SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Diving Back In!

Discussion started on

It's been ages since I've posted on here, but today was a good writing day so I wanted to share it.  I've been working on the same WIP for the last year and a half, :banghead and I've finally made the decision to become more dedicated to it.  :oncomputer  Who knows, I may even join the Early Risers group.  :beating  I own a business, and that eats up a lot of time, not to mention family and home responsibilities, so I really need to be organized about this. Today, I played hookie from work to stay home and write. I wrote over 2,000 words, got over the 100 page hump, and am 200 words away from 25,000.  So, all in all it was a very productive day. I just wish I could do that everyday! I used to write at night, but I get so tired these days that I don't have the endurance for that, so I'm thinking the early method is the way to go. I'm going to need MASS quantities of  :coffee3: for these early mornings. Yikes!
#1 - November 06, 2013, 10:13 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Yay, Tara! That feels so good, doesn't it? (And I totally feel for you on the changing schedule. It seems like whenever you find a good time to work in, something changes and you have to adjust all over again. But--you can do it!)
#2 - November 07, 2013, 04:39 AM

Reader, Writer, Teacher, Wife & Mother
Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Tara, it's good to see you here! And yay on all the writing. I hope this spurt lasts a long time.
Vijaya
#3 - November 07, 2013, 06:55 AM
TONGUE-TIED (Heinemann, 2019) BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018) TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015) & 100+ bks/mags
https://vijayabodach.blogspot.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Tara, that's wonderful. Wishing you many productive days!

One tip: I've found it helpful to measure progress by weeks, not days. That way, if one DAY goes down the drain, you don't have to beat up on yourself. Just make the adjustments for the rest of the week to arrive at a pretty good semblance of balance. :)
#4 - November 07, 2013, 06:58 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Tara! Welcome back--I've wondered from time to time where you were in all of your different journeys.
#5 - November 07, 2013, 07:21 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Hooray, Tara. So happy you took the plunge!
#6 - November 07, 2013, 08:03 AM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
yay Tara! Yes, yes, come to the Early Risers thread! We have lots of  :coffee3: :coffee3: :coffee3: there.
#7 - November 07, 2013, 08:50 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
:yay Tara! :)
#8 - November 07, 2013, 11:07 AM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Thank you everyone for your support and tips, I really appreciate it! I miss getting on here more often. I almost feel like a newbie because it's been a while. Oh well, I'm going to try and be more of a participant now.

Olmue, you are soooo right about the schedule thing, and I am not a morning person, so we will see how it goes.

Vijaya! I missed seeing you at the last conference, I hope you are doing good down in the south.  :goldstar

JFriday, I will try it. I think tomorrow will be the first day. Bring on the coffee!!

AnneB, thank you! It's been long enough, and I need to get this first draft written already! :oncomputer

mrh, thanks for the tips, I like looking at it that way better. I'm giving myself a goal of 2,000 a week, that way I can try to make up for any days I might "accidentally" sleep in.  :grin3

Larissa, HI!  How is your writing going? It's been ages!
#9 - November 07, 2013, 12:11 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
 :chickendance HI TARA!!
#10 - November 07, 2013, 03:52 PM
A RAMBLER STEALS HOME, HMH 2016
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR A TREEHOUSE; THIS IS NOT A VALENTINE, Chronicle 2017
designofthepicturebook.com
@carterhiggins

:shootingstar Yay on the great writing day! I don't know if this helps...but it helps me to set really small goals like write 500 (or 250) words or for 15 minutes or whatever. I often end up writing more than that once I get started, but it helps me not feel defeated. I also often write at night too, and so even if I'm tired, I can still manage to write a page or so. It's amazing how even small bits of writing add up over time!
  :goodluck
#11 - November 07, 2013, 07:16 PM
twitter.com/enzor_jenni
jennienzor.blogspot.com

Hi Carter!  I LOVED your Halloween costume, so stinking cute! Did the kids get who you were? When I was doing my practicum wayyyyyyy back when, I did a whole theme on Viola Swamp a.k.a. Miss Nelson. Fun!

Thanks Austen, I do find it easier to set small goals, and will probably find out that I will have to do that more often in the beginning. I'm just hoping I can get my can out of bed early enough in the morning. With the weather changing,  :autumn  it has really made it easier for me to want to write, so I'm also banking on that.
#12 - November 07, 2013, 07:23 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
 :yay  Little bits at a time, girl!
Imma call you tomorrow morning around 5ish to make sure you're at your laptop  :)
#13 - November 07, 2013, 10:06 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Tara! Welcome back! Love your new pic!
#14 - November 08, 2013, 01:38 PM

Thanks sissy! I got up today all on my own! I'm so proud of myself for doing it.

Jude, thanks! I had to change it up a bit. I've had the same avatar since I started and since I'm starting anew, I needed a new pic too!
#15 - November 08, 2013, 10:40 PM

Members: