SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Can my viral video be a picture book?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
Hi everyone. I haven't been doing much writing lately. Instead, I've been working on my educational YouTube channel for kids with the Mrs.

Anyway as luck would have it, we had a video go viral. The video gets about 20,000 views a day.

This is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6qWBhEiP6g

I was wondering if this is the sort of thing a publisher might consider turning into a picture book. Of course I could just go the Create Space route but I thought I'd get some opinions here first about going the traditional route.

Thanks!
#1 - September 16, 2013, 04:07 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I think there are a HUGE number and variety of books covering this particular concept in very clever ways - clever ways that work on the page. Your idea, while entertaining while moving on the screen, with music and spoken word, will be very, very straightforward on the page. Too straightforward, I think.

But that's just my opinion! Glad you're getting so many hits on it!
#2 - September 16, 2013, 05:52 PM

Poster Plus
I think there are a HUGE number and variety of books covering this particular concept in very clever ways - clever ways that work on the page. Your idea, while entertaining while moving on the screen, with music and spoken word, will be very, very straightforward on the page. Too straightforward, I think.

But that's just my opinion! Glad you're getting so many hits on it!

True. I was thinking I had a built-in audience so it might be worth it to at least put something together on Create Space or something like that for fans that might be interested.
#3 - September 16, 2013, 05:54 PM

pretty pink princess poster
Poster Plus
I think you should produce it yourself. Less hassle and you already have your readers! AND you'll make more money. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!  :partytime
#4 - September 17, 2013, 05:28 AM
PBU
http://wwwpamcalvert.blogspot.com/p/picture-book-university.html

Brianna Bright Ballerina Knight series

Princess Peepers
Multiplying Menace

I agree with Pam. 2 million views? Kinda boggles my mind! You have built your base, I would think. If you produce it yourself, you can get that book out there while the video is doing so well. I've had trailers made for my books, so book - then video. It would be interesting to see how successful a book is when done the other way around.

:)
#5 - September 17, 2013, 06:35 AM

Poster Plus
I agree with Pam. 2 million views? Kinda boggles my mind! You have built your base, I would think. If you produce it yourself, you can get that book out there while the video is doing so well. I've had trailers made for my books, so book - then video. It would be interesting to see how successful a book is when done the other way around.

:)

True, I wasn't thinking of that...if I go the traditional route it would take a year (or more!) to get the book out there!

I will look into the self-pub route and report back here once I am further along in the project.

I have no idea how the video got so many hits. I didn't do anything special to promote it or anything, it just went viral! None of my other videos are even close.
#6 - September 17, 2013, 05:00 PM

pushplaylearning

I feel like I am accidentally stalking you but your kid videos are great.  I had wondered myself how one of your videos went viral and the other ones didnt.  You have a great group of kid videos.  I found myself in here looking to refine a child's math tale that I am working on right now.   When I saw your post I had to say hi.   Good luck on your book.   Your shape video is my 2 year old's favorite shape video.  He knows it by heart.
#7 - September 20, 2013, 06:48 PM

Poster Plus
Hi pushplaylearning

Always happy to talk to the fans. I have ideas for a couple of new shapes videos. I hope your son will like them!
#8 - September 21, 2013, 06:11 AM

Members: