SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Dummy Book Questions

Discussion started on

I am an illustrator, but I am learning about writing for children as well. I have been working on this dummy book for several months, and the writing has been the most challenging aspect. Recently, I have found a publisher willing to look at what I have, and I am stumped. Is it better to submit a wordless dummy book with strong sketches, two finished spreads, and a flowing visual story, or is it better to wait until I have become a better writer to submit it all together?
#1 - October 29, 2013, 09:37 PM
Sketchbook:  melmillustration.tumblr.com
Twitter:    @mmarroquin30

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
Submit your best work. If you don't feel your writing is on par with your art, it's likely neither will the publisher. You can submit the dummy with the caveat to consider the art and text separately. I would wait though, until you feel you can send your strongest revision. Publishing is a slow world, but also a small one. Don't shop a manuscript until it's truly ready. Take you time before sending your book baby out into the world. Make sure it is strong enough to stand on its own, just as you would with any child. :)
#2 - October 30, 2013, 06:56 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Thank you for the advice! I will wait and work on my writing skills. After college, I'm just feeling the pressure to get published and be pushing to get my work out there, and I've found a company that I really like and is taking submissions. I guess I just need to slow my roll and take the time to improve where I need to. :-)
#3 - October 30, 2013, 05:30 PM
Sketchbook:  melmillustration.tumblr.com
Twitter:    @mmarroquin30

Members: