SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How much is too much?

Discussion started on

Howdy Hey!

Is there a limit as to how many submissions you can send to one publisher?  For example, what if I sent 2-3 separate submissions per week to one publisher?  Is that too many?  What are your thoughts/experiences?

Merci!
#1 - September 10, 2013, 05:51 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Poodlesnoodles, can you be specific? Are you asking about magazine submissions? Picture books? Novels?

Generally speaking, it's probably a good idea to limit your submissions to one, and wait until you hear about that one before submitting any others. But every situation is different, and it would be easier for people to chime in if you offered a little more information about your specific goals.
#2 - September 10, 2013, 06:04 AM
http://twitter.com/EnaJones
http://www.EnaJones.com

CLAYTON STONE, AT YOUR SERVICE
Holiday House, 2015
CLAYTON STONE, FACING OFF
Holiday House, 2016

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
If it is book publishers 3 maybe 4 per year
#3 - September 10, 2013, 06:22 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
If we're speaking of book publishers, you shouldn't send more than one at a time to the same publisher. Once you've heard back on one, you can send another. If you letter bomb them, they will remember you, but not in a good way... Also, one possible scenario is that they like the writing, but the story won't work in the current market, so they ask what else you have. It's nice to have something to show them. Another possible scenario is that they have writing suggestions that will improve all your writing, not just the thing you sent. It would be nice to have the chance to revise.

You can always let them know it's a simultaneous submission, and then submit the same thing to *other* publishers at the same time, though, if you're feeling antsy.

If you mean magazines, then I have no idea. Maybe someone else can chime in.
#4 - September 10, 2013, 07:14 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
The same would apply with magazines.

You can send one ms. to several markets at a time as long as they all accept that practice. But don't send a second, third, or fourth ms. to an editor who hasn't responded on the first one yet, unless there's a "no response means no" policy and the date to assume rejection has passed.

In case you are writing picture books, an editor or agent who's interested in your first ms. may contact you and ask to see several more mss. before making an offer to buy or rep you. But you still wouldn't be sending that extra material without a request to do so.   
#5 - September 10, 2013, 07:34 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I agree with Olmue. By waiting for their response, you can incorporate changes and make your next submission stronger. By sending multiple things too soon, besides being perceived negatively, you lose that opportunity.
#6 - September 10, 2013, 07:43 AM
BLACK FLOWERS, WHITE LIES, Sky Pony Press, 2016
PANDEMIC, Sky Pony Press, 2014
YvonneVentresca.com
Twitter: @YvonneVentresca

Oopsie, sorry, I forgot to specify that I was talking about children's magazine submissions.  For example, if I were submitting a short story manuscript to "Jack and Jill", I should only submit one and wait until I get a response before submitting another?

Thanks for your responses!  :-)
#7 - September 10, 2013, 08:11 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Oopsie, sorry, I forgot to specify that I was talking about children's magazine submissions.  For example, if I were submitting a short story manuscript to "Jack and Jill", I should only submit one and wait until I get a response before submitting another?

Yes. You can send that same story to other magazines before you hear back from J&J, but don't send another story to J&J before you hear back on this one, assuming J&J responds to submissions, which my info indicates they do. If you should happen to get a personalized R, you might be able to use any information in there to improve your next story and increase your chances.
#8 - September 10, 2013, 09:57 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Members: