SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Should I Submit 2 Revisions?

Discussion started on

Help, Guys!

Highlights sent me a letter asking that I tweak the ending to my poem for a better flow.  Upon making changes, I have two revisions I have written.  Would it be unprofessional if I were to offer two separate revisions to the editor, or should I just choose one revision and send it?

What have you done in the past?

Thanks!
#1 - November 13, 2013, 07:07 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Hi poodlesnoodles--

I've had revision requests on stories from HL before, so I know how nerve-wracking that can be: "What if I don't send them the "right" revision and they reject the story?! It'd be terrible to get so close and then lose the sale!"

If I were in your place, I'd ask a critique group or other trusted writing friend which ending they think is stronger and then send that one. (If you don't already have a gut feeling about that yourself.) I'd be worried that I'd come across as indecisive or amateurish if I sent two. That's just my non-expert opinion, though. I'd be curious to see what someone else says.

Good luck with it, and congratulations on getting a revision request! Here's hoping it ends in a sale!
#2 - November 16, 2013, 05:26 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I was in this situation with one of the first poems I had accepted by High Five. They wanted me to revise to address a near-rhyme in the second stanza (it was 8 lines). As I was revising, I thought of a third stanza that I felt added a lot to the poem. But I didn't know what to do because they had already liked it at 8 lines. I didn't have a critique group at the time. I ended up sending the two versions. Then I got an acceptance - but they didn't mention which version they accepted! And it still hasn't been printed, so I still don't know.

If this happened to me now, I would consult some writing friends, as Sara says, and send only one version. But I thought I'd share my story so you know it will probably work out no matter what. :-)

Good luck! Fingers crossed for you, poodles.
#3 - November 16, 2013, 05:54 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (July, 2020)
DON'T HUG DOUG (Spring, 2021)

Poodles, if you decide to send both and one is accepted, it's acceptable to ask which version they are selecting for publication.
#4 - November 16, 2013, 11:49 PM

Thanks so much for your advice, guys!  It really helped and cleared up some confusion for me.   :grouphug2:
#5 - November 17, 2013, 01:29 PM

Members: