SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

middle grade historical fiction

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
 I am looking for an agent for my middle grade historical fiction novel set in medieval Spain. I have two picture books published already and this is my first novel. I have been working with Julie Lawrence from San Francisco, a freelance editor who used to work for Bloomsbury. She is not an agent and doesn't know anyone who can help me.
If you have a good agent who might represent me I would love to hear from you.
Margaret McManis
#1 - December 26, 2013, 07:52 PM

Query tracker is a great site for finding information on agents. That might be a good start for you. Best of luck!
#2 - December 27, 2013, 04:21 AM
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
You can also go to agentquery.com and narrow a search down for agents who represent the kinds of things you write. I would use a combination of that and querytracker to make a list of agents, but I would also google them (and maybe check the forums at absolutewrite.com and also the preditors and editors site) to do a background check on any on your list to query. Biggest thing to keep in mind is that money flows to the author (ie agents make a commission on the things they sell--they should not be asking for money from you pre-sale). That, and you want an agent who knows something about your genre, who either has bona fide sales or, if they're just starting out, is with an agency with known sales.

You might also read these threads on this board:

https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=30982.0 (for info on searching for an agent)
https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=51916.0 (things to ask if an agent shows interest and wants a conversation)
https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=25083.0 (before you sign a contract, although this is more about publishers. But it's still good to have in the back of your mind.)
#3 - December 27, 2013, 06:20 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Welcome, Margaret! Most agents who represent middle grade will be interested in historical fiction -- it's a large part of the age category. On Querytracker or Agentquery, just search for "middle grade," then further look into each agent's profile or site to see what their preferences are. Since you also write picture books, you might want to prioritize agents who rep that category as well.

Good luck!
#4 - December 27, 2013, 06:30 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

DEADWOOD, Spencer Hill, 2014
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I've found literary rambles.com to be a good resource for learning about agents. 
 :goodluck
#5 - December 27, 2013, 07:30 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
All these are good resources, but I'm seconding literaryrambles.com. This site does agent profiles compiled from info all over the web, which gives you the advantage of being able to click on interviews, blogs, twitter accounts, and so forth from one central site. It's a wonderful jumping-off point for your research. 

Many people have also found that getting a paid membership for $25 per year at querytracker is well worth the money.

:goodluck
#6 - December 27, 2013, 09:56 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Members: