SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Anyone Else

Discussion started on

Anyone else writing a High/Epic/Whatever-you-want-to-call-it Fantasy novel? I'm working on a middle-grade one at the moment.

Also, I added a made-up song in my High/Epic/Traditional/Whatever Fantasy novel. Is that too old-school these days? It's only the one.

The song is on my blog for the curious.
http://www.welarson.com/?p=738
#1 - September 18, 2013, 11:39 AM
Blog: www.welarson.com
Twitter: @WELarson

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I am! I think. It's more of a fairy tale fantasy... does that count?

As for the song, I don't think it's too old school as long as it makes sense in the context of the story. I recently read the two published books of the Kingkiller Chronicles, and Rothfuss fits in plenty of songs there. It's not YA, yeah, but it is epic fantasy!
#2 - September 18, 2013, 11:48 AM
@kstinek

Member.
Poster Plus
As for the song, I don't think it's too old school as long as it makes sense in the context of the story. I recently read the two published books of the Kingkiller Chronicles, and Rothfuss fits in plenty of songs there. It's not YA, yeah, but it is epic fantasy!

YES to these books!! They are just generally awesome at using high fantasy tropes in ways that SHOULD feel cliched, but instead somehow still feel perfectly fresh.

Oh, and this is another non-kidlit suggestion, but the Game of Thrones series uses songs, sometimes to fantastic effect. I don't remember how much of that is in the first two books, but book 3 does some seriously cool (and SCARY) things with songs!
#3 - September 18, 2013, 05:01 PM

I am! I think. It's more of a fairy tale fantasy... does that count?

I think that counts  ::-)

My guiding principal in writing my high fantasy is to come up with with stuff my daughter would like, so I have some familiar fantasy elements like dragons and unicorns. If my daughter likes it, it'll be a win no matter what.
#4 - September 19, 2013, 07:32 AM

Yes, I'm writing a middle-grade high fantasy and taking great care to make the world familiar, because we start there on page one. No time travel or portal elements involved. Come to think of it, I don't see many of these on shelves. Let me start a new thread about that...
#5 - October 30, 2013, 12:00 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Love the song, W.E. Larson!  I enjoy songs and poems in high fantasy, personally. Makes the world feel more real to me.

I don't feel like I can properly call my WIP high fantasy, though many of my critiquers do? It's definitely an epic journey fantasy, though.
#6 - October 30, 2013, 02:25 PM

I'm not always sure what to call mine, but high fantasy is as good as anything I suppose.

If any of my fellow fantasy MG writers are looking for a beta, I'd be happy to do a swap. I should probably put that in the beta-reader thread.
#7 - October 31, 2013, 07:23 AM

My story isn't high fantasy but it might as well be on another planet for all the world building I have to do.  I'm writing about tiny tiny people in our world and the perspective is so alien that I have to spend a lot of time getting the reader used to the scale. 

So while not fantasy.  Its completely unfamiliar.  Maybe this idea is crazy....
#8 - November 02, 2013, 07:14 PM

david.anderson

I'm writing a book that I would say is mostly fantasy, but because there's space travel, I've been classifying it as sci-fi. Whenever possible, I say "sci-fi/fantasy" to let people know I'm not really basing anything on science.

I guess I'm operating on the assumption that the fantasy genre ends right there, when the ship takes off for orbit. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong about that.
#9 - November 04, 2013, 05:37 PM

I've heard the term 'science fantasy', but I don't know if it's in common usage.
#10 - November 05, 2013, 06:40 AM

david.anderson

Sci-fa?

Or it could be Sci-fi-fa.

Beginning to sound like a musical scale...
#11 - November 05, 2013, 07:27 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
You mean fantasy elements like Star Wars? If so it would be Space Opera.
#12 - November 06, 2013, 03:15 PM
Bradley Johnson
@storyjuggler
http://storyjuggler.wordpress.com/

david.anderson

Okay, now it's really sounding like it's going to involve singing.
#13 - November 06, 2013, 06:50 PM

Members: