SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Flashback question

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
So in my current WIP I'm considering having alternating chapters to show the budding romance between MC and his love who is not in the picture at the moment. I've read The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han and she does this effectively and I'm currently reading Please Excuse Vera Dietz by A.S. King, and it obviously works. (Great read BTW-voice!) Any opinions on this? I consider these flashbacks, but maybe I'm wrong. And I know flashbacks are frowned upon and not always popular as it takes the reader out of the story-- But...?

Meanwhile=  :muscles
#1 - October 06, 2013, 08:27 AM

KimJo

If you're alternating chapters with one in the "present" and one showing the past of your MC's relationship (which is how I understand your post; please tell me if I've got it wrong) I'm not sure that would necessarily be considered flashbacks; to me, it would be more like two interlocking stories, and with the set pattern of one present chapter/one past, I don't think it would pull readers out of the story. Just my thoughts.
#2 - October 06, 2013, 08:48 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I agree with Kimjo. This is especially true if the two stories come together seamlessly later on. I assume they will.
#3 - October 28, 2013, 10:46 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

You might also try The Coldest Girl In Coldtown. It goes back and forth between present events and backstory and creates a lot of tension and suspense that way.
#4 - October 28, 2013, 11:56 AM
The Echo Room (Tor Teen, 2018)
Where Futures End (Penguin, 2016)
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
GATED by Amy Christine Parker does a brilliant job using flashbacks. I think they can be very effective when done properly.
#5 - November 04, 2013, 05:57 PM
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Members: