SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Finish a Draft in October

Discussion started on

I really liked the Finish a Draft in September thread, but I had a problem; the odds of me finishing up in September were right there with flying pigs, and I never had it as a goal. October is a very different matter--I want to finish off that first draft of my new WIP.

So it's spooky month time, how are you doing on trying to scare up a completed draft?
#1 - October 01, 2013, 09:24 AM
Blog: www.welarson.com
Twitter: @WELarson

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I utterly failed last month, but it's a new month, right? :)
#2 - October 01, 2013, 09:37 AM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I utterly failed last month, but it's a new month, right? :)
Ditto!

:goodluck
#4 - October 01, 2013, 11:44 AM
www.andreabrame.com  |  Twitter: http://twitter.com/Andrea_Brame  |  Instagram: @andreabrame

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I got caught up in contracted deadlines so totally utterly failed in Sept. I'm up for trying again. But not until the second week of Oct, as the deadlines are still kicking my butt.   :!
#5 - October 01, 2013, 11:49 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Ooo, I was a big September Failure. October might be my month!
#6 - October 01, 2013, 11:52 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Count me in! This is just the push I need.
#7 - October 01, 2013, 12:03 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I'll play, too! I need to get another draft of my WIP done and my NaNo novel planned. Huzzah!
#8 - October 01, 2013, 02:20 PM
@kstinek

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
I need this, so I'm joining the party!  :partytime
#9 - October 01, 2013, 02:37 PM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

I'm 48k into my MG fantasy novel with I figure about 12-18k left to write.

I've started off the month with a fizzle as I have managed about 400 words. But I finished a chapter last night and spent my early morning time doing a read-through before moving on. Tomorrow I charge fearlessly ahead... maybe.
#10 - October 01, 2013, 06:31 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Yes please!
#11 - October 02, 2013, 01:09 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm in.
#12 - October 02, 2013, 09:50 AM
DUCKWORTH, THE DIFFICULT CHILD (Atheneum, 2019)
INCOGNOLIO (Janx Press, 2017)
CRASHING EDEN  (Solstice, 2012)
OTTO GROWS DOWN (Sterling, 2009)

I fell just short in September, and was so disappointed that I got a nice case of block the last couple of days. However, today I sat down and got halfway through the climax of my story. I am back on track and hoping I will finish sometime next week.
#13 - October 02, 2013, 05:32 PM

I want to try!  October is my favorite month, so fingers crossed!
#14 - October 03, 2013, 04:23 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I added 2K last night and am hoping for another good writing day today. Go, Octoberites! (Octoberwrites?)
#15 - October 03, 2013, 05:08 AM

Two thousand words is pretty impressive  ;D. Good start to the month.

1200 words yesterday and  I broke 50k.

Early morning writing was only 250 words so today doesn't look so good. I did write more notes for the final chapters though.
#16 - October 03, 2013, 07:27 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hooray! Great job, you guys :) I just got notes back from my CP, so the next couple days are dedicated to organizing my plan of attack with my index cards. Ah, how I wish for summer days when I didn't have to do book things around school things...
#17 - October 03, 2013, 08:33 AM
@kstinek

So I totally failed at finishing my draft in September… Hooray for an October thread and a second chance!! :grin3

My October goal: finish the first half of my enormous in-progress revision. I got some good work done today. Wrote almost 2k and finished a chapter!

Good luck everybody! :pumpkinhead:
#18 - October 03, 2013, 05:10 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
I failed in Sept. too (who volunteered me for all this stuff at school? Someone stop me before I volunteer again!). But now that I've realized that my manuscript has to be done many months early for SCBWI conference critiques, I'm in for October. Let's get it done!
#19 - October 03, 2013, 05:23 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Since I promised my crit group my ending for our next meeting, I'd better practice nonstop BIC for the next few days!
#20 - October 03, 2013, 05:48 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Only 500 words today. Lots of parent teacher conferences, though! Ah, well. Maybe I can chalk it up to "research" (remembering what the inside of a high school looks like, and that funky smell around the lockers...)
#21 - October 03, 2013, 06:45 PM

500 words isn't nothing.

I managed 690 words yesterday, but today my early morning session netted me 1,100 words ::-).
#22 - October 04, 2013, 05:55 AM

I am down to the last chapter.  :yeah I couldn't tell you word count--I've been ignoring numbers and just muscling through--but I finished the climax of my story today and just have to wrap things up. :snoopy :snoopy :snoopy (You probably can't tell I'm a little excited.)
#23 - October 04, 2013, 01:00 PM

Gonna try to get my WIP done in October too. The key word there is try. I've had an awful case of writer's block lately.
#24 - October 04, 2013, 01:34 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I didn't finish in September either so I'm going to try again.
 :yoda
#25 - October 04, 2013, 04:16 PM
THE SECRET OF FERRELL SAVAGE
Atheneum (Simon & Schuster) February, 2014

I'm going to jump in here. Hopefully the motivation will help.  I've been working on my WIP since October 2011, so finishing the first draft this month in 2013 would be perfect. I think I have about 5k words to write so hopefully I can wrap it up!
#26 - October 05, 2013, 05:52 AM

Count me in!

I am about 1500 words into a chapter book (MG) and I want to finish the FD in the next 7 days.

That sounds ridiculous, right? But it's a very small book, the outline is set and all I need is to write. I am at my parents', recuperating from illness and I will never get this kind of time again once I get well! So this accountability thread is a god-send. I just want to finish the draft instead of thinking all the time, perfecting the outline!

My speed is 1200 words an hour on my best days (they are quite rare) and I want to see if I can make every day in the next week like that.  All the best, every one :)

Rads
#27 - October 05, 2013, 07:41 AM
12 books in 12 months! Follow my Chapter Book 12x12 journey at www.childrenswriter.in

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Fun! I'm jumping in here too! I have a new shiny idea and would like to be finished with the first draft by November.
#28 - October 05, 2013, 10:25 AM
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

I'm in!!

Eab
#29 - October 05, 2013, 01:44 PM

I got 2700 words over the weekend which puts me at 55k. About 8k left according to my outline. It's getting close.
#30 - October 07, 2013, 07:21 AM

Members: