SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Nanowrimo 2013! (And other November writers)

Discussion started on

Oops! I meant 32,510! I guess my witch's nose really went to town!

alicekaltman.com
@AliceKaltman
alicekaltman.tumblr.com
#61 - November 27, 2013, 02:05 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I've never officially done a NaNo before, though I've always enjoyed the November energy that NaNo generates. But since I'm not teaching this semester, I thought this might be the one chance for me to give it a go! Happy to report I'm at 47,338 on the new novel (and 13,000 on my Dusty Academic Tome, on a different account).

I may just get there!

:)
#62 - November 27, 2013, 03:12 PM
THE CABINET OF EARTHS -- HarperCollins, 2012
A BOX OF GARGOYLES -- HC, 2013
THE WRINKLED CROWN -- HC, 2015
www.annenesbet.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Wow Anne and Alice! That is just awesome. You guys are rocking it!
#63 - November 28, 2013, 06:28 AM
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Wow, Anne! Yay everyone!

I broke 40K but I don't think I'll be able to finish. Still. It was my best Nano attempt yet, so I'm good. :)
#64 - November 28, 2013, 07:16 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm going to make it- hit 47K last night.  But I realized this morning that the REAL story is just starting.  I think I just wrote 50K of backstory... 

#65 - November 28, 2013, 12:54 PM
SILVER (Flux)
GOLD (Flux)
SPIES AND PREJUDICE (Egmont USA)

http://www.YAMuses.blogspot.com

Hiya. A friend sent me a poem today which really encouraged me in my NaNoWriMo attempt:

http://voiceinthedesert.org.uk/weblog/2013/11/28/nanowrimo-day-28-inspiration-from-ts-eliot/

Bon courage, everyone!
#66 - November 28, 2013, 01:07 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
I have loved my first NaNo, even though I've only just past 30,000 and have realized that I'm not going to make it, I have a pretty usable beginning plot-wise (drivel but in a decent plot structure with pretty interesting characters, if only some of them had names other than NAME HERE :)). I have learned that writing every day, even if I only have 10 minutes, is well worth the effort and that it makes going in and out of my world so much easier and it really keeps the story flowing well. So impressed with you all who are going to make it! Hat's off to you!@ :guitar:  You rock!
#67 - November 28, 2013, 05:34 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I didn't reach my NaNo goal. I only wrote 33k but I'll still keep going all the month of December. Here's a video I made of my month! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ_GK3_Vex0
#68 - December 04, 2013, 04:08 AM
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Adorable Video Christy! I love your road trip lap top writing. And your 'writing partners'.  :gogirl
I came in just under 40K, but have a start, middle and end mapped out. Nano was a good kick in the butt. Glad I did it!

alicekaltman.com
@AliceKaltman
#69 - December 04, 2013, 10:03 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I gave up halfway through. But I learned a lot by forcing myself to write that fast. One -- it doesn't work for me. I went off on tangents every day. I'm a panster, and I'm used to tangents, but I usually can sense if a tangent is worth pursuing. If not - delete and go elsewhere. I found I took the write fast part of Nano too seriously. I wrote and didn't think about where I was going. The finish 50,000 words in one month isn't worth it, if most of the words suck.

But the good part is I do now believe that fast drafting a first draft is the way to go. Just not that fast. I like to think as I write. So when I get back to tackling my Nano project (I still like the idea, found out a bit about my characters, and love my opening sequence) I plan to finish a first draft in three months.
#70 - December 05, 2013, 09:18 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Alice- thanks! I think sometimes we feel like failures as writers because we cant' make the word count or get that book contract, but the reality is just writing and producing something makes us all winners.

Jude- good luck as you continue on! I'll be slowly inching forward too. We sound like we're on the same track and hitting the same pace!
#71 - December 07, 2013, 07:56 AM
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Members: