SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Sound words

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
What sound would a jar full of marbles make? I'm stuck on clink, rattle, and tinkle--and none of those are right.

:eh2
#1 - October 10, 2013, 12:27 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
 :king2 Franzilla is the sound-word QUEEN! Or Princess. Whatever she prefers. :-) I'll go find her! She can create words for almost any sound you can think of!
#2 - October 10, 2013, 12:29 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Yay! Thank you!

When a single marble drops into the jar it "plinks," but the whole darn jar has me stumped.  :shrug:
#3 - October 10, 2013, 12:34 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Blimey, THE PRESSURE!! Now whatever I say will sound downright stupid! Because unlike the sounds you've listed, mine are usually made up. Made up ones could be, glackle (say it out loud twice and you'll see what I mean! i hope), glackit glackit, chickutt chickutt. When I say those it sounds like a jar of marbles but maybe it only works for me!

Real words: chink, ker-plunk (is that a word?!), clatter, clack?
#4 - October 10, 2013, 12:39 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
 :love4: That was FAST! Thank you!!

It's a mg, so I think I'm stuck with a real word or my MC would have words with me. Clatter will be perfect. But, I now want to write a PB about a jar of marbles so I can use glackle and chickutt chickutt. AMAZING. You have a gift!  :bow:
#5 - October 10, 2013, 12:43 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
:love4: That was FAST! Thank you!!

It's a mg, so I think I'm stuck with a real word or my MC would have words with me. Clatter will be perfect. But, I now want to write a PB about a jar of marbles so I can use glackle and chickutt chickutt. AMAZING. You have a gift!  :bow:

She does, Rae... but don't tell her because her head might explode.

Thanks for responding so quickly, Siski!  :proud  Those are some great sounds for marbles. All of mine were  :yuk: so I'm not going to post them!
#6 - October 10, 2013, 01:00 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
My pleasure! Only my head is so big now that I'm not sure I'll get my T-shirt over it tonight.

And Salina, how I wish I knew what your least favourite smiley was! I would haunt you with it! :pumpkinhead:
#7 - October 10, 2013, 01:17 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
And Salina, how I wish I knew what your least favourite smiley was! I would haunt you with it! :pumpkinhead:

Hee hee... I will never tell... for obvious reasons!!!  :haha  Oh... this is my least favorite:  :whitebunny Just keep sending me white hopping bunnies and we'll be even!  :whistle

And I only tease the ones I love... :!
#8 - October 10, 2013, 01:22 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
My pleasure! Only my head is so big now that I'm not sure I'll get my T-shirt over it tonight.

Who cares about the tshirt--use that genius! You could set up a booth somewhere and make millions selling sound words to frustrated authors. ("Cow plodding through mud? No problem. Bell or no bell?")

#9 - October 10, 2013, 01:26 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Well, I have to say [rolls some marbles around in a jar], they sort of clickity rumble --- maybe the 'CLUMBLE'... :haha
#10 - October 10, 2013, 01:37 PM
Legend of The Beaver's Tail '15
Schnitzel: A Cautionary Tale for Lazy Louts,  '16
Moo La La! Cow Goes Shopping, '17
Piece by Piece, '17

Member.
Poster Plus
Well, I have to say [rolls some marbles around in a jar], they sort of clickity rumble --- maybe the 'CLUMBLE'... :haha

I'm starting to feel like an embarrassing parent. *taps finger* What else could I make my hyper-aware MC say? Perhaps... Clumble? Bwahaha...
#11 - October 10, 2013, 01:53 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
What about chunk or chunking? It sounds "fuller" to me than plinking....

#12 - October 13, 2013, 10:25 AM
MIND YOUR MONSTERS (Sterling, 2015)
HYPNOSIS HARRY (Sky Pony, 2016)
LUCY LOVES SHERMAN (Sky Pony, 2017)

Member.
Poster Plus
What about chunk or chunking? It sounds "fuller" to me than plinking....

Thanks, crookedbook! Words are the best. ::-)
#13 - October 13, 2013, 11:03 AM

Blimey, THE PRESSURE!! Now whatever I say will sound downright stupid! Because unlike the sounds you've listed, mine are usually made up. Made up ones could be, glackle (say it out loud twice and you'll see what I mean! i hope), glackit glackit, chickutt chickutt. When I say those it sounds like a jar of marbles but maybe it only works for me!

Real words: chink, ker-plunk (is that a word?!), clatter, clack?
I doubt ker-plunk is a word since it became underlined in red, but I like it. Does it have to be a true word? Often the best sounding are the words you make yourself.
I would think they could rattle or chink.
#14 - October 15, 2013, 09:25 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
I loved Franzilla's words! Amazing!
#15 - October 30, 2013, 04:13 PM

Members: