SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Mystery conspiracy manuscript

Discussion started on

bookworm452

I wasn't sure where to post this so I thought since it would be a YA, I'd be able to post this here.
I really want to write a mystery series (like a stand-alone series) once I finished my current manuscript. Or at least plan it out for the future, I have a very basic concept for one. One of the MC lives in this small, boring town when a new girl (other MC) comes in. She's completely different to everyone else and it turns out she investigating the small town because of some mystery, conspiracy thing.
That's all I got. Does anyone know of any town related conspiracies or anything that could be related to the town? My favourite mystery novels (if they are actually in the mystery genre) are Andy McDermott's novels, Dan Brown's novels and The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman. I'd love to write something like that!
The amount of research it must take though! :0
Another question: what are your favourite mystery novels? Whenever I say mystery, I just think of the 'whoddunnit?' type books...
#1 - September 25, 2013, 01:55 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I really want to write a mystery series (like a stand-alone series)

I think there's some contradiction in terms here. A stand-alone book has no sequels, prequels, or companion novels. It's a one-off. A duology, trilogy, or series, obviously has more books, featuring the same characters or same world. (It's not always the same characters, example: Susan Beth Pfeffer's Life As We Knew It books.) I'm not sure what a "stand-alone series" would be.

In your description of your idea, it sounds like your secondary MC is your detective. Maybe I'm wrong and that's just the way it "came out" when you described it. Not saying it can't work, but I'd consider carefully whether your want your detective to be secondary -- unless your small-town-dweller is trying to solve the mystery of who this new, different girl is (for what stakes?) and the twist is that the new girl is herself a detective.

If your detective lives in a small town, you may eventually want to vary your setting a bit -- she travels, she goes to summer camp, she has dual homes in the city and the village -- because it can strain credulity to have mystery after mystery taking place in the same small town.

As for YA mysteries, or any other kind of book, a quick Google will put you in business. Here's just one list: http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/young-adult-mystery
#2 - September 25, 2013, 09:07 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

bookworm452

I couldn't think any way to explain it. If I was lucky enough to my current manuscript published, I'd properly start on it. But my current idea is these three girls )two of who were took of the street by the third girl's uncle and raised them) who were constantly trained to solve mysteries as they grew up.
And each 'novel' (at this point) would be a different mystery being solved by one of the girls. So book one is one girl, two book is another and third is the last girl.
Each book would have two protagonist's; a character from the town and one of the girls.
Okay and I'll have a look! Thanks!
#3 - September 25, 2013, 10:24 AM

Members: