SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Color consistency with digital painting

Discussion started on

My main medium has been pen and ink for many years, recently I have been playing with different ways to add color to my work to make myself more marketable. If you visit my website http://www.monicaminto.com/portfolio-2/ have a picture of a fox and rooster in my portfolio done with pen and ink and painted with light watercolor washes in Photoshop. Today I was at the SCBWI of Arizona conference. Every year they have a first look - first page session for illustrators and authors. I sent in a digitally painted piece a self publisher had requested me to do last year. When the piece was displayed on the screen the colors were all skewed - a deep purple depicting night was a smoky blue and a gradation of yellow, pink and light blue for the light inside of a window was green, orange and blue. Anyway, the problem was an incorrect transfer of color. Those of you who do digital painting - can you tell me how I can avoid this in future digital work or at least the transfer of work. The piece was sent over email in a low resolution and JPEG file form. I have a IMAC and the piece looked good on my screen. I have had my fox picture printed as a promotional postcard and the colors were true in the print which was downloaded through a website but at a high resolution. Thanks for your help!
#1 - October 12, 2013, 09:20 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
No idea, but just wanted to post to say how lovely your illustrations are! Sometimes I think a black and white illustrated books stands out MORE in the crowded market – THE HOUSE IN THE NIGHT is one. Love that book. Although even there there are areas of yellow, so not totally monochrome.

Anyway, hope you get some good answers!

#2 - October 13, 2013, 08:37 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
It sounds like you might need to calibrate your monitor. I used to do that when I did graphic design and had a mac, but now I paint with traditional media and have a PC, (which I still should calibrate, I just haven't) but I don't know how anymore. You could probably google it.
#3 - October 13, 2013, 09:11 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Artist Obscure
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
The other problem on top of what Artemesia said is that their monitors may not have been calibrated. I use a laptop and I have a monitor beside it. The monitor's colors are very different from what you have on screen. I've not heard of the colors in the file changing when a file is transferred, but I know that JPEGs are kind of iffy as far as file corruption goes. I've not experienced this, but that's what I've heard from other people. The best way to avoid this is with a .TIF file. If you didn't have a print, the good way to compare the colors on your screen to an actual print is to check the file's pantone color with a physical pantone swatch. You do have the print, however, so it would have to be either a problem with the file itself or the monitor. You know how you go into an Electronics store and see like 20 TVs on the wall and the picture is slightly different? Well it's the same thing with monitors. Monitors aren't as bad as TVs, but there is still a difference in color in different monitors. If it was a projected image then you have three things going on to skew the colors. You have what the computer reads, you have what the projector projects and then you have the screen that the item is being projected onto. I hope this post helps a little.
#4 - October 14, 2013, 03:27 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
It could of been there screen and had nothing to do with your artworks
#5 - October 14, 2013, 06:11 AM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Stephen is right. I went to an illustrator workshop and the screen of the facilitator was correct, but when it was transferred through the facilities system for the power point, it changed all the colors. It was very puzzling.

I'm surprised they didn't have you drop the files into a drop box account so you could keep them in a TIF or something high res.
#6 - October 14, 2013, 06:55 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Thanks everyone - it is just one more thing to tuck under my hat to think about in the wonderful world of computers! :bewildered:
#7 - October 14, 2013, 09:09 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
When I was still in college I was given ColorMunki software to calibrate my laptop monitor for printing purposes (it was a free checkout from my college's digital checkout center but I believe the actual software is expensive)-I work almost completely digital and color issues have been a problem as well.
I, along with other illustrators, at the SCBWI MD/WV/DE conference this past September ran into a similar problem when the projector used to show our work didn't show the work with the correct colors either-everything was washed out. It was a projector issue.

#8 - October 15, 2013, 10:38 AM

Members: