SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

ALA 2014 award winners

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Any guesses? Recommendations? I'm really trying to read some of the most likely candidates before the winners are announced.

Caldecott? Newbery? Printz?
#1 - December 19, 2013, 11:35 AM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
In my hearing, Caldecott buzz is leaning towards Aaron Becker's JOURNEY, though I'm sure there are many others being buzzed about as well.
#2 - December 19, 2013, 11:41 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

My guesses for either medals or honors:

CALDECOTT: "Building Our House" by Jonathan Bean

NEWBERY: "True Blue Scouts of Sugarman Swamp" by Kathi Appelt

PRINTZ: "Black Helicopters" by Blythe Woolston
#3 - December 19, 2013, 03:15 PM
Youth Services librarian and YA writer. Wisconsin SW (Madison area) Rep.
@amandacoppedge on Twitter

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Thanks Anne Marie and Amanda. I looked at both pbs and ordered them both from the library.

I've read THE TRUE BLUE...etc. I thought it was really clever, but maybe not as good as THE UNDERNEATH. But I'd be happy if Appelt won.

Any rumors about any other possibilities? Usually by this time in the year we've got a thread or two going on this topic her on the BBs. But there doesn't seem to be much interest.

#4 - December 19, 2013, 08:13 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
David Wisener might do the Caldecott again with MR. WUFFLES! It was hilarious and so much story told only through illustrations. Same with FLORA & FLAMINGO by Molly Idle.

I would like to see THE VINE BASKET by Josanne LaValley get a nod with Newbery.

Printz! I read so many amazing YAs this year it is hard to choose! I agree with Amanda that BLACK HELICOPTERS could definitely get a prize. And I loved ROSE UNDER FIRE by Elizabeth Wein even more than CODE NAME VERITY. I also loved Gene Leun Yang's BOXERS & SAINTS graphic novels, REALITY BOY by A. S. King, ALL THE TRUTH THAT'S IN ME by Julie Berry, and I think INTO THAT FOREST by Louis Nowra has Printz written all over it.

#5 - December 20, 2013, 04:50 AM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

For Caldecott, my guess is MR. TIGER GOES WILD by Peter Brown.
#6 - December 20, 2013, 05:16 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I love Mr. Tiger Goes Wild for the Caldecott, but I think Mr. Wuffles or Journey will win.
#7 - December 20, 2013, 05:37 AM
www.andriawarmflashrosenbaum.com
Twitter: @andriawrose
Trains Don't Sleep, HMH 2017
Big Sister, Little Monster, Scholastic Press, 2017

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Has anyone read Doll Bones? That's being mentioned in some places. Also, what about Flora and Ulysses? Has KDC been honored too much, do you think? I'm hearing mixed things.
#8 - December 20, 2013, 10:09 AM
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:08 AM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I read it, Betsy. I really liked it--sometimes you get those "growing up" magical realism books where at the end, the magic all goes away. This had them growing up, but at the same time, keeping wonder in the world.

Newbery: DOLL BONES, COUNTING BY 7S

For the Printz, ROSE UNDER FIRE, ALL THE TRUTH THAT'S IN ME, maybe FAR, FAR AWAY

I haven't read enough of the picture books from this year to make a good guess there.
#9 - December 20, 2013, 11:51 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arkansas
I just picked DOLL BONES up at the library. Stay tuned, Ellen!

For the Caldecott, I'm hearing a lot about MR. WUFFLES, too. It's not my very favorite, but it's defintely cute and unique. I've also heard a lot about  TIGER GOES WILD and JOURNEY, but I haven't seen those yet. For a "quieter" book, I like IF YOU WANT TO SEE A WHALE. I do love FLORA AND THE FLAMINGO, too.

I also like FLORA AND ULYSSES. I have a fondness for Kate's voice.
#10 - December 20, 2013, 11:56 AM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Your recommendation means a lot, Olmue. And Katy, I'll be interested in your take too.

Most of the year I read adult books. But I start playing catch up to juvenile this time each year. (Honestly, I sometimes wonder why I bother with the adult books--I always end up liking the YA and MG books better.)
#11 - December 20, 2013, 01:10 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arkansas
Ha! You sound like me, Ellen! I've read several adult books lately and I've been thinking the same thing. :-)
#12 - December 20, 2013, 04:10 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I read BLACK HELICOPTERS. Not sure what I think. It's extremely well-conceived and well-written, to say nothing of well-edited. It gave me compassion for someone I ordinarily wouldn't like. Any book that does all that is a good book.

BUT...

Don't read this if you're even a little depressed about the state of the world. I don't know. Guess I prefer books that give me hope for mankind.
#13 - December 29, 2013, 11:59 AM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Ellen, I agree that BLACK HELICOPTERS is as dark as its name, premise, and cover.

Oh yeah, MR. TIGER GOES WILD is fantastic as well! I would love it to get a Caldecott nod.

I read DOLL BONES and thought it was great with a creepy cool aspect, but it doesn't feel Newbery to me.

My coworker said COUNTING BY 7S is her favorite MG of the year, so I have to agree with her on the Newbery nod too....

Didn't read FLORA AND ULYSSES, though I have two thoughts on the "same authors" getting ALA nods "every year": 1. I wish some other authors would be recognized, but 2. I understand that some authors just Write Literary more than Commercial, and therefore get more notice from the award committees. So, yeah, KDC could win again, as could Wisner, and Peter Brown, and, and, and....

I also have been much more impressed with the level of writing of YA/MG novels this year than adult. The last adult novel I set down after 60 (generous) pages was a bestseller debut, first of a projected series, sold in like 20 languages already, etc....and the writing was just meh. Probably also because I read it alongside Kathy Erskine's SEEING RED which was just amazing writing even though the story is "quieter" than the bestselling adult novel.
#14 - December 29, 2013, 06:40 PM
www.deenalipomi.com

Children's Book Editor
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
You all have mentioned a lot of the books I would have. My strongest feeling is that Boxers and Saints deserves to win something... No strong feelings about the Newbery and Caldecott--though I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Jerry Pinkney's The Tortoise and the Hare, which is a gorgeous and funny and detailed take on the fable.

For the Sibert, I liked Tanya Lee Stone's Courage Has No Color. Any other NF favorites?
#15 - December 29, 2013, 06:47 PM
Harold Underdown

The Purple Crayon, a children's book editor's site: http://www.underdown.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HUnderdown

Children's Book Editor
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Ellen, thanks for starting this thread!
#16 - December 29, 2013, 06:49 PM
Harold Underdown

The Purple Crayon, a children's book editor's site: http://www.underdown.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HUnderdown

though I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Jerry Pinkney's The Tortoise and the Hare, which is a gorgeous and funny and detailed take on the fable.

Harold, that's a great pick, too. Beautiful.
#17 - December 29, 2013, 06:51 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
So many good choices this year, for either award. Can't wait to see who the lucky author and illustrator will be!
#18 - December 29, 2013, 07:10 PM
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Harold, for NF this year I really enjoyed THE NAZI HUNTERS by Neal Bascomb and IMPRISONED: THE BETRAYAL OF THE JAPANESE AMERICANS DURING WORLD WAR II by Martin W. Sandler. The former will appeal to fans of BOMB and ARGO, and the latter to fans of Jim Murphy's work.

I haven't got ahold of TORTOISE AND HARE yet! Must do!
#19 - December 29, 2013, 07:40 PM
www.deenalipomi.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arkansas
Bumping this thread. The awards draw near! Any last minute predictions?

I finished DOLL BONES and I can certainly see why it might be in the mix, but I'm about 100 pages into COUNTING BY SEVENS, and if it stays this strong, I'd have to give it the nod.
#20 - January 19, 2014, 03:35 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arkansas
Oh, and I also need to give a shout out to Cynthia Kadohata's THE THING ABOUT LUCK. Lots to love in that one, too!
#21 - January 19, 2014, 03:41 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I just finished COUNTING BY SEVENS and loved it. If it's not a contender--it should be.

My only reservation is that things happen just a tad too easily. There are just a few too many amazing strokes of good luck where obstacles fall like dominoes, especially in the second half. Willow is just a little too gifted to be believable. But it's funny and touching and the characters are certainly original.

I really, really liked it in spite of its few flaws.
#22 - January 21, 2014, 08:29 AM
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:44 AM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
For Newbery, I've heard:

THE YEAR OF BILLY MILLER, by Kevin Henkes
DOLL BONES -- Holly Black
HOKEY POKEY -- Jerry Spinelli
COUNTING BY 7s -- Holly Goldberg Sloan
THE WATER CASTLE -- Megan Frazer Blakemore

Last year, I read so many of the contenders during the year. This year, I'm really playing catch-up. I now have DB and HP (ha, not Harry Potter in this instance) on my TBR pile, and I'm about to get Billy M and Counting as well. I read TWC this past summer, and wanted to love it, but it fell apart for me.

I couldn't get into TRUE BLUE... although I thought The Underneath was so fabulous. I tried twice to read THE THING ABOUT LUCK, but could not get past the fact that she stops the story cold to go on about threshing for, like, 2-3 pages. 

Count me also as one who just read an adult bestseller and totally could not believe the awkward writing.
#23 - January 21, 2014, 08:42 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Mike Jung

I will weep in sad and grotesque fashion if Rainbow Rowell doesn't get a nod of some kind for ELEANOR & PARK.
#24 - January 21, 2014, 09:15 AM

Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Ack! I haven't read COUNTING BY 7S yet!

ELEANOR & PARK was very cool. Is it Printzy? Not sure. I loved FANGIRL even more, but am not sure it fits into an award category.

What about any thoughts for the Alex Awards? I haven't read many Adult Books Teens May Love. I tried to read BONE SEASON and couldn't get into it, but obviously many people are reading it, so I could see it on the list.
#25 - January 21, 2014, 09:22 AM
www.deenalipomi.com

Mike Jung

I'm not terribly analytical about what's award-worthy or not, but I think ELEANOR & PARK and FANGIRL are both exemplary pieces of writing - vulnerable, funny, recognizably painful, emotionally honest, and superbly crafted. Rainbow Rowell is quite possibly my current author of chioce for memorable dialogue. FANGIRL had a stronger element of hey, giggly fun! for me, whereas E&P felt more psychologically wrenching to me, and my instinct is that psychologically wrenching is more "Printzy." Like I said, though, it's not very analytical, just what comes to my mind.
#26 - January 21, 2014, 09:36 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I'm not analytical  or anything either, Mike. I loved both Black Helicopters and Eleanor & Park for very different reasons so I root for both. But I am a tad biased... one of them is my agency sister and a BBer so, you know who I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for.    :whistle

And there are many on the list I haven't read. I could never be a judge, I would want to pick everyone. I forgot I read Far, Far Away. I loved that too.
#27 - January 21, 2014, 03:33 PM
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:37 PM by Shannywriter »
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
I've been trying to read titles I've seen on mock lists as well. Our regional library doesn't carry True Blue Scouts. I put in a purchase request.

I've read Doll Bones, Flora and Ulysses, and Counting by 7's. They were all good in their own way, but I didn't fall in love. I've also read Odette's Secret, Sure Signs of Crazy, and Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin. I started North of Nowhere, but put it down after page twenty-five. I haven't decided what to read next. I have Linda Urban's book -- I think it's The Center of Everything, Paperboy, and The Real Boy.

I'd have to say that out of what I've read Odette's Secret and Sure Signs of Crazy are my favorites.
#28 - January 21, 2014, 04:04 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I wish ELEANOR & PARK had been nominated for a Morris, bc I feel it would have more recognition there (as a first YA novel) since I just don't see it making the Printz list even though I really liked it. Seems like lately the Printz has been going to more literary/out there/very different stuff. That's what I mean by "Printzy." :) But I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

ETA link to last year's Printz winners: http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2013/01/darkness-wins-2013-printz-award

#29 - January 21, 2014, 05:45 PM
www.deenalipomi.com

Speaking of "Printzy", did anyone else read MIDWINTER BLOOD? If you define Printzy in terms of gorgeous writing, laden with themes, but not so easy to explain, it fits very well. Having said that, I liked it much more than I like a lot of literary writing.

I loved E & P, but have a sneaky feeling it might not make the list.
#30 - January 21, 2014, 06:02 PM

Members: