SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Illustrator Scam-don't reply to this type of email

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi everyone,

I just wanted the Illustrators on this board to know about a scam I came across today in my inbox.

At first I read the email and it seemed kind of nice...but then I researched the email address and saw that this same type of email was being sent to many other artists, especially on deviantART it seems.

a description of the email: an email that is not personally addressed stating that a publishing house in Paris, France is seeking illustrators to help illustrate a variety of education products for children "under the age of 9 years old". There is no specificity as to the actual publishing house (if one even exists) and the email states that if interested you should send a reply email. I have done some research on the email and it sounds like some artists that have received this email or something similar have sometimes been sent attachments or links to click on as well.
If you see a similar email to this in your inbox don't send anything back or open any attachments. If it looks suspicious it probably is.  :yuk:
#1 - December 19, 2013, 08:37 AM
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:11 PM by amandaerbillust »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
I got this e-mail too and was suspicious. :) Thanks for the heads up!
#2 - December 19, 2013, 09:09 AM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
I get these types of emails at least once a week. Sometimes for illustration gigs but mostly to enter "art competitions" or "book awards." Nearly always with a hefty fee attached.

It's gotten to the point that when I get a legitimate email I have to do a double-take to make sure it's for real. >:(
#3 - December 19, 2013, 05:02 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
yeah, Wendy...that is frustrating.  :smokhead:
I've come to find that legitimate emails will actually be addressed to you personally and won't just be like, "Hi, *obvious scam wording*". And if it sounds too good to be true, I've found it most likely is.  :-\
#4 - December 20, 2013, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the advice:) I receive these kind of e-mails often so usually I do what you did :)
#5 - December 20, 2013, 11:05 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
  • SCBWI PAL
I also received that email and immediately deleted it. Definitely a scam.
#6 - December 30, 2013, 09:45 PM

I too received this email and was leery right away. The funny thing is on the stat finder for my website there has been numerous hits from France every couple of days. They don't spend any time on the site though.  :werd
#7 - January 01, 2014, 09:50 AM

Writer/Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I also received the email from Dar el Athariya. I emailed back asking for more information and they replied saying they are Athariya-Jeunesse editions. They included prices they pay for level A, B, & C illustrations, which is quite low. They also stated that they will pay 50% up front via Paypal since there will be no contracts, and that half of their profits go to charity houses for orphan kids. They included a sample of their illustration style which is a simple digital style where the faces have no eyes and noses. I searched Google with their name and found they have a website and FB page. They seem legit and perhaps their emails seem stilted and scam-like because they are translating from French to English. It's hard to find out too much more since everything on their sites is in French. So, I'm still mulling it all over.

So, that's my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.

Traci
#8 - January 02, 2014, 12:55 PM
The Mermaid's Gift, Pelican, 2015
Cody and Grandpa's Christmas Tradition, Pelican 2016
Rest in Peace RaShawn, Creative Medicine, 2017

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Traci, good that you found out more about this, I just deleted mine. But a company without a contract, for their own good as well as the creatives? that's a big no.  All that would lead me to worry that the 50% advance of a low price would be all one sees.
#9 - January 07, 2014, 04:30 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

sarah.wells707560707561

I also got an email from them. I googled them and did find a website; it's in French and my second language is Spanish, but from what I could piece together, they appear to be an Islamic house specializing in religious materials.

I replied to their original message asking for further information, and they told me the same thing they told Traci @ITD, complete with a no-eyes no-noses child illustration example. They didn't answer all of my questions, including what the subject of the books were to be, and where they found my information. They also asked to see my portfolio, and although I sent them a link, I found the request strange since they had already given me what appeared to be an offer of employment.

This was at Christmas, and although I replied to their second email with a reinstatement of my questions and a more reasonable price quote (they asked for my prices in the last line of the email) I haven't heard back from them since.
#10 - January 16, 2014, 02:30 PM

Members: