SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Dumb things you did as a kid for "fun"

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region utahsouthidaho
I'm stuck on ideas to move my characters along in one of my chapters. What are some dumb things you did as a kid that weren't malicious, but sort of naughty or could be construed by some to be naughty.

I'm thinking like toilet papering someone's house, or door-bell ditching...any thoughts would be appreciated.
#1 - September 16, 2013, 06:11 PM
Seek ye out of the best books...
http://dewdropsofink.blogspot.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
A bunch of us neighborhood kids used another neighborhood girl's hidden key (which she'd told one of us about) to enter her house when she and her family were on vacation. We ate a few soda crackers from the cupboard before being found out. (My sister had refused to participate, had gone home, and blown the whistle on us.) If I remember right, I got a spanking for that one...
#2 - September 16, 2013, 06:26 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
When I was in second grade, my best friend and I locked all the stalls in the girls' bathroom and then crawled out.

Yeah, we got busted. I was always amazed when I read books that showed kids not squealing on each other. Because the kids in my school tattled like crazy.
#3 - September 16, 2013, 07:11 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Visiting neighbors' back yards while pretending to be a spy.
#4 - September 16, 2013, 07:16 PM
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Some kids around here go to the store and buy mentos and liters of diet coke. When you put the candy in the soda it "explodes."

Yvonne
#5 - September 16, 2013, 07:30 PM
BLACK FLOWERS, WHITE LIES, Sky Pony Press, 2016
PANDEMIC, Sky Pony Press, 2014
YvonneVentresca.com
Twitter: @YvonneVentresca

Me and a friend would punch random phone numbers in that started with the right area code or whatever and then ask for some made up person. Then when we were told we got a wrong number and hung up we'd laugh and laugh. Apparently we were pretty darn rebellious.
#6 - September 16, 2013, 08:20 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

AmandaSue, my friends and I did that, too! I had totally forgotten. Also, we would sometimes call someone we knew and use a fake voice.

I really dislike practical jokes. But apparently, I did do a few mild ones.
#7 - September 16, 2013, 08:35 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Speaking of the phone:
-My friend and I once called one of those help lines and (coached by her), I pretended to be depressed. (I know, naughty!)
-Another friend and I called up a boy we'd heard of but never met (friend of a friend from another school) and pretended we'd met him at the pool. When he said he didn't remember meeting us, went into a whole made-up scenario of what we looked like, what we'd talked about, etc. Basically, pretending to be someone who didn't exist. (I know, way too much time on our hands!)
-Also, regular prank phone calls--both to people we knew and strangers.
#8 - September 16, 2013, 08:41 PM
--Sydney Smith

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I remember an actor I liked said when he was a kid, he and some other boys decided to throw snowballs at a city bus. To his surprise, his mother found out (through the neighborhood grapevine), so he got into trouble when he got home.

Another actor said he and his male cousins would set off firecrackers on someone's doorstep, then run away.
#9 - September 16, 2013, 10:48 PM

This was high school, but some friends and I "broke" into another friend's house while he was home by himself for a weekend and ended up scaring him half-to-death by sneaking all the way up to his bedroom in the dark... (Same group of friends pulled a similar prank on me while I was house-sitting...)
#10 - September 16, 2013, 10:52 PM

Noodler & doodler
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
When I was in middle school, we lived in an apartment complex which had elevators. My friends and I would play in them all the time. Some of our shenanigans included:

--Occupying the elevator and freezing into random poses as "mannequins" that people would see as soon the elevators opened for them. (Yeah, I know. We were "brilliant."  :moose )

--Occupying the elevator and playing music on a radio/tape recorder (yes, it was that long ago) and people would see us dancing as soon as the elevators opened up for them. ( :pickle )

--Stopping the elevator between floors and timing it so that the elevator doors stayed open and there was enough space for us to crawl out. We'd then report to the Mgmt that the elevator was broken. :ha

#11 - September 16, 2013, 11:20 PM
Forthcoming books:
HONU AND MOA (fall 2018), author/illustrator
THANKU picture book anthology (fall 2019), contributor

Making up stories about who I was to strangers when I flew to and from summer camp in Missouri!
#12 - September 17, 2013, 02:56 AM
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
 :haha These are hilarious. And here I thought I was oh so cool door-bell ditching my mom's friend. Man was I missing out. Thanks guys. Keep 'em coming if you have them.  :thankyou

#13 - September 17, 2013, 07:00 AM

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Lobbing water balloons at neighbor kids with a homemade catapult.
#14 - September 17, 2013, 07:07 AM
2018:
Start Your Babysitting Business (Capstone)
Deadly Bites (Saddleback)
Hip-Hop Bios: Future (ABDO)
Twitter: @mg_higgins

One summer day when my sister and I were
about 16, we were at the beach  (in Illinois where
we grew up). I suddenly decided that we should
pretend we were Texas girls just visiting. I had a
black cowboy hat in the car (go figure) and for
a couple of hours, I, in my black bikini and cowboy
hat, and my sister, in her blue bikini (no hat - just
had the one) strutted around on the sand saying hi
to the cute boys, chatting them up in the best fake
drawling accents we could manage.  Too silly, and to
this day, I don't know what I was thinking, lol.
Especially because I don't think Texas girls would
wear cowboy hats to the beach! Oh well, I was 16.
#15 - September 17, 2013, 08:14 AM

www.tammisauer.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
My kids and their friends used to go chalking. At night, they'd draw pictures and write messages all over a friend's driveway using sidewalk chalk. They'd try to do it annonymously. Sometimes the kids had a secret name/signature/drawing that they'd add to the mix at each house they chalked.
#16 - September 17, 2013, 10:26 AM
COMING SOON: Making a Friend*Wordy Birdy Meets Mr. Cougarpants*A Little Chicken*Nugget & Fang, the SEAquel*The Farm that Mac Built & MORE

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
- rolled a neighbor's giant lit jack-o-lantern down the hill.  It smashed.
- squirted car windshields with water in a dish detergent bottle.
- sneaked into a barn and left the barn door open.  The cows got in and knocked stuff down and made a mess.
- my brothers dropped my doll in a well.
- made mud meatballs and threw them at our white house.
- made candles from crayons and started a large fire in the pot that singed the ceiling.
- with a flashlight, crawled through a drain pipe for about 1/3 of a mile.  Then took the neighbors on an "expedition."
- rolled up balls of newspaper and threw them in the fireplace.  At first they burned, then we noticed they disappeared, so we kept throwing them in and they kept getting sucked up the chimney.  We heard a rumbling, ran outside and found flaming balls shooting from the chimney.  Game over! 
#17 - September 21, 2013, 05:53 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
1. Dressed puppies in baby clothes.

2. We once gave a certain neighbor a box of candy, which was really chocolate covered ants. He was VERY mad when he found out and we got in trouble. My mother defended us by telling him that chocolate covered ants were considered a great delicacy in France. He calmed down when he heard that.

3. Ran down the up escalator in department stores.

4. My brother and I played catch with an egg (with predictable results).

5. I used the clippers to cut my other brother's hair and ended up shaving him bald. Maybe this doesn't count. I was actually trying to do a good job.

6. Stuck a hairpin in an electric socket. I didn't get electrocuted (obviously), but there was a shower of sparks.

7. A friend and I were making healthy candy. I had a big jar of honey in the back seat of our car to take to her house and accidentally kicked it over. I did my best to clean it up, but there were traces of that honey for a long time. Then we got ants...

8. I had a crush on a boy in 8th grade. During the summer I had a friend call up the school, pretend to be him, and ask for a transfer into one of my classes (chemistry). He hadn't seen his schedule yet, so I figured he'd never know. I don't think he ever found out. But my little romance went nowhere. No chemistry in the chemistry lab.

#18 - September 21, 2013, 06:30 PM
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:29 PM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
We would sneak out in the middle of the night and meet up with boys at the elementary school playground.  We really just played on the equipment, but doing it in the dark like that made it seem really rebellious. 
  My friends also pierced my ears, and we pierced our own belly buttons with ice and safety pins (we didn't know you need a hollow needle for body piercings so we all ended up with infections). Ouch.
  I don't know what age you are looking for...I think I was in 7th grade
#19 - September 21, 2013, 07:11 PM
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:13 PM by bugaboo »
Krisann

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
At the Fourth of July, I used to get boxes of Pop-Its, those little firecracker thingies that you can throw on the ground to make a popping sound. I'd save the boxes until long after the Fourth of July and then do various pranks with them. I put them under my parents' car tires, hoping to convince them they had a flat, which never worked. I also popped them in my mouth (I know, gross) to scare this enemy of mine who lived down the block. That did work.
#20 - September 21, 2013, 09:14 PM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Blowing bubbles inside my school.  Relatively mild, but my teachers weren't happy with me and told me to take it outside - understandable, considering they were the kind that don't pop easily, so you could stack them: I can imagine the mess they would have made when they did pop!  :fireworks
#21 - September 21, 2013, 10:08 PM
- Victoria -

Writing Coaching: vlawinning.ca
Blog: victorialynnfry.blogspot.ca
Twitter: twitter.com/victorialfry

Poster Plus
Friends had linoleum in the hallway of their house.  We discovered that if you apply enough baby oil to it, & you have an indoor slip & slide.  Fail to tell their parents & . . . not everyone likes to slip & slide.  Who knew?

We made mud & oatmeal "meat loaf," put it on a plate, & tried to tell the boys that it was real meat. Only one was trusting enough to taste it. He was angry enough that he blackmailed us for kisses (on the cheek) so he wouldn't tell.

We collected & smashed berries as "face paint" & clothing dye, and we hid "pets" we'd caught in our houses. Turns out some mothers don't think toads, crayfish, snakes, turtles, or baby bunnies make good pets.  The best was seeing a turtle walk across the kitchen & hoping the moms didn't see it. My brother's best was forgetting there was a baby snake in his pocket, which was then in the laundry basket, which caused a bit of a full-name-invoking yell from Mum.

Aside from feeding mud to the boys, I don't think we were trying to be malicious. It just failed to occur to us that there might be reasons for the rules.
#22 - September 22, 2013, 11:37 AM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
We used to have neighborhood wars.  I have no idea why we started these nor how we picked the kids we would have the war against, but we would go out.  We had my grandfather's WWI helmet, a variety of toy guns, from a plain wooden gun (no openings, trigger, etc.) to tons of cowboy guns.  We would use all sorts of sneak attacks, spies, and in the end it was mostly name calling. Next day we would all be back to playing together again. 

One Halloween, when my cousins were at my house and we were not allowed to go trick or treating (long story) we ended up making a very realistic looking dummy from a broom from pieces of old Halloween costumes. We put it out on the curb - our home was on a US highway that ran through town.  We all (five of us) hid behind a giant evergreen and watched as cars drove by and laughing into our hands as almost all of them slammed on their breaks and then realized it was a dummy.  We thought it was a fantastic prank. ... Until one driver slammed on his breaks, ran out of his car, picked up our dummy and threw it up into the field next to the house almost clear up to the evergreen we were hiding behind cussing loudly the entire time.  We sobered up completely.  Dug our bodies as close as we could to the ground and prayed he did not find us ( thankfully it was a very large and tall evergreen - two of us could have crawled under it without any problem).  As soon as we heard him drive away and we were sure he did not drive around the block two of us ran out and grabbed the dummy, all of us ran into the garage and dismantled the dummy and headed inside trying to look completely innocent.  We managed to pull of the bored, innocent look, since neither set of parents suspected anything. 

While my cousins and my brother and I tended to do all sorts of things together, we tended to stay away from major pranks after this incident.
#23 - September 22, 2013, 08:33 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
We did LOTS of prank calling (but with caller ID, that's probably harder now).
We also used to ride down my friend's laundry chute (probably in 4th grade).
I would tape the sprayer on the sink at my friends' houses so when they'd turn on the sink, they'd get sprayed.  :grin3

Nothing too rebellious though. I'm Cautious Kel. (seriously!)
#24 - September 22, 2013, 08:43 PM
BIG SISTER, BABY BROTHER (Meegenius), ROCKABET (Big Smile Press)
http://kpolark.blogspot.com/  http://bookrecsthatrock.blogspot.com/
@kellypolark

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Oh dear. I'm cohorting with a bunch of rebels! I hope my mom doesn't find out.   ;D.

Too funny. All of you. And very helpful.

Bugaboo, I should have put the age, it's middle grade. The setting is rural and the time frame is the 80s the kids are 12ish. These ideas are fantastic not to mention a really fun read. Thank you all so very much.

#25 - September 23, 2013, 07:39 AM

When I was this age we occasionally would stage a fake fight near a busy street. Two guys holding the victim while the fourth guy fake pummeled him. We'd see how long it took for an intrepid driver to stop and break it up (while we scattered, of course). We'd also stop traffic by prentending to stretch a rope across the street. We ALWAYS attacked city buses with snowballs...the drivers hated us.

In high school we got an extra key made that allowed us to slip into the city's restored mansion/museum. We had a sceance with one of the museum's skulls as props, would take dates into the darkened museum and scare the bejusus out of them (one time my friends dressed up in the mannikens' clothes and grabbed my date -- sorry Carol, but that WAS an awesome scream).
#26 - September 23, 2013, 07:55 AM
In Real Life, Tuttle Publishing, Fall 2014

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
When I was this age we occasionally would stage a fake fight near a busy street.

Oh! That reminded me of when my sister and I were over at her friend's house. The friend lived on a busy street, and for "fun", the others covered me with ketchup (fake blood) and told me to dramatically fall down near the curb. I did, there was a screech of brakes, and lady stopped her car and got out. She gave us quite a tongue-lashing--"Don't ever do that again, you scared me to death, I should tell your mother, etc, etc..."
#27 - September 23, 2013, 08:51 AM
--Sydney Smith

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Your rural situation reminded me of a time when my younger brother, another cousin and I broke into her school.  It was old, there was no alarm and I believe we manage to reach through a broken window to open the door.  We walked through the entire school.  It wasn't until we were almost through the second floor that we heard a sound as kids we couldn't identify very well and since we knew we really shouldn't be in the school we sort of panic and thought it was the janitor changing stations on the radio.  In reality it was pigeons.   :lol5
#28 - September 23, 2013, 11:13 AM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Two friends of mine were driving in the country when they saw a tornado funnel. They pulled into a farm and knocked on the door. No one was home so They opened the storm celler doors and went in. When all danger had passed they left a note explaing why they used their cellar, thanked them and left.
#29 - September 26, 2013, 03:07 PM
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:12 PM by jojocookie »
Word-Painting.webs.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Nix what I said. It wasn't for fun. Sorry. :oops
#30 - September 26, 2013, 04:18 PM
Word-Painting.webs.com

Members: