SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I'm cheap, and I don't want to invest in this book (though I sometimes need it for copy editing). Does anyone know of a free online source
--maybe a university--where I can get access to this book without having to pay for it?

CMS online lets you look up a couple things, but then they recognize you and ask you to subscribe.

I'll buy it if I need to but thought I'd ask, just in case.

Thanks!
#1 - September 18, 2013, 10:25 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, EMERGENCY KITTENS!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region utahsouthidaho
There is so much you can find on the internet these days. For instance, the MLA Citation format.
What type of style advice, in particular, are you looking for?
#2 - October 18, 2013, 08:26 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Nothing in particular, thinkpink...just more than one can get searching online! ;) They'll take you so far and then stop. Makes sense, though. I'll probably have to invest in my own copy.
#3 - October 18, 2013, 02:19 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, EMERGENCY KITTENS!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
That would probably be a good investment, Jody. An editor told me the other day that the particular edition you referenced is their go-to book for all things editorial.
#4 - October 18, 2013, 05:00 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Yep. Too bad it's expensive!
#5 - October 19, 2013, 07:30 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

I think the yearly subscription to the Chicago manual of style online is $30. I have to do it for my editing job, so it's a tax write off for me. I am not super fond of their search features, tho. It's easier for me to page through the book. (And, for the record, i am acually very good at using search tools  Theirs just isn't very flexible.) When I signed up for the online tool last year, they offered me the book at half cost, so I bought that, too.
#6 - October 19, 2013, 08:44 AM
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 08:46 AM by HDWestlund »

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I always use the library. But still it would be handy to have as a desk reference.
#7 - October 19, 2013, 10:30 AM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I'm with you HD. I prefer to look at an actual book than to use an online source with search. Hmm. I just relooked at buying it on amazon and noticed that it's only $41 for hardback. Wonder why I thought it was closer to $100.  :eh2 I'd also write it off as a business expense for my editing work.

I think I've just decided what to do!
#8 - October 19, 2013, 01:32 PM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Members: