SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Elementary school emergency health form

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
I'm trying to come up with the name for an emergency treatment plan form that would be on file with an elementary school (with crisis information for students who have asthma or severe allergies, for instance). My son has an asthma treatment plan on file with his school for his v. mild asthma, but I assume there is something more formal on file for children who have severe conditions. Does anyone know what that form might be called?

:thankyou
#1 - November 25, 2013, 08:08 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I'm not finding a special form on my local district's website.

The forms for administering medication in school are there. For stuff like asthma, the school would have that form, a copy of the prescription and the medication in the original container. The nurse has an epi pen with the same forms for those kids with severe allergies. A nurse brings the medication on any field trips unless a parent is attending.

I imagine that nurses may receive special training for kids with less common issues and periodic refreshers for emergencies like seizures. I'm also certain they train the teachers wherever it might be needed.

I hope this helps.
#2 - November 25, 2013, 11:39 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
My daughter has peanut allergies, so we filled out an Food Allergy Action Plan at our local school, which is on file with the school nurse. We also have the Epi-Pen Emergency Health Care Plan form. There also is an Asthma Action Plan form. There also are prescription medication forms that have to be filled out by the doctor for kids with any sort of prescription drug needs. Lots of paperwork!

Hope this helps!
#3 - November 25, 2013, 11:47 AM
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 11:49 AM by writerhoo »

Member.
Poster Plus
Thanks so much, Debbie and writerhoo! I didn't find anything for my school district, either.

And yes to the paperwork. We have a file cabinet filled for our family (house, insurance, etc etc etc), and another for one of my children. So much paperwork. (Yet none of it helps with my ms!)

I really appreciate the help!
#4 - November 25, 2013, 11:56 AM

Ours are called (NAME OF HEALTH ISSUE) ACTION PLAN. For example; Diabetes Action Plan, Seizure Action Plan, Asthma/Allergy Action Plan, etc.
#5 - November 25, 2013, 01:25 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Perfect. Thank you, Christine!
#6 - November 25, 2013, 01:33 PM

My son has hydrocephalus. He has a "Health Management Plan" here.
#7 - November 25, 2013, 06:51 PM
twitter.com/enzor_jenni
jennienzor.blogspot.com

My school just calls it a health plan.
#8 - November 25, 2013, 07:50 PM

I don't know if you still need any more information on this, but I'm an elementary school nurse in Texas. Depending on the area of the country, the form you're talking about could be called multiple things. Official documents for a kid who is covered under say, 504, would be IHP, or individualized health plans. Otherwise, for kids with life threatening conditions like a food allergy, it's just emergency action plan, I believe. I'm not at work today, so I don't have access to those files. But if you still have any questions or need any answers in the future, I'd be more than happy to help.

Melissa
#10 - January 12, 2014, 06:49 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Our district's health plan is called the "Health Care Emergency Plan."
#11 - January 12, 2014, 09:58 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Deb and Melissa, thanks so much! The character in my story has a life-threatening food allergy, so Emergency Action Plan should be perfect. It all happens in the background so I don't think I'll need more detailed information in the story, but I will be in touch if I do. Thank you for your kind offer, Melissa!
#12 - January 12, 2014, 10:01 AM

Members: