SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Do kids still wear gym suits?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Do high school kids still change into gym suits for PE? What do they look like?

I used to have a lovely blue knit shorts/sleeveless top combo. In middle school we actually had to sew our last names on the back.

Thanks!
Rebecca
#1 - January 03, 2014, 06:16 AM
TRIA AND THE GREAT STAR RESCUE, Delacorte
SQUISH, SQUASH, SQUISHED, Penguin 2021

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
My sons are homeschooled, but we see the kids outside of school when we're driving around. I most often see matching tee shirts -- school colors with shorts. I'm thinking way back to when I taught middle school .. that the kids had tee shirts and shorts--but it might have been whatever they brought from home.

Where I live, most middle and elementary schools require school uniforms anyway, so naturally, there is a P.E. uniform.

In my day, long, long ago, we had the cotton jumpsuits, snapped up the front, short cuffed leg, collar, short cuffed sleeves, name embroidered on the back and I believe on the front.
#2 - January 03, 2014, 06:31 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I know many of the private high school kids still do.
#3 - January 03, 2014, 06:53 AM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I don't know if it's a regional thing or a generational thing, but I've never lived anywhere where they actually called them "gym suits." However, once my kids hit middle school, all of them (in the three different states we've lived in for that time) have required specific PE clothes--a T-shirt with a certain logo on it (you have to buy it from the school or a sporting goods store who puts the logo on) and shorts of a particular color (but not always a particular look--my current school just said black with no stripes). Sometimes the school requires the kid's name to be emblazoned on it (ie by a professional), and sometimes the kids are allowed to write it on the front with a permanent marker. But definitely, in middle school and above, there are particular PE clothes they have to wear.

Never seen jumpsuits (ie anything zipped or long sleeved or long pants--not even in North Dakota where it's twenty below on any regular day).
#4 - January 03, 2014, 07:01 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
In my kids' public schools, there was no PE "dress code"--they could wear whatever athletic clothes they wanted, so long as they followed the school rules about appropriateness (no t-shirts with rude sayings or what have you, shorts of a modest length). In our high school, they didn't even have to change out of street clothes if they didn't want to for PE classes, so long as they had athletic shoes on. (Of course, my kids always took things like rock climbing and fencing because they have an adversarial relationship with balls moving through air...) At the private school my son attended for middle school, they had school t-shirts and shorts and sweats we were required to buy for the compulsory team sports.  This is in New England, btw--I expect this is one of those things that can be regional.
#5 - January 03, 2014, 07:23 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
We live outside of Washington DC, and kids in middle and high schools have PE uniforms--that's what they call them here, anyway. They're t-shirts with the school name and shorts, and you can also get gray sweatpants with the school name, as well. The t-shirts are color-coded by graduating class, so my daughter, who will graduate in 2020, has a gray t-shirt, but other classes (2019, 2021, etc.) have either purple or gold (school colors) or white. They only take PE up through 10th grade, btw.

Hope this helps!
#6 - January 03, 2014, 07:27 AM
FLYING THE DRAGON (Charlesbridge, 2012)
A LONG PITCH HOME (Charlesbridge, 2016)

www.nataliediaslorenzi.com
http://bibliolinks.wordpress.com/

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
>>(Of course, my kids always took things like rock climbing and fencing because they have an adversarial relationship with balls moving through air...)<<

Lol, Marissa. I took fencing and my husband did rock climbing for much the same reason...
#7 - January 03, 2014, 07:39 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
My big kids had gym clothes in 6-8 grades which we purchased thru the school (for girls there were options with the shorts -- either the regular grey ones or nylon "Nike"-style ones and a standard t-shirt). Ours are all the same color regardless of year/grade. The kids write their names in Sharpie or Rub-a-Dub in the blank on the t-shirt. In 9th grade my son wears his regular workout clothes for basketball practice (which takes the place of regular PE class and there is no particular dress code) along with a basketball jersey provided by the school rather than traditional PE stuff like in middle school. He says the regular PE classes have to buy PE uniforms that consist of shorts and t-shirts (all the same, no difference here for grade), but PE is only required through 10th grade. We have an outside PE option as well, where you can apply for PE credit for athletics you do outside of school (like rock climbing, fencing, dance, tennis) so you would never be in PE class with that option. We live in Texas. It may be that dressing out is more common where it is hot and where doing PE in your street clothes -- especially in high school - could have unfortunate consequences. Driving the 8th grade football carpool was definitely a windows-down event, and that was before everything really kicks in in high school. Hope this helps!
#8 - January 03, 2014, 07:53 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
My kids, now 8th grade, which is middle school, and 10th grade, which is high school, wear regular shorts and t-shirts for PE. The only requirement is that the shorts be modest for girls, and in middle school, they're required to wear a white t-shirt with their last name sharpied on it and dark shorts.
#9 - January 03, 2014, 08:31 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Yeah, the kids are so lucky these days, with the school tee and shorts. I had to wear an ugly sleeveless top back in the olden days...

I subbed in jr. high ACP (schoolday detention) last year, and a lot of girls got busted for shorts that were too short. (Not the boys, though, of course.   :) )
#10 - January 03, 2014, 11:27 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
My youngest is in a private high school. In middle school he wore a navy shorts and red tee-shirt, (which went along with school colors. In high school they can bring their own shorts and tee-shirts.
#11 - January 03, 2014, 11:39 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm new to the, er, game, as my oldest is only in 6th grade, but she keeps a pair of yoga pants, a tee shirt, and sneakers in her locker for PE days. That seems to be okay! I'm not sure what our high school requires, but I suspect it's the same. (South of Boston district)
#12 - January 03, 2014, 04:40 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks so much! Shorts and tee shirt it is.
Rebecca
#13 - January 03, 2014, 06:08 PM
TRIA AND THE GREAT STAR RESCUE, Delacorte
SQUISH, SQUASH, SQUISHED, Penguin 2021

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I'm in my mid 40s and I never knew anyone who did this except may be in a Catholic school. We wore sweats for gym in the winter and shorts and a T in warmer weather. (I grew up in a poorer area where the cost of specific clothes may have been prohibitive for some.) My seventh grade daughter wears about the same stuff I did. They allow leggings because those stretch. They stopped allowing jeans in the third grade because those don't stretch well.
#14 - January 05, 2014, 08:57 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I still see the high school kids walk by with the gym teacher, on their way to the park, in gym outfits. School colours, shorts and polo style tees. (Canada though, in case that matters:)
#15 - January 07, 2014, 04:35 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

My kids go to public middle school and have to bring in gym clothes to keep in their locker. No uniform, just shorts and a t-shirt.  That's what I did too when I was a public school kid. (I'm in my 40s.)
#16 - January 31, 2014, 03:50 PM
MG-SCHOOL OF CHARM
BACK ON THE MAP
Scholastic CB series:
ENCHANTED PONY ACADEMY
THE WISH FAIRY
MERMAIDS TO THE RESCUE '19
PB-GOODNIGHT LAGOON '19

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Here they were shorts and t-shirts that are the school colors.  Shorts are green and t-shirts may have school name on them, or where white - this was the MG. Not sure about HS.  Most likely the same thing.
#17 - February 01, 2014, 12:13 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
My youngest daughter had a t-shirt and shorts in the school colors (grey) and the school's name on the tee.
#18 - February 01, 2014, 07:44 PM

Members: