SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

mutiple POV synopsis

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I haven't found this in the forum, and perhaps this isn't the right spot for this question, but here goes: if I have a story that's told from three different perspectives, how do I write a synopsis for it? Do I focus on the main MC (there's one character--the hero--who gets more page time than the other two) and write the entire synop from his perspective? Or do I provide snippets of what's happening with all of the characters? If it helps any, their stories become increasingly enmeshed as the novel progresses.
#1 - November 12, 2013, 12:33 PM
Bringing the wonders of nature to kids of all ages.
http://apstevens.com/

Member.
Poster Plus
The synopsis for the ms I am querying is written with multiple perspectives, but I'm not sure that is correct. (PM me if you'd like to see the synopsis.) My WIP also has multiple MCs, so I'm very glad you asked the question!

#2 - November 12, 2013, 12:49 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I can tell you what I did. My book is in three POVs, but I wrote the synopsis about the *main* MC, the one with the most page time, and stuck to her storyline. I drew the other two in as they relate to the high points of that main plot, but did not touch on their character arcs. The way the synopsis reads, the book *could* be in just one POV. But then in the query letter, after giving my spiel about the story, I said something like, "Written in three POVs, TITLE is a AGE GROUP GENRE complete at xx,000 words."

The happy ending is that these materials got me my agent. :)
#3 - November 12, 2013, 01:54 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks mrh! That certainly seems like the easiest thing to do--less jumpy for the reader. I'll give it a go and see how it reads. RaeE, I'll be in touch if a single perspective doesn't seem to do the trick.  :thankyou
#4 - November 12, 2013, 07:35 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I'd give a brief synopsis of the main storyline, and add in that it's told from three POVs. I had a dual POV that was a little easier to do that with--I gave a brief sentence or two about one character's hopes and challenges, another sentence or two about the other one, and then spent the rest of the time on the main plot. But I think that's a little harder to do with three...which is why I'd focus on your main story throughline.
#5 - November 13, 2013, 05:20 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks, olmue--great suggestion!
#6 - November 13, 2013, 07:32 PM

Members: