SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Picture books for 3 to 5 year olds

Discussion started on

I'd like titles of books that are specifically targeting 3 to 5 year olds, though up to 6 is fine.

I don't mean books that a 3 year old would like, even though the book is for an older audience. I mean books that are specifically published with 3 to 5 years in mind.
#1 - November 23, 2013, 02:27 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I'm sure lots of people will chime in with recommendations, but have you tried the advanced search on Amazon? Then you could limit your search to a specific age and even a publisher, which might be even more helpful to you. Although looking at it, they define it by baby-3, and 4-8 years old. So maybe that's not so useful?

Actually, I did a quick search on 'picture books 3-5 years' and came up with this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/b?node=2578999011

Might be helpful to you! Good luck!
#2 - November 23, 2013, 02:44 PM

Excellent, thank you Franzilla.  :hug
#3 - November 23, 2013, 03:55 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Everything by Eric Carle, Denise Fleming, Brian Barton, Donald Crews, and Lois Ehlert. (Okay, so I may be exaggerating when I say everything, but it will be close to everything.) There are many more authors who specialize in this age group. The librarian is your best friend for searches like this.
#4 - November 25, 2013, 11:59 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Lois Lenski, Leo Leoni are two of my favorites. Kevin Henkes too. Plus the ones already mentioned - especially Eric Carle.

So many choices!

#5 - November 25, 2013, 03:04 PM

Thanks, everyone. It seems that those books are from author/illustrators. I heard from a published friend that her editor said picture books are going to trend towards 3-5, as opposed to 5-9, so I was curious about the makeup of those books. Of course, that's one editors opinion from a division of a Big Five, and others may feel differently. Just sharing what I heard.
#6 - December 02, 2013, 09:10 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Ezra Jack Keats books come to mind. A Snowy Day, Whistle for Willie. Recent book, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! and Are You Ready to Play Outside by Mo Willems.  Books well under 1,000 words.
#7 - December 06, 2013, 02:56 PM
THE KING CAKE BABY (Pelican Pub. Co. Jan 2015)
www.keiladawson.com

Thanks, Keila!  :fireworks
#8 - December 09, 2013, 06:55 PM

I have to be honest, as a bookseller, I consider 3-5 the prime PB age for almost any picture book. Most parents are now seeking to get their 5-9 year olds reading and easy reader/chapter books are what you see them buy for their 5-9 year olds the most.

Popular books include Lady Bug Girl, Olivia, Llama Llama, Fancy Nancy, etc., which really are prime for 3-5. Lesser known, personal favorites include "Wink, the Ninja Who Wanted to Be Noticed", "Tea Rex", "Dangerously Ever After", "The Princess and the Bag of Frozen Peas", and Mark Teague's latest Three Little Pigs retelling (the wolf just has low blood sugar...) Among soooo many others--there really are a lot of great picture books out there.
#9 - December 10, 2013, 09:24 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Lets not forget Monster Needs A Costume. Oh are we not self promoting...sorry. :pickme
#10 - December 10, 2013, 12:23 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I have two children in that age group to buy for this year. I know most of the classics (and these kids have them plus books written by several people on this board), but what about books currently out this year? Any recommendations? I admit I haven't kept up.
#11 - December 10, 2013, 02:59 PM
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:01 PM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I agree with HD; as a librarian when patrons ask for the books for 3-5 year olds, I point them to the picture books. 6-9, I go for easy readers and early chapter books, etc.

Ellen, some picture books I've loved this year are MR. TIGER GOES WILD, FLORA & THE FLAMINGO, THE DAY THE CRAYONS QUIT, XANDER'S PANDA PARTY, and MOUSTACHE BABY.
#12 - December 10, 2013, 05:49 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Thanks, Deena!
#13 - December 10, 2013, 09:47 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
The Obstinate Pen --  Frank Dormer  (my just 5 yr. old grandson loves this one)

Sophie's Squash --Pat Zietlow Miller

The Day Martha Saved Her Parents from Green Beans --David LaRochelle

#14 - December 11, 2013, 10:47 AM
www.andriawarmflashrosenbaum.com
Twitter: @andriawrose
Trains Don't Sleep, HMH 2017
Big Sister, Little Monster, Scholastic Press, 2017

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Two of my favorites are

The Dark by Lemony Snicket

Stuck by Oliver Jeffers
#15 - December 11, 2013, 01:26 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Ooooh, lots of authors: Rosemary Wells, Eric Carle, Eve Bunting, Kevin Henkes, Lola Schaffer, and some of our own members: Betsy(Ellen), KatyD, Anne Marie, SYoon (Salina), and many more. Even though my children are teenagers, we still can't give away some of our PBs.

Vijaya

#16 - December 11, 2013, 06:16 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Check out some of Neil Gaiman's picture books.
#17 - January 03, 2014, 04:25 PM

Members: