarely. The reader is usually very good at figuring out where to put the emphasis without it being done for them.  :flower
#3 - September 06, 2013, 05:44 PM
A Smidgen of Sky (Harcourt 2012)
A Sliver of Sun (book #2)
 A Million Ways Home (Scholastic 2014)
 www.diannawinget.com
Twitter@DiannaMWinget

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Italicize.
#4 - September 06, 2013, 06:26 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Thank you so much!
#5 - September 06, 2013, 07:29 PM

Fabulist
Poster Plus
OMG. I had this brought to my attention by a beta reader. She thought I was crazy. LOL. But Scrivener automatically converts italics to underline, so I thought that was still in use. Good to know that my beta was right. I took the settings off.  :aah

Does anyone know whether the double hyphens are still being used to replace em dashes on manuscripts?
#6 - September 07, 2013, 04:43 PM

On Word, I do a double dash, write the word and do a space then it makes the proper dash. Does that make sense?
#7 - September 07, 2013, 04:51 PM
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Fabulist
Poster Plus
That totally makes sense, but Scrivener automatically turns the em dash to a double hyphen and my beta kept correcting it. LOL. She was right, of course, but since Scrivener does it automatically when you convert it into manuscript format, I never questioned it. Apparently, that was back in the day. Now you're supposed to keep it an em dash. It used to be that you had to underline italics, but now that's changed too.  :shrug: I'm only 28, so when people say, "oh, that's a throw back to the old days with typewriters", I feel old because I was the last typewriting generation.  :slaphead:
#8 - September 07, 2013, 09:04 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
There must be a setting for that, that you can also change?

In Word, if you have a full keyboard, you can get the em-dash by holding down ctrl, alt, and the minus sign on the number keypad (way off to the right). I'm not sure if there is an equivalent on the typical laptop keyboard, but I'm sure Google would answer that. I've found that Word converts the double hyphen to an en-dash, not the longer em-dash. Oh, and at the risk of TMI, ctrl plus the minus sign will give you the en-dash (just leave out alt). :)
#9 - September 08, 2013, 06:03 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Fabulist
Poster Plus
There must be a setting for that, that you can also change?

In Word, if you have a full keyboard, you can get the em-dash by holding down ctrl, alt, and the minus sign on the number keypad (way off to the right). I'm not sure if there is an equivalent on the typical laptop keyboard, but I'm sure Google would answer that. I've found that Word converts the double hyphen to an en-dash, not the longer em-dash. Oh, and at the risk of TMI, ctrl plus the minus sign will give you the en-dash (just leave out alt). :)

Oh definitely. I took the setting off and now it doesn't do it anymore. Scrivener also has the annoying default of turning ellipses into triple periods. I've since modified everything accordingly. The good thing is that since it caught the attention of my beta, I noticed that I had way to many instances of italics. So I edited it a bit.  ;D
#10 - September 08, 2013, 10:36 AM

Children's Book Editor
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Whatever you do, do it consistently. Publishers will want to set an em dash as an em dash, but typesetting is no longer done by hand. Typically, they take your manuscript file, clean it up as necessary, and then pour it into Quark Xpress or Adobe InDesign.
#11 - September 08, 2013, 01:45 PM
Harold Underdown

The Purple Crayon, a children's book editor's site: http://www.underdown.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HUnderdown

Members: