SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Submitting to Boyds Mills & Highlights

Discussion started on

Hullo Again!

I was just wondering if it is allowed to submit a rejected Highlights story to Boyds Mills, or vice versa?

Thanks ahead!
#1 - November 04, 2013, 08:20 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I think they look at everything for both, but I'm not sure why I think so. If they have editors in common, it would stand to reason though. Check the Boyds Mill guidelines and crosscheck the editorial staffs.
#2 - November 04, 2013, 11:07 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Thanks for your responses! 

I just received two rejections from Highlights, but with nice comments.  I may tweak the stories and take the chance in sending them to Boyd's Mills.  Can't hurt, I guess.   ;D
#3 - November 13, 2013, 05:33 AM

Dionna

Before resubmitting, you may consider that their submission guidelines state: "All submissions will be evaluated for all imprints." Also, the editors there---some of the few that still take the time to offer suggestions for improvements to our mss---have dual roles, like Carolyn Yoder who is both a senior editor w/ Highlights Magazine and the Calkins Creek imprint.

Besides, do you think it's a good idea to resubmit to the same house with only minor "tweaks", without really applying the revision suggestions that the editor at that house gave you? Or wouldn't it be a better idea to totally revise your ms as per the suggestions you received, and then to resubmit to the editor that took his or her time to offer you the personal rejection?

After all, in this NO REPLY MEANS NO INTEREST climate of publishing, where SASEs are a thing of the past, it's pretty cool when someone takes the time to given us a personal rejection with comments to improve our mss! Why not seize the day?!

#4 - November 13, 2013, 09:09 AM

Thanks for your response; however, they didn't offer me revision suggestions.  They just remarked that it was a nice story but was unneeded for the magazine at the time, which is why I thought I'd give the book publisher a shot.  ::-)
#5 - November 13, 2013, 11:32 AM

Members: