SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Proper grammar for speech?

Discussion started on

bookworm452

I heard the other the other day that something like this: '"xxxxx." He said' isn't correct grammar. Is that true? Even though a full-stop is used and that this is correct; '"xxxxx," he said'. So does that mean that if you use a full stop in speech, you have to use their name.
Does this sound like a really stupid post? Does to me.
#1 - September 16, 2013, 11:18 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Yes, it's true. Your first example is incorrect. "He said" is not a complete sentence,  even if you do use a proper name. Did that answer your question or am I missing something?
#2 - September 16, 2013, 11:29 AM
Even Superheroes Have Bad Days (Sept 2016, Sterling)
Mine! Mine! Mine! (2006, Sterling)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I think this is really more a punctuation question than a grammar one.

--- Incorrect: "I'm a nerd." He said.        Because "He said" is not a complete sentence, it can't stand alone.

--- Correct: "I'm a nerd," he said.           Here the punctuation and capitalization are correct.

Does this answer your question? 
#3 - September 16, 2013, 12:35 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I think this is really more a punctuation question than a grammar one.

--- Incorrect: "I'm a nerd." He said.        Because "He said" is not a complete sentence, it can't stand alone.

--- Correct: "I'm a nerd," he said.           Here the punctuation and capitalization are correct.

Does this answer your question? 

Also, this counts as a full stop. If you were to punctuate it without the tag, it would be, "I'm a nerd." If that makes sense...
#4 - September 16, 2013, 01:23 PM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

You might want to go through your favorite books that were recently published and just study the way the sentences are written and the format of the grammar. That might help you out.
#5 - September 16, 2013, 05:51 PM
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

bookworm452

Thanks! I get it now. This was actually brought to my attention by college teachers because I never learnt about the capital letter punctuation there in school.
#6 - September 17, 2013, 12:53 PM

Members: