SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

The Best and the Worst?

Discussion started on

Hi all-

As 2013 comes to a close, I thought it might be nice to reflect on some of the best (or maybe worst) writing advice we've heard.  In turn, it could be inspirational.

Being new to the fiction scene, I have not fully concluded what this is for me.  But for now I will say that the phrase "write and write often" sticks out.  I was feeling a bit in limbo with my manuscript and I took a short break from writing.  I subsequently felt my first surge of "writers' block".  Though I am happy I took a break, I feel like sometimes writers' block is a direct result of disconnecting from your writing when it's maybe not quite time. . .

Another one is to read often.  I have noticed that the more I read, the better writer I become.  I have a hard time with this, because I do not want to be so influenced by an author that I "mimic" their writing style too much.  But I think we are all influenced by other writers and in many ways I feel they are our teachers. . .right?

Hope you all are having a wonderful holiday season!
#1 - December 30, 2013, 11:23 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning."--Mark Twain
#2 - December 30, 2013, 02:12 PM
ROLLER BOY (Fitzroy Books, 2018)
AMY'S CHOICE (Luminis Books, 2014)
CALL ME AMY (Luminis Books, 2013)
www.marciastrykowski.com
Twitter: @MarciaStry

Members: