SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Writing Sample for Cobblestone Magazines

Discussion started on

I have a question about submitting to one of the history magazines with the Cricket group. I've gotten an assignment from one of them before, although it was a few years ago. I'd like to send a query for the same magazine for an upcoming topic, and I'm wondering about including a writing sample. Do I include a copy of the article I wrote for them? Or do I just say in my letter that I was published in such and such issue/date?
 :thankyou
#1 - December 13, 2013, 09:18 AM
twitter.com/enzor_jenni
jennienzor.blogspot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Austen, if you've already written for them, just let them know in your query (and they'll remember). I doubt they'd require a new sample.
Good luck,
Vijaya
#2 - December 13, 2013, 09:48 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Oh, thank, Vijaya!
It's been awhile since I wrote for them, so I didn't know if I needed to follow the guidelines on the web.
#3 - December 13, 2013, 07:18 PM
twitter.com/enzor_jenni
jennienzor.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hi Jenni,

I have written for ASK, ODYSSEY, and AppleSeeds. With each one, I sent a sample the first time I wrote for that particular magazine. I'm not sure how much (or how little) the editors talk amongst themselves and compare notes.

The sample I chose was one of the articles that was accepted by a sister Carus publication. And I did state that I had previously written X article for X issue in my cover letter.

Hope that helps!

Kirsten
#4 - December 14, 2013, 07:24 AM
Kirsten W. Larson
--
WOOD, WIRE, WINGS (Calkins Creek, 2020)
CECILIA PAYNE: MAKING OF A STAR (SCIENTIST) (Chronicle, 2021)

kirsten-w-larson.com

Picture Book and Nonfiction Writer
Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wpa
Hi Jenni,

I was in this exact position with ODYSSEY recently. I had written one article for them more than 2 years ago for the previous editor. I did not send a sample with my query but simply mentioned the previous article by title and date. That was obviously fine, because my query was accepted.

Best wishes!

Rebecca
#5 - December 14, 2013, 05:38 PM
WHEN PLANTS ATTACK
THE MONARCHS ARE MISSING: A BUTTERFLY MYSTERY
PLANTS CAN'T SIT STILL
and more science and nature books for kids

Thanks for responding Rebecca and kw!
I think I'm just going to mention the previous article in my letter, since it's the same magazine and editor.
I'll let you know how it goes!
#6 - December 16, 2013, 09:08 PM
twitter.com/enzor_jenni
jennienzor.blogspot.com

Members: