SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

PB recommendations for 3 and 4 year olds

Discussion started on

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Our church has a pre-school with a mix of low income and middle income children with the focus being on those who come from low income families.  I want to be able to present each child with a book at some time during the year (not Christmas) for them to take home as their own book.  I would like to have them increase or start their own libraries at home.  There are around 15 children fairly even mix of girls/boys.

I am looking for some suggestions for picture books for three and four year olds, perhaps even five year olds. I know many Blueboarders are pb authors and while I can think of some of the books, I cannot think of all, so sell me your book so I can send it home with a child.  :love5:
#1 - November 01, 2013, 04:38 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Poster Plus
Oh, Liz, I don't have a book to sell you (alas!) , but want to give you a big cyber-hug for your beautiful idea.

:grouphug2:

Those little cherubs are very blessed to have you as their Fairy Godmother Librarian!  (Hmmm....I think I've just talked myself into a story idea.....)

:carrot
#2 - November 01, 2013, 05:19 PM

The perfect book for any kid depends on that kid, that's the problem. But recent favorites with our three year old are Digger Dozer Dumper, Where do Diggers Sleep at Night, Boy+Bot, Kel Gilligan's Daredevil Stunt Show, Moo!, It's a Tiger, and the old stand-by Curious George.
#3 - November 01, 2013, 06:52 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Kids that age seem to like my VAMPIRINA BALLERINA books.  Thanks for asking.
#4 - November 01, 2013, 06:55 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Kurtis, I know it will depend on the child, but I was planning on seeing if I could read some books and seeing what captured their interests or talking with the teachers who work with them every day. I haven't fully developed my plan.  It was something that sort of came to mind suddenly and I wanted some input on books that BBer's had written.  I know some of them, but as soon as I thought of the idea my mind went blank. :)
#5 - November 01, 2013, 08:28 PM

I forget the author's user name but Where do Diggers Sleep at Night is by a Blueboarder.
#6 - November 12, 2013, 07:12 PM

Brianna Caplan Sayres :yup
#7 - November 12, 2013, 07:17 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Oh wow! Just figured out how to log into the new boards, clicked on this thread and spotted my name. Thanks so much for suggesting "Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?"! It is definitely aimed at that age group.  ::-)
#8 - November 12, 2013, 11:07 PM
Intergalactic Afikoman (publisher)
WHERE DO DIGGERS SLEEP AT NIGHT? series (author)

www.intergalacticafikoman.com
www.briannacaplansayres.com

Picture Book Author
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
My book won't be published until next year, but if you still need books then I'd be happy to donate one. In the interim, I recommend "Giraffes Can't Dance." My 3-yr-old granddaughter pulls that one off the shelf at story time.

Blessings and hugs to you.
#9 - November 13, 2013, 06:06 AM
http://desertgirlmedia.com
"There's a Dog on the Dining Room Table", Xist Pub, 2014
"If a Dog Could Wear a Hat", Xist Pub, coming soon

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
New!
Coincidentally, I just read Diggers by Brianna last night at bedtime (to my 8 yr old!)  He never tires of a good construction-vehicle bedtime book! I was going to suggest TOO PURPLEY series with Jean Reidy! Or gosh... anything by her. And Tammi Sauer!!! Prolific authors with lots of choices!

And if I were to suggest something from my own titles, it is NOT Penguin! I bet you'd have guessed I'd pick Penguin! I love him,... but there's a title I think your kids would appreciate even more:

Count My Blessings, One Through Ten

The hardcover is out of print, but not sure about the board book version. When Shanny bought a copy of Penguin for each and every one of her kinder students, I sent her autographed bookplates to make them extra special. I could offer the same to you if you're interested, Liz. But so many great choices from authors on this board!
#10 - November 13, 2013, 07:26 AM
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:28 PM by SYoon »

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Thanks Everyone, keep them coming. I think there are 15 kids. I need to double check on that and I want to slowly buy the books buy April...
#11 - November 13, 2013, 09:19 AM

Members: