SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Character names the same as a book/blog?

Discussion started on

Thought I would post it here, only because I don't know where else to post it.

Cashmere and Cupcakes. Have you heard of that book? It is a non-fiction book about the how to's of entertaining. Only problem is Cashmere and Cupcake are the names of two of my PB MC's. Do you think I have crossed some sort of line here? Not same genre. Not same age group. Not even close to same subject. At first I thought that I absolutely had to change the names of my characters. But they fit. Can't think of anything else that would work nearly as well. Anyone had a similar problem?   :redtape
#1 - October 26, 2013, 01:28 PM
Word-Painting.webs.com
jjmoore4.wixsite.com/thegroup

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Hi Jojocookie, I haven't had this problem and I haven't heard of the NF book but I think how to's and PB's are such a world apart I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Of course, I don't know how BIG the NF book are but I am assuming there are no characters in a how to book. Now if you were using say 'Mickey and Minnie' that would be a whole new ballgame :) In my opinion, I think you are fine. But hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Best of luck with it!
#2 - October 26, 2013, 01:38 PM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I see that it's not just a book. Cupcakes and Cashmere started out as a lifestyle blog and then came the book, which no doubt could get published because she already had the platform. I wasn't able to see how many followers the blog has, but as it's current (2008-present) I'm guessing people who read your book (the parents, teachers, librarians, editors, not the kids) would make the connection. I believe you *can* do this -- it's not like you're lifting the names of licensed characters or anything, but I wonder if you want to. I'd think about it very carefully, and frankly, if it were me, I'd probably want to change the names.

Also, so that this topic gets better attention/discussion, I'm going to move it to Writing and rename it. I hope that's okay with you, jojocookie. :)
#3 - October 26, 2013, 03:44 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

:thanks2 Thank you both for your input. I didn't know it was a blog also. Just saw the book. Truly something to think about.
#4 - October 27, 2013, 04:43 AM
Word-Painting.webs.com
jjmoore4.wixsite.com/thegroup

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Yes, I would agree. I think it's not a problem, but if you are really worried about it, then go ahead and change one of the names.
#5 - October 27, 2013, 04:29 PM
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
You can't copyright a name. The blog may be trademarked, but your characters wouldn't breach that unless the themes were similar too. Try looking up sales of the book. If it's not on any best seller lists, you're probably fine. Your child readers won't be familiar with the blog or book. If it is a bestseller, the book buyers (parents, teachers) may assume your title is related somehow. Lots to think about.
#6 - October 28, 2013, 10:57 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: